dcsimg

Anyone ever work with bamboo lumber?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

I just got a call from someone looking for bamboo shelving for the bakery cases in their coffee shops.

I’ve never worked with solid bamboo lumber. I’m not sure if I could even source it here. I’ve only worked with bamboo flooring, and I know its insanely hard, and feel like it would be very hard on tools.

Have any of you ever used it? How do your blades take it? Can it be glued with normal wood glue?

The only thing I have heard about it is that it can be stringy and have some nasty splinters – so it might make sense to break the edges with sandpaper or a small round-over or something. But I think that it works OK. Not sure if it is hard on tool edges, but I do not think it would be overly abrasive.

Orange County, CA

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I don’t even think they sell bamboo here in Canada .

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Ive gotten some gnarly splinters from the times I’ve used it for flooring. I remember it being really difficult to drill through as well.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Regular wood glue would work. Would bamboo ply be an option ?
    http://www.plyboo.com/products/edge-grain-bamboo-plywood

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I don’t even think they sell bamboo here in Canada .

I think your right! Easy to get bamboo bed sheets though :S ??

Edit – Nice link @Sprokitz first time for me checking this stuff out

A Working Pro since 2004

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Regular wood glue would work. Would bamboo ply be an option ?

http://www.plyboo.com/products/edge-grain-bamboo-plywood

Nope, that was my first thought. The edges will be visible though, and he said doesnt want exposed ply edges, or edge banding.

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Looks like solid lumber is available though. http://www.woodworkerssource.com/BAM44-p-lumber.html

Looks a bit pricey. I’ll have to call around to see if any of my suppliers can get some in.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Makes sense that it cut and laminated to make the planks. If you do any work with it @aa_custom make sure to take some pics

A Working Pro since 2004

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Makes sense that it cut and laminated to make the planks. If you do any work with it @aa_custom make sure to take some pics

Will do!

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it for sale in my area. Cutting boards and flooring are common enough, but dimensional lumber is probably special order if it’s available at all.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

woodman_412

I’ve seen bamboo plywood but not solid lumber. I’ve never cut it but I’ve heard the same things about it splintering and being fairly brittle. I would think if you had nice sharp tools it wouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Dan

danpattison.com

Looks like solid lumber is available though. http://www.woodworkerssource.com/BAM44-p-lumber.html

Looks a bit pricey. I’ll have to call around to see if any of my suppliers can get some in.

Never seen it in person . But pricey from that site for small length.

Always willing to learn .

I have done a bamboo floor, over all pretty easy to work with. Its been several years, i remember it being very stringy and i recall getting some nasty splinters from it. I would use it again on a project and have been interested in the bamboo plywood.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m surprised Dirty hasn’t chimed in on this one yet, I thought he said once he has used it quite a bit

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Just called a supllier here. Apparently the sheet goods are solid strand woven, and not veneer core. Waiting to hear back on pricing and sizes.

mjreich
    Pro
    Coon Rapids, MN

The only time I use bamboo lumber is when I’m eating Chinese food. Sorry, I cannot be of more assistance.

KenW
    Pro

It must be available, though in what form I have no idea. I’ve seen semi trailers advertise they have bamboo flooring in them. That would have to be fairly tough.

Just called a supllier here. Apparently the sheet goods are solid strand woven, and not veneer core. Waiting to hear back on pricing and sizes.

What’s the sheet sizes .

Always willing to learn .

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

What’s the sheet sizes .

They never called me back >:o

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.490 seconds