dcsimg

Are the Bosch vacs worth the cost?

This topic contains 136 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • Author

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I have to say it all depends what you need it for. For general purpose dust collection specifically with concrete dust, it is great. If you need one for wood dust then get a oneida dust collection system. However that being said, i’ve used my bosch vac90s on every little project i have inside and outside the shop. Best portable vac ever.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I’ve been thinking about the same, getting one to replace the noisy shopvac. But man, $700 is a lot of money.

woodman_412

I’ve been thinking about the same, getting one to replace the noisy shopvac. But man, $700 is a lot of money.

I was on the fence about mine before I bought it since it does have a hefty price tag compared to a typical shop vac but I’ll tell you it was worth every penny that I spent on it. I can’t imagine working without it now.

Dan

danpattison.com

Doobie
    Pro

Once you do it, you don’t look back. I’m on #2 since2009 and looking at maybe getting a third as a DIYer/Woodworker with a seperate sytem in my shop as a dedicated DC system to each major machine/station.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I was on the fence about mine before I bought it since it does have a hefty price tag compared to a typical shop vac but I’ll tell you it was worth every penny that I spent on it. I can’t imagine working without it now.

Once you do it, you don’t look back. I’m on #2 since2009 and looking at maybe getting a third as a DIYer/Woodworker with a seperate sytem in my shop as a dedicated DC system to each major machine/station.

I sure hope so, going to watch the price and hopefully it’ll come down a bit during the holidays.

Doobie
    Pro

I sure hope so, going to watch the price and hopefully it’ll come down a bit during the holidays.

I assume you are looking ata non-Festool vac. Festool has a NA annual price increase, but now because LV forced them, they have mid year ones also here in Canada if our looney moves around to much.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I assume you are looking ata non-Festool vac. Festool has a NA annual price increase, but now because LV forced them, they have mid year ones also here in Canada if our looney moves around to much.

I’ll stick Bosch to keep all my tools the same color lol.

Used to play the waiting game, still do on some things. For me it wasn’t a good way to go. I would wait, then something else would come out, so I would wait, in the long run kicked myself more than once for not just getting it

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Aren’t the Bosch vacs more highly regarded anyway? I’m very happy with mine fwiw. It comes with me to basically every job.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

looks like everyone is happy with their dust extractors. some even want a second 😀
    I would definitely get one myself…

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Aren’t the Bosch vacs more highly regarded anyway? I’m very happy with mine fwiw. It comes with me to basically every job.

They have a higher cfm to them. And the festool ones that have an auto clean feature is a lot more expensive

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.
    @jponto07 wrote:

What 9gl. vac do you have? Why is it the good one IYO?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN
    @jponto07 wrote:

What 9gl. vac do you have? Why is it the good one IYO?

Mine is the auto clean version. It’s incredibly powerful and somehow makes cleanup fun 😆

I really enjoy hooking it to tools and having a clean space after I make cuts or sand something as well. I’m sure this vac isn’t The Only good one, but it has exceeded my expectations left and right. If it dies today I’d buy another without hesitation.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

looks like everyone is happy with their dust extractors. some even want a second 😀
    I would definitely get one myself…

If I didn’t have my Oneida mini gorllia I’d definitelyget a second one, probably a 14gal automatic to pair with my 9gal semi

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

My biggest gripe about this dust extractor is the fact that I feel that you have to pair it with the dust deputy to really max it out. The auto feature is great but with the dust deputy you can redirect most of the dust to the dust deputy bin leaving only the fine dust hitting the filter. I find with out the dust deputy i have to use the air compressor to clean out the filter after every use.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

My biggest gripe about this dust extractor is the fact that I feel that you have to pair it with the dust deputy to really max it out. The auto feature is great but with the dust deputy you can redirect most of the dust to the dust deputy bin leaving only the fine dust hitting the filter. I find with out the dust deputy i have to use the air compressor to clean out the filter after every use.

I need a new Dust Deputy, I had an employee ont paying attention the other day and threw something on it, knocking it over and breaking the top off. I was not real happy. For a little while I am stuck with just a shop vac for dust collection.

CB
    Pro

I’ve been looking at getting one of these Bosch Air Sweep vacuums, and found myself facing the same question posed by JPG: Are the Bosch vacs worth the cost?

I also found myself in agreement with many of the salient points brought up by JPG, some of which I didn’t know or consider until reading this thread. Some of JPG’s observations are in quotes below:

“the “luxury features” may not be as useful as they first appear to be.”

Thanks for splashing a bit of reality about the Bosch Air Sweeps, raising points and caveats that are not mentioned in the sales literature for these $650 vacuums.

“The 150 cfm rating (of the Bosch AirSweep) isn’t any higher than some of the larger Ridgid vacs I could pick up for a fraction of the price.”

Full size, 6.5 rated, 11 amp vacs from Ridgid, Crafstman, ShopVac, and equivalents have CFM ratings averaging 180, up to 225 CFM in one model I found.

“The vac is HEPA rated when used with their HEPA filter, which is a big plus. However, you can’t use the filter cleaning option with a HEPA filter installed in it.”

And, you can get Hepa filters at Sears and Walmart and Home Depot for Craftsman, Shop Vac, and Ridgid shop vacs.

“It also mentions that it shouldn’t be used for asbestos. I don’t do asbestos abatement, but I do vacuum up some small amounts of attic insulation and other materials that likely contain as least some asbestos. This negates the point of both the filter cleaning and HEPA ability. You can use it with bags and the filter won’t need to be cleaned, but the Ridgid vacs can do the same.”

Sometimes, using bags can expose a person to more dust inhalation than not using bags. Why? Because the bags have to be changed, and if the bag is a barrel mount, then when the operator goes to remove the bag and gather the ends to close it, the bag itself becomes a big bellows that poofs and blows the lighter fines of it’s contents directly into the face and nostrils of the person gather the bag.

One thing I do with shop vacs is use water to clean them inside, without a bag. After removing the motor, I spray a fine mist of water over the tub, which wets down the fines, and then I increasingly add water until it is a slurry that can be poured out with zero airborne dust.

There is no environmental contamination, as long as the dust is wood or cementious fibers. And asbestos and fiberglass fibers are only hazards when airborne and breathed. Fussing around with bags that act like bellows is more likely to expose the bag changer to fine particle inhalation.

I don’t do asbestos work, so I can’t speak to any regulatory mandates in any given jurisdiction. But I’ve seen a lot of so called asbestos abatement contractors at work. IT’s THEATER. Like a kabuki play, they don the costumes, and dress the set in plastic… all for the visual benefit of the customer and the inspector. But behind the stage, the real work is done by poorly paid immigrants who are under such pressure to keep their jobs by keeping up with the completion pace their foremen demands, that their sweaty masks and hoods come off, and the abated material is dumped with regular trash, etc. A joke really. But that’s real world. Seen the same reality from residential all the way up to government building abatements.

Back to shop vacs. I also use water to clean the pleated paper shop vac filters. I spray them down, and let em dry. I run about 8 filters in sequence, so at any given time I’ve got at least 3 or 4 fully dry filters, while the others are in use, or drying out from a previous cleaning. Beats banging the dry dirt out of a filter, which does nothing but poof all that dust back into the air for me to breath in concentrated form.

“The “power tool activation” is another great feature that I would love to use. Unfortunately, it is limited to 7.5 amp tools with the power broker dial turned down, and 5.5 amp tools while using max suction. Other than my sander, all of my corded tools are 8-15 amps.”

I always use two separate circuits for dust collection and tool operation. In my shop, meager as it is, I rewired every tool that had a dual voltage motor into 230v, in order to take advantage of the lower current efficiency that higher voltage operation permits. Dust collection is still operation at 115v.

On remote job sites, I find two separate circuits on the property, and run 10 gauge, 100 ft extension cords to where I need. Tool in one circuit, vacuum in the other. No sense in overheating someone else’s electrical system. I’ve seen too many times where wires have burned, but the breaker didn’t pop. Two times was too many.

“It would be fantastic used with a miter saw, table saw, or router, but it isn’t possible even with a 20 amp circuit. Some sort of a relay would be nice, where you could plug a second extension cord into a separate circuit to run a 15 amp tool, and it would still turn the vac on when the tool is activated. This can be accomplished with the Fastcap remote…”

The FastCAP wireless remote is only $29.99 at Rockler:

http://www.rockler.com/fastcap-remote-control-vacuum-switch

Other folks have posted youtube videos of remote vacuum switches for even less money.

“The L-Boxx integration on the top is cool, but not that useful for my needs. I use too many tools at once to switch boxes out, and my work isn’t in large commercial buildings where mobility is a priority.”

Same here. All my tools that I would want kept and transported cases, already came with their own cases designed specifically for the tool, and none of those cases are L Boxxes.

“What I’m left with is the noise reduction being the only real advantage, and then whether or not it is worth 4x the cost. With a lot of tools, I’m wearing hearing protection anyways.”

And the Fein is reportedly just as quiet as the Bosch, and at $399, is still $250 less than the Bosch. And a top of the line, top rated, high CFM shop vacuum with 200 CFM is at least $500 less than the Bosch, and while noisier, a pair of 3M SPF30 earmuffs ring in at less than 1/6th of just the sales tax alone on the Bosch.

“I’m a big believer in “buy once, cry once” and that purchasing high-quality tools is always a sound investment, but I’m struggling with what real-world advantage it gives me in this case.”

Me too.

“I did forget that the largest hoses for the Bosch vacs are 35mm, or 1 3/8″. While it seems that they are geared towards collecting dust from power tools, do they do an acceptable job as general “shop vacs” on jobsites? Sucking up drywall, tile, and wood chunks, etc? My Ridgid vac was constantly getting clogged with the 1 7/8″ hose that it shipped with, but it was largely due to the low suction power. It would jam up with leaves that it should easily be able to fold or break up if it had better suction. I have been using it with the 2 1/2″ hose lately and it doesn’t get clogged nearly as often. It can handle much larger pieces of wood, drywall, tile, etc, but it doesn’t have enough suction to pick up drywall screws now.”

Interesting point. Smaller diameter hoses create more restriction to flow, and the corrugations within the hose do not help one bit. The larger diameter hoses move the corrugated sides further apart from each other, which enables the inner column of air flow in the center of the hose to be less fettered by the disturbances around the periphery. I hooked up a 2.5″ hose directly to the miter saw chute for this reason.

And then r-ice posted:

“My biggest gripe about this dust extractor is the fact that I feel that you have to pair it with the dust deputy to really max it out. The auto feature is great but with the dust deputy you can redirect most of the dust to the dust deputy bin leaving only the fine dust hitting the filter. I find with out the dust deputy i have to use the air compressor to clean out the filter after every use.”

I’ll have to try one of these dust deputies. I’ve seen these cyclone like contraptions, but haven’t taken the time to look into what they were all about. I got set in my ways some 30 years ago, so the newer inventions sometimes escape me.

I wouldn’t object to spending the money on the newer dust collecting vacuums such as the Bosch Air Sweep, but like the original poster, I’m having trouble seeing the value return for the money spent. I’m certainly open to being recalibrated though, and so I’ll continue to read and listen for feedback regarding the points that JPG raised.

Doobie
    Pro

I happen to see that Lowes now carries the Bosch vacs here in Canada.

https://www.lowes.ca/products/default.aspx?tid=2068&atb=brand=bosch~type=dust-collector

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I happen to see that Lowes now carries the Bosch vacs here in Canada.

https://www.lowes.ca/products/default.aspx?tid=2068&atb=brand=bosch~type=dust-collector

wow I’m shocked just by looking at the prices. all those tool prices I have seen in the past are sky rocking high in canada.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.990 seconds