dcsimg

Anyone own one?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • Author

I’ve been wanting to get a cordless grinder but haven’t done it yet. Makita is my grinder of choice but I don’t have any other makita cordless tools. Would love to hear from anyone else

Moze
    Dallas, TX

I have the DeWalt 20v and it’s great for what I’ve used it for. I guess it depends on how often/heavily you use it on whether a cordless is a good choice. They’re sure convenient though!

Resident Sign Guy

redwood
    Pro

I have the cordless 18V Makita. It’s OK, but I don’t think it’s anywhere near as heavy duty as my corded ones. On the bright side, it is much lighter.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Sometimes I’ll use a grinder for 4 or 5 hours a day cutting out hard mortar joints. It’s a pain pulling 200′ of extension cord through the scaffolding. Even less fun retracing my steps and unraveling it at the end of the day.

Thatkid
    Pro

I have used the dewalt 18v grinder and for what I used it for it worked well cutting braided cable a couple of pieces rebar and some wall lifting straps

Yea it ain’t going to work for what you’re doing… I’ve got the Makita cordless and it’ll go for 10-15 mins before you need to change the battery.

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

Sometimes I’ll use a grinder for 4 or 5 hours a day cutting out hard mortar joints. It’s a pain pulling 200′ of extension cord through the scaffolding. Even less fun retracing my steps and unraveling it at the end of the day.

Seems like you would need several batteries

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Yeah, I think if you’re putting 4-5hrs a day on it you might have a tough time going cordless. Do you already have a battery platform on 18v with some fat packs?

Going cordless definitely doesn’t seem viable if you are using it 4-5 hours a day… but I guess if you had enough batteries and wanted the freedom of being cord free, I suppose it could be worth it… Perhaps consider a Metabo cordless grinder since they already have 5.2 ah batteries out on the market and are a solid brand name tool?

John S

Thatkid
    Pro

That sounds like it would take a lot of batteries to continually run for 5 hours.

Yea it ain’t going to work for what you’re doing… I’ve got the Makita cordless and it’ll go for 10-15 mins before you need to change the battery.

This is what I was figuring. Couldn’t keep the batteries charging quick enough to keep up. I have a rigid cordless set that i am indifferent about. Not even sure if they make an angle grinder

Going cordless definitely doesn’t seem viable if you are using it 4-5 hours a day… but I guess if you had enough batteries and wanted the freedom of being cord free, I suppose it could be worth it… Perhaps consider a Metabo cordless grinder since they already have 5.2 ah batteries out on the market and are a solid brand name tool?

Oh I didn’t know metabo made a cordless grinder. big fan of them. they seem to take the dust really well

You’d probably want 3-4 batteries in the 5 amp hr platform, and 6-8 in the 3 amp hr. You’ll also want multiple chargers to charge a few at a time. And if you’re using them hard every day your batteries will probably need to be replaced every 2 years or so.

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

Yeah it sounds like a battery /charger nightmare. the cord isn’t so bad. Plus I don’t have to put it down and replace the cord every 1/2 hr or so

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would think a corded would be the way to go. Possibly look at a berrtr way to run your cord to eliminate your hassles

Definitely the corded version from what you are describing. I am looking and have been looking into grinders and I have only been researching the corded kind, exactly for what you say — to go for longer sessions with more power.

Orange County, CA

I would think a corded would be the way to go. Possibly look at a berrtr way to run your cord to eliminate your hassles

Well yeah there is that. It’s not a huge deal on most jobs but on some I’m working a wall that might be 30′ high and 100′ long and i’m doing spot pointing here and there. Climbing through scaffolding and carrying the grinder with me the cord gets wrapped around the scaffold quite a bit. Not a huge problem but i thought that if a cordless could last 45 minutes of continuos use it might be worthwhile, but it sounds like any cordless sawzalls I’ve used. a coupe of cuts and it needs charging again

Well yeah there is that. It’s not a huge deal on most jobs but on some I’m working a wall that might be 30′ high and 100′ long and i’m doing spot pointing here and there. Climbing through scaffolding and carrying the grinder with me the cord gets wrapped around the scaffold quite a bit. Not a huge problem but i thought that if a cordless could last 45 minutes of continuos use it might be worthwhile, but it sounds like any cordless sawzalls I’ve used. a coupe of cuts and it needs charging again

I don’t know Dom, it could work for what you are after. Are you using it constant for 45 minutes? We have an older Dewalt 18v model. It doesn’t get used all that much, but when you want cordless it’s perfect.

What tool brand/system do you have? Some of those bare tools are pretty affordable.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I only have a rigid set, and an older Dewalt hammerdrill…the kind with the great big battery pack. I wouldn’t say i use it 45 minutes steady, but say 35-45 minutes out of each hour. I don’t know if a battery charger could keep up. If i found a rigid barebones or even the tool with it’s own battery pack and charger I might pick it up. At the least it would be useful sometimes and I’d have another battery or 2 and an extra charger

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.088 seconds