dcsimg

Applied base cap to stair stringer.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I think Chad was talking about this ( I’d do a return)

Attachments:
    Stilla
    Pro

I ground down the base/plinth. I like, many thought there were too many lines. i think this looks a lot better. It sucks that i have a flush joint, but, its on a short wall of a stair landing in a spec home.

Stilla
    Pro

I have been trying to use the same theme when doing base caps on stringers. Here are a few things i like to do. On a scissor miter, I plumb the stringer, and I cut the cap so on 3 sides of the miter, i have equal exposure on the flat. Here are 2 examples.

Stilla
    Pro

Sometimes there are 2 different size baseboards in the home. I always give the larger base dominance, and carry that profile on the stair stringer where it terminates into the smaller profile. Here’s why, in one image I terminated the smaller profile into the larger base, and if you look at the cut, its a pain to make, its just easier to terminate the larger profile into the smaller one.

I also need to clarify, this is a single piece baseboard, I am ripping off the upper profile from the baseboard, on my table saw to make the cap.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I have been trying to use the same theme when doing base caps on stringers. Here are a few things i like to do. On a scissor miter, I plumb the stringer, and I cut the cap so on 3 sides of the miter, i have equal exposure on the flat. Here are 2 examples.

Nice work
    Looks like someone is ruff on your risers. Hope they had to sand off all the marks.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Yes, I was talking about that and the un-mitered outside corner on the same trim piece.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Stilla
    Pro

Yes, I was talking about that and the un-mitered outside corner on the same trim piece.

I think i figured it out. Base trim, is something i call shoe molding. I had to account for its width, as i am very close to the stair nosing. I can’t install the shoe until the floors and stairs are finished. I left the scraps in the image to show that I accounted for it.

Typically when i install the shoe, it already has one coat of paint on it. We do this so its easier for the painter to not get paint on the finished floor.

Stilla
    Pro

Here’s a problem stringer i resolved, window in a stair stringer. after weeks of thinking about it, we decided to return the base cap on the window apron, added a plinth
    at the landing for the baseboard, and we raked the window stool, and died the stool into the stair noising.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Here’s a problem stringer i resolved, window in a stair stringer. after weeks of thinking about it, we decided to return the base cap on the window apron, added a plinth at the landing for the baseboard, and we raked the window stool.

Wow I’m shocked the architect wasn’t back charged to move that window up to where it needed to be, I hope it’s tempered.

Stilla
    Pro

Here’s a problem stringer i resolved, window in a stair stringer. after weeks of thinking about it, we decided to return the base cap on the window apron, added a plinth at the landing for the baseboard, and we raked the window stool.

Wow I’m shocked the architect wasn’t back charged to move that window up to where it needed to be, I hope it’s tempered.

cant move the window as its placement is determined by the exterior trim. the architect understood that we would have to resolve the condition, I think we came up with a good resolve.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

cant move the window as its placement is determined by the exterior trim. the architect understood that we would have to resolve the condition, I think we came up with a good resolve.

To me that looks like a mess! He could have ordered a window that was 18″ shorter or many different options. Doesn’t can’t mean wont ???

Stilla
    Pro

here’s another window on a stair landing. the base, the base cap and the stool all land at the same elevation. i wish my boss let me install ears on the stool, we already slimmed down the stool so it didnt effect the waking path.

Stilla
    Pro

To me that looks like a mess! He could have ordered a window that was 18″ shorter or many different options. Doesn’t can’t mean wont ???

on this job the architect has authority, we build what they want, its what the client expects.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Here’s a problem stringer i resolved, window in a stair stringer. after weeks of thinking about it, we decided to return the base cap on the window apron, added a plinth
    at the landing for the baseboard, and we raked the window stool, and died the stool into the stair noising.

Architects! Not only building homes for people, but building places for spiders and dust bunnies too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

@stilla are those last two windows possibly up to code? I feel like I’ve heard windows near stairs, especially at a low height as those are, are a violation due to the likely possibility of a fall.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

on this job the architect has authority, we build what they want, its what the client expects.

I definitely hear that, but I’m surprised it’s allowed. Obviously not questioning your work, and I think for both you did as good a job as you could. I’m just surprised the building inspector didn’t find fault with it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I definitely hear that, but I’m surprised it’s allowed. Obviously not questioning your work, and I think for both you did as good a job as you could. I’m just surprised the building inspector didn’t find fault with it.

Oh I agree the trim work around the misplaced windows looks great. No we can’t put a stair window on the floor over here. Architects often need corrected, it’s nothing new.

You did a great job with what you were givin under those windows @stilla . Sometime the trim is never thought out right during build phase . Just when the house is to far built .

Always willing to learn .

Stilla
    Pro

As long as the glass is tempered, the window is will pass inspection. I think on the last 5 out of 6 jobs i was on, a window was stuck on a landing in an awkward way. In this image the window on the landing is over 5 feet tall. the landing deck splits the window in half. In this case we had to frame the landing and trim it out so the casing is unobstructed. Meaning there is a gap , and a noising at the window. The client liked the iron work so he wanted it to run up both sides of the stairs. It wasn’t a code thing. Still a pain to trim. Wish i had more pic of this one, it was a pain to trim.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

In this image the window on the landing is over 5 feet tall. the landing deck splits the window in half.

Is this the same Architect

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.332 seconds