dcsimg

Are incandescent light bulbs going away?

This topic contains 39 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Razdringus 6 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • Author

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I went to Menards last night to get a few thing and I need a box of incandescent light bulbs. I was getting the bulbs for a ceiling lamp in the dining room that has a single pole dimmer switch. I never had one of these before (apt life) so I ask someone can I use a standard bulb or do they make a certain dimmer bulb (like a lamp that has a 3way switch that the light goes from low med high an off) the store associate told me they quit making incandescent light bulbs 17 months ago and everything is going LED. My light dimmer switch (I recently replaced) is not LED compatible.

So my question is are incandescent light bulbs going to be going away and be obsolete?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I do believe that the incandescent bulb is being phased out. I would think that it is more the bulb that has to be dimable than the switch not being compatible. just make sure the bulb says dimable. You may have to go with a CFL in lieu of the LED.

I know I have dimable CFL’s in my house

Incandescent will get replaced by halogen bulbs anyways due to the higher lumen/watts, then they’ll try to make the jump with CFL/LED but it seems jumping to LED is wiser than jumping to CFLs then LEDs. I’ve already replaced most of my old CFLs, especially the ones that burned out first.

You can still get incandescent bulbs for the near future since there’s an exemption for heavy duty/rough service bulbs from what I remember about the phaseout legislation.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

OK. I didn’t know if they were trying to sell me something I don’t need. They did say with the LED they are energy efficient compared to the switch I have that uses the incandescent bilb.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

You will have to get dimable LED bulbs and a dimmer switch that is rated for LED’s.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

That’s what I’ve been hearing for the past few years. Hardware stores have been dumping their stock of incandescents for a while now. And I completely agree with @reflector – just jumping straight to LED will make the most sense long term if you can pony up and get them.

Charlie

Instagram

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

Ron is right on. Dimable LEDs will work with a regular(universal) dimmer…. BUT… you may not get full range, the bulbs may pulse, flicker or strobe. C-L rated dimmer switches have a range adjustment on them so you can kinda dial it in to the dimable LED bulb you’re using

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Ron is right on. Dimable LEDs will work with a regular(universal) dimmer…. BUT… you may not get full range, the bulbs may pulse, flicker or strobe. C-L rated dimmer switches have a range adjustment on them so you can kinda dial it in to the dimable LED bulb you’re using

Did not know that to get the full range on dimmable LEDs you need to also change the switch. !0 min deal but still. Anyway I’d go LED and change the switch too.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The LED are so much more energy efficient and longer lasting that in a way they pay for themselves. I expect incandescent bulbs will soon only be found only in museums.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Thanks everyone for you input. I appreciate it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I expect incandescent bulbs will soon only be found only in museums.

Yeah they are getting tougher to find.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

KenW
    Pro

I don’t have any LED lights in the house fixtures but am curious about them. I do have a LED fixture on one aquarium and notice it tends to give a nice shimmer effect to the tank; essentially replicating natural light reflections underwater behavior a little more accurately.

Do LED’s wavelength pattern change how your rooms look like they change my aquarium?

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I wouldn’t think so, but I don’t know. Hopefully someone can answer this question.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I personally love the led lights and have switched over most all of my lights here at home. Saves energy and last longer. they do make a soft white and a day light bulb . I recommend the soft white in the house. Bright white works nice for me in the shop.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

I don’t have any LED lights in the house fixtures but am curious about them. I do have a LED fixture on one aquarium and notice it tends to give a nice shimmer effect to the tank; essentially replicating natural light reflections underwater behavior a little more accurately.

Do LED’s wavelength pattern change how your rooms look like they change my aquarium?

I have some soft whites in my house. I don’t see a difference with them or an incandescent

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I have some soft whites in my house. I don’t see a difference with them or an incandescent

The soft with ones are nice in the house. A little warmer color to me. The blue of the 5000k bulbs can be a little bright to me.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The LED’s seem to be a much brighter whiter light to me. I like them in place of the CFL’s because they do not have to “heat up” to be full bright, they are at their full light as soon as you turn them on. Much better in an office or bathroom.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The LED’s seem to be a much brighter whiter light to me

They are. For inside use to me they are too harsh. Do they make an LED with the warm white of the old incandescent bulbs?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Just get the soft white.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Just get the soft white.

Oh so they do make them in soft white, Thank you I’ll have to look for them.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.676 seconds