dcsimg

Are incandescent light bulbs going away?

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

my entire house is LED. Homedepot is starting to carry more and more LED’s nowadays

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

Funny how this old thread just got re-booted as just a few days ago I had started collecting in a box all the old incandescent bulbs we have lying around for the next trash pick up at the curb. There’s only a very few that I’ll keep that are certain speciality type bulbs.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The LED bulbs are a big improvement over the fluorescent bulbs. But for quality of warm light nothing beats an incandescent bulb.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I think we have seen the last of both incandescent and fluorescent lamps. It will take a while to replace them totally with LEDs but it will happen. I know that I will be changing out the last of the fluorescents in my shop as they die. Not all at once but it will happen.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

I think we have seen the last of both incandescent and fluorescent lamps. It will take a while to replace them totally with LEDs but it will happen. I know that I will be changing out the last of the fluorescents in my shop as they die. Not all at once but it will happen.

I agree, I am in the process of going all LED as well.

Will

yellaD
    Pro

I don’t see how they’d be produced when LED is cheaper and cheaper. Who wants to change bulbs when it’s 20ft up there? LEDS make so much more sense in those hard to reach areas. Unfortunately it’s one less small job for the handy man, but hey it helps 5he majority. I’m surprised there isn’t LED version of every bulb out there already.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The LED bulbs are a big improvement over the fluorescent bulbs. But for quality of warm light nothing beats an incandescent bulb.

I like then too. The fluorescent give me a headache.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The fluorescent give me a headache.

Even the instant on ones take a while to warm up so they give full light. I don’t like that at all.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Fluorescent lights are a classic migraine trigger.

Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Fluorescent lights are a classic migraine trigger.

Same here. I bought a stack of incandescents when they were going away, now I might toss the remaining stock since my whole house is now LED – only exception is the garage shop which has several dozen T8 tubes. Expensive to replace all at once, so I swap each to LED as they burn out, which is a very slow process since they aren’t that old and last a long time

CB
    Pro

Edison screw fixtures (such as recessed can lights that can accept screw in bulbs, whether incandescent, par halogen, or CFL) won’t pass inspection in some areas if the remodeling work in the kitchen is over X amount per the permit pulled, or if certain types of work is done where walls are penetrated, cabinets are replaced, not just refaced, etc.

Low voltage lighting fixtures that cannot accept traditional bulbs are required, just like self timed bathroom fan switches are required to be retrofitted on bathroom remodels. Perhaps these codes are somewhat regional, but they are real. I suspect a proliferation of codes like this to spread, which will trigger market forces to shutter the availability of older bulbs as market demand continues to fade.

I bought cases and cases and cases of CFL’s for 11 cents each. I’ll go through a house and relamp every fixture with CFL’s as an energy saving measure, and keep the perfectly good incandescent bulbs. Not sure what I’ll do with this growing collection of incandescent bulbs, but maybe one day when they are outlawed from manufacture, they will be worth something to decorators of antique Victorian homes (although LEDs can be had in color temperatures and color rendering index that would replicate the warmth of incandescent).

Earlier this year, General Electric announced that it was exiting the light bulb business altogether. Hard to imagine a light bulb without the cursive GE symbol on it’s nose.

Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

LED’s literally come in any color under the sun, so as for replicating the output of an incandescent…its not a problem. Unless you literally want a “warm” bulb! There’s plenty of heat coming off of them!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

nly exception is the garage shop which has several dozen T8 tubes. Expensive to replace all at once, so I swap each to LED as they burn out,

Doing the same thing myself, replacing with LED in the shop as either the ballasts go bad or the bulbs burn out. The LEDs are brighter and quieter.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

nly exception is the garage shop which has several dozen T8 tubes. Expensive to replace all at once, so I swap each to LED as they burn out,

Doing the same thing myself, replacing with LED in the shop as either the ballasts go bad or the bulbs burn out. The LEDs are brighter and quieter.

We are replacing most of our bulbs with LED as we get deals or need to replace bulbs. I put 4 – 500 W equivalent corn cob LED bulbs in my shop over the main work areas, man are they bright.

Doobie

There’s still some odd stick style bulbs we have in some desk lamps that don’t have reasonably priced LED versions. Those ones are real energy hungry at 100 watts and up each.

CB
    Pro

I use long finger like bulbs as “retirement” lights on stationary shop tools. I refashioned a music stand light that has an Edison screw and accommodates a 6″ long finger like bulb to the blade guard of my radial saw. The long stick of light parallel to the blade provides a broader distribution of light along the blade path, that follows the blade at every angle, while safely ensconced in a narrower housing that remains out of the way.

Similarly, I scavenged the incandescent lamp fixture out of a failed floor vacuum cleaner head, set aside the original bayonet mount bulb, and replaced it with a long skinny Exit sign bulb with the same mount, did some metal work to extend the reflector of the fixture, and ended up with another broadly dispersed row of light emanating from a compact form factor, to illuminate the blade and table of my bandsaw.

No doubt there are LED equivalents available for music stands and Exit signs, but they might require an entirely different fixture. Finding odd specialty shaped LED replacement lamps for existing incandescent fixtures is probably more difficult. I’ve seen LED replacements for stick style halogen desk lamp bulbs on Alibaba, but never in a local supply shop or hardware store.

Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.433 seconds