dcsimg

Applied base cap to stair stringer.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Stilla
    Pro

I have searched goggle for years, hoping to find a if anyone spoke about their understanding of how to make a stair stringer look more elegant. Crown has different spring angles, and that is to adjust for ceiling heights. Chair rail has a determined height based upon ceiling height, and not the height of a chair you sit in. Many things we do have been pondered about for thousands of years, and yet I cant find a resource for stair stringers.

SO I felt that maybe I could post my work, and maybe a conversation could be had that would help me and the community.

When building this stringer cap I have the total right to make it my own. The size of the elements and how it appears is my design. Let me know if you think its flawed, or how you would scale “things.”

Stilla
    Pro

More images.

Stilla
    Pro

missed one

Attachments:
    ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I like the look but in the last pic why not miter the base trim? Or at return it back?

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Stilla
    Pro

Not sure i understand, i assume you mean this.

Attachments:
    WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

That’s what I was going to ask about aswell. I’m sure that is what Chad was looking at also.

It just looks like it should be mitered, but you’ve probably got some plan in mind.

Otherwise I think it all looks great.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I like the look but in the last pic why not miter the base trim? Or at return it back?

I saw that too. I just assumed it wasn’t finished and he just placed it there to show where it would be. Frankly, the whole deal looks a bit busy to me.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Yes, that is what I was talking about.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Stilla
    Pro

if you are asking why i used 5/4 as a plinth to terminate the base? well then i agree, i wish in hind sight, that i didn’t do it. if i had to do it again, i would have terminated the 5/4 at the rake, and i should have carried the thickness of the base around the wall.

the reason i decided with a 5/4 plinth, is that the adjacent stringer will mate with the floor, and a 1x base will die into it, resembling the detail in question.

still with that said, i want to take a belt sander to the 5/4 plinth to reduce it to the thickness of the base.

Stilla
    Pro

if you are asking why i used 5/4 as a plinth to terminate the base? well then i agree, i wish in hind sight, that i didn’t do it. if i had to do it again, i would have terminated the 5/4 at the rake, and i should have carried the thickness of the base around the wall.

the reason i decided with a 5/4 plinth, is that the adjacent stringer will mate with the floor, and a 1x base will die into it, resembling the detail in question.

still with that said, i want to take a belt sander to the 5/4 plinth to reduce it to the thickness of the base.

it bother me so much i might just rip it off and replace it with 1x.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I saw that too. I just assumed it wasn’t finished and he just placed it there to show where it would be. Frankly, the whole deal looks a bit busy to me.

Have to agree with Warren. I think it looks busy for lack of better words. Just to much going on.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It looks good but in the first pic is that belly board under the flooring got a end grain on it?? Square butt instead of 45º mitered?

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

No, not the 5/4 plinth. The trim detail at the bottom of the plinth….why square cuts short of the corner instead of miters?

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Stilla
    Pro

This project requires me to terminate 2 rake moldings. i have to fabricate a place where that can happen, or i have to fabricate my own moldings. http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2015/05/01/raking-cornice-part-1/

it is busy because the architect didn’t give the stairs enough space.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

It looks good but in the first pic is that belly board under the flooring got a end grain on it?? Square butt instead of 45º mitered?

If it’s gonna get painted and caulked in the end, would there be a difference structurally? Seems okay to me as long as it’s getting paint rather than stain. I like the first job better than the second. Or maybe it’s the same job, in which case I like the top of the stair better than the bottom. I also assumed that the base molding (shoe molding you might call it, but it’s more fancy than most base shoe) was to be mitered on the outside corner. Maybe not, in which case it looks strange to me. I like it without that final piece.

Stilla
    Pro

i didn’t install the skirt board. i agree its a problem. the guy who did it tried to convince me it was better than a miter. i was lost for words.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I as well always do these different. I can’t find any hard and set rule for some of these and just rely on what I think looks the best most of the time. One thing I do is always try to keep it going down or up Hill. With as few horizontal and vertical lines as possible. That’s just me though your work looks excellent.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

If it’s gonna get painted and caulked in the end, would there be a difference structurally

No Trim is not structural lol… Yes there is a difference. At least out here there is.

I love the look you did there . No one does that much detail anymore . Only thing I would change is miter the small base piece that’s square cut .

Always willing to learn .

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

i didn’t install the skirt board. i agree its a problem. the guy who did it tried to convince me it was better than a miter. i was lost for words.

Tell him he’s a hack that makes the whole crew look bad.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.448 seconds