dcsimg

Are the Bosch vacs worth the cost?

This topic contains 136 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 137 total)
  • Author

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I happen to see that Lowes now carries the Bosch vacs here in Canada.

https://www.lowes.ca/products/default.aspx?tid=2068&atb=brand=bosch~type=dust-collector

wow I’m shocked just by looking at the prices. all those tool prices I have seen in the past are sky rocking high in canada.

The vacs are expensive everywhere! IMHO, they are worth the cost. My 9 gallon auto clean goes everywhere I go. Its one of the first tools loaded in the morning…definitely a good vac to have.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

@cb good points but some of the things you said unless you experience it you can’t really know. The bags on these kind of units a designed to fill up all the way and not loose suction at all until they are filled up. I have filled up several bags there I’d always suction until suddenly it drops that’s how you know it’s full. Taking the bag off its packed like a rock and you don’t get any bellowing and blowing back at you. It even has a little cardboard pull tab that covers the hole so no dust escapes.

I know the tool amps on these vacs are lower but I have used plenty of higher amp tools on there with no problems for years. It’s so nice not have multiple cords all over the place.

As far as larger stuff like drywall dust or plaster dust I have never had a problem any clogging

I used to think the price of these more expensive units were not worth it until I used one for myself. Now I have a bosch and a festool midi

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i only have limited experience with actual dust extractors. but they are well worth the money.. its a huge difference from a $140 shop vac which are designed solely for general cleanup

the only real annoyance about dust extractors for me is their extreemely limited availabiltiy… lee valley has the festool units but if you want a bosch, makita or dewalt you have to either order them online or special order from prime fasteners here in town

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Doobie
    Pro

I used to think the price of these more expensive units were not worth it until I used one for myself.

I have two Festools myself. I really believed I would have returned my first one in the trial 30 day period. That was close to ten years ago. Once you use one, you never want to go back to shopvac type units. They sell themselves.

Bosch also offers a 30 day trial period where you can take it back for a full refund if I’m not mistaken.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I happen to see that Lowes now carries the Bosch vacs here in Canada.

https://www.lowes.ca/products/default.aspx?tid=2068&atb=brand=bosch~type=dust-collector

wow I’m shocked just by looking at the prices. all those tool prices I have seen in the past are sky rocking high in canada.

The vacs are expensive everywhere! IMHO, they are worth the cost. My 9 gallon auto clean goes everywhere I go. Its one of the first tools loaded in the morning…definitely a good vac to have.

I never doubt that they are worth the cost. I was mainly talking about the price difference. And I am actually saving up for one myself.
    For instance, the VAC140A costs 669 USD in the states which is around 890 CAD.
    Then looking at doobies link from lowes, the VAC140A cost 1191 CAD

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie
    Pro

For instance, the VAC140A costs 669 USD in the states which is around 890 CAD.
    Then looking at doobies link from lowes, the VAC140A cost 1191 CAD

Yep, that’s not unusual for us up here. We pay through the nose sometimes versus US pricing. And don’t forget we get to pay a 13% sales tax on top of that, although in some provinces the tax can be as low as 5%.

But in this case Lowes seems to be overpricing them versus some other smaller retailers. I can find the 9 gal model for $699 at a couple of independant small retailers up here.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Bosch vacuum worth every penny in my eyes. One of my favorites. It’s nothing like you ever use before. I have 9 gallon semi I am planing to get the 14 gallon auto clean. @cb

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

@cb there is no way your craftsman dewalt or whatever brand you saying isn’t coming close to 150 cfm which is true suction. Not like other brands motors capacity to move air withoutfilter. When you add the filter your other vacuums it’s not even gonna come around 100cfm. Actually new ridgid 350$ vacuum has a 105 cm true power with. I believe was 16 gallon. Boschs vacuum is pro stuff. You never used anything like it i can guarantee you that. I have 6hp craftsman. Ridgid. And original sho p vac. You never getting anything like this. This vacuum is professional use when u cutting fine material. I use mine to grind concrete surface.which makes lot of dust but this vac handles it. Filter clean is great feature too. Attachment on the other hand is amazing. Well design.i have all diffrent type of bags. Wetbags paper. Resuable. I like using bags Cuz cleaning is a breeze. I’m not gonna cheap out on 3 dolar while cleaning will cost me even more.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

After seeing a few members here, use and comment about the Bosch vacuums
    I will eventually get one myself,
    Even seeing some YouTube video about the sound level and suction,
    If the members here are talking about how happy they are with the Bosch,
    That’s speaks volumes for me.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Is a Porsche worth more money than a Smart car? They both get you point A to B. Look all the vacs out there will suck up dust. The Bosch advantage is quiet operation, more power to extract more dust, and longer lasting too. Again the additional cost is related to the quality of the product.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

CB
    Pro

I’m trying to exclude emotions fueled by marketing from consideration, and compare only characteristics that can be quantifiable through measurement, while resisting assumptions from brand bias.

For example, the previous post suggests that the Bosch VAC090/140 Air Sweeps are “longer lasting too.” Longer lasting than what? Bosch announced the introduction of these models only three years ago, in the beginning of 2014. Is 3 years enough time to prove that the Bosch vacs will “last longer” than others?

The Sears Craftsman variable speed 16 gallon 11 amp shop vac that I use every time I need to capture dust from a tool, including yesterday, I bought new in 1987. That’s 30 years, not just 3.

On the other hand, quieter operation is a measurable quality, and without a doubt, the Bosch, Fein, and Festool dust collection vacuums are much quieter than the traditional shop vac, to be sure.

But the Bosch doesn’t have “more power” per se, if measuring power in motor amperage, and drawing a parallel between higher motor amperage and ability to do more work. These are measurable qualities, but then question of efficiency arises, which is probably why you added “to extract more dust”.

However, I’m willing to give up quietness for the best suction… and I’m still struggling to understand CFM versus lift, measuring air flow versus measuring inches of mercury or water column… the characteristics that gather dust from the air and get it into a can.

The traditional shop vacs really do advertise more CFM than the Bosch. A suggestion has been made in a post above that those CFM ratings are faked (like so called “peak” HP ratings, or like DeWalt’s “20V” rating on their batteries, which is the voltage of the surface charge immediately after charging, not the operating voltage, which is no better than the Bosch, Milwaukee, and Makita 18v). I can see the point.

But what I haven’t seen is any comparison test between vacuums where actual dirt was involved. Regardless of machine specs, how much dirt was removed from the air surrounding the tool that the vacuum was attached to, with all other things being equal. If someone knows of such tests, please link them so that I can learn more about them. Thanks.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I have to say it doesn’t matter what dust extractor or vac you use, you should add the dust deputy if a cyclone isn’t a part of the machinery itself. I’ve used it with my ridgid and with my bosch vac. My oneida has one already attached to it. From a real world application, at its basic uses, the ridgid works just as well. However you spend more money on quality, feel of the machine, how the machine works, so that it doesn’t take a screwdriver to pop open my ridgid. The machine turning on and off with the activation of the tool, the filter cleaning so you can run the machine longer than the ridgid. All in all the bosch is a very good vac for what it is. You want more power you’d have to go with a full shop sized 9 to 12 foot tall dust extractor.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

the biggest bit of informatin that hasnt been included in this discussion is how well regular shop vacs handle clean dust extraction… so what if a tool can suck but if its not going to meat the new regulations regarding to silica and such which come into effect in june of this year whats the point of using it…

there will be fines handed out to people who arent compliant

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Yeah I have used a shop vac for dust extraction and if there is sunlight coming into the room you can see how dirty the air is. The more expensive dust extractors filter all the dust out. The cheaper shop vacs recirculate a lot of dust and blow dust into the air. Also if you are looking for a quantifiable measurable thing between them sometimes it’s just not something that you can measure. Like I said before until you actually use one you don’t know what you are missing.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I’ve thought about a the Bosch vacs before but never really looked into them based on the prices, but after reading through this whole thread I just might have to think twice.

Doobie
    Pro

I’ve thought about a the Bosch vacs before but never really looked into them based on the prices, but after reading through this whole thread I just might have to think twice.

This is the thread you should review if that is the case. It’s the most comprehensive thread on this forum about them.

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/bosch-dust-extractor-lets-talk/

I’d also recommend pulling up the online owners manuals on both types and going thru them. The biggest decision to make is whether one wants a semi or an auto model.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Yes definitely a worth while investment especially if you ate always working in a space that the client is still living in and for your health as well. I will be writing a review on the Bosch extractor in the next week or so

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Here is the list of the vacuums dewalt hepa makita hepa hilti hepa and ridgid hepa dewalt is at 73 l/s which means 150cfm

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Dewalt is at 150 cfm makita is 135 cfm hilti is 130cfm ridgid is 50 l/s which means 105cfm. Ridgid is at 350$ dewalt makita is pretty close to bosch hilti is double so you tell me what is the diffrent.

CB
    Pro

One issue that I would want more information about is the cost of replacement filters. Highly proprietary designs limited to a single brand often means high prices for consumables, making the high initial cost of the machine even more painful over time, because the specialized branded machine takes only one brand of filter.

On the other hand, I have found some interchangeability in the cylindrical style traditional shop vac filters between the Shop Vac, Craftsman, and Ridgid brands. Even HEPA rated filters. Now, I can’t say which exact models interchange, because I’ve acquired about 8 filters over the last 30 years that I run in rotation, and I can’t remember where I bought which filter. But the point is, the common size interchange gives consumers a choice in consumables, and that choice leads to competitive pricing and more plentiful sources.

The heart of any dust removal system is the filter… and the cost of renewing consumable filters over a projected period of time will definitely figure into the expense equation as much as the initial cost of the equipment.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.582 seconds