dcsimg

Are Data, Project Management Software and IoT the future of construction?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Most of us have heard of Big Data, but how does that make its way onto a jobsite and even more importantly how does it apply to the jobsites of the future? Project management software is a step in the right direction, as it allows superintendents and managers to clearly see the “big” picture all in one place. But there is a revolution on the horizon in the form of connected tools, people and things (IoT) that will soon be feeding project software with data. The influx of all that information will be a challenge for an industry that traditionally has lagged behind others in the adoption of new technology that has the potential to improve performance and profits.

What are your thought on how the age of sensors will or can affect the future of large commercial jobsites?

A recent blog post article by GenieBelt references our own BeThePro.com community manager Jim Lillig and his views on where the industry can go by adoppting new technologies.

Read the entire post here.

Looking forward to your input and thoughts.

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

I definitely think so. I was commissioned by a large firm to do a big data assessment and to scope out a major BI/Big Data project. Lots of information to use, without a significant overhead to the daily operations.

Its shocking what can be gleaned from the information as soon as you start looking. For example, as a strange side effect, we noticed that one site uses triple the consumables of any other site. First assumption was that someone was selling on the side, but it turned out that they were actually the only guys not cutting corners, and it was the other teams that were not using enough fasteners and the like. Realizing the averages (including standard deviations) gave the ability to flag an outlier and investigate why.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I think this is definitely the way every industry is headed, everything is a number and is trackable. WIll be key in identifying what problems arise on site. What @montreal
    _woodworks said is great about finding out the guys who ended up using the most consumables was doing it right. I remember @utopia78 comment prior that he encountered several people just cutting corners and not doing it right, with the sensors, it will ensure everything is done properly.

I definitely think so. I was commissioned by a large firm to do a big data assessment and to scope out a major BI/Big Data project. Lots of information to use, without a significant overhead to the daily operations.

Its shocking what can be gleaned from the information as soon as you start looking. For example, as a strange side effect, we noticed that one site uses triple the consumables of any other site. First assumption was that someone was selling on the side, but it turned out that they were actually the only guys not cutting corners, and it was the other teams that were not using enough fasteners and the like. Realizing the averages (including standard deviations) gave the ability to flag an outlier and investigate why.

That was a great find during that process you did . Finding miss profit and lose is a tricky thing sometimes . You never know we’re the software takes you .

Always willing to learn .

@RonW 🤷‍♂️👆

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.345 seconds