dcsimg

Any of us using Volkswagon as a daily or work vehicle

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

In reality who would have theirs fixed or corrected to give up performance and fuel economy. It appears that VW gamed the system for a long time. The car owners were not hurt until now, it was just emitting higher levels of emissions.

Given the choice, almost nobody. Sometimes the government makes you to be able to renew your registration

Minnesota was testing emissions on cars back in the 90’s you had to get certified to get your tabs renewed. It lasted less than 5 years before they threw out the whole testing thing.

Doobie

In reality who would have theirs fixed or corrected to give up performance and fuel economy. It appears that VW gamed the system for a long time. The car owners were not hurt until now, it was just emitting higher levels of emissions.

Given the choice, almost nobody. Sometimes the government makes you to be able to renew your registration

Minnesota was testing emissions on cars back in the 90’s you had to get certified to get your tabs renewed. It lasted less than 5 years before they threw out the whole testing thing.

They were gonna toss it here too as saying that cars just don’t have the lack of emission levels they had decades before but the garages that spent the money on the very expensive testing units screamed bloody murder and forced it to stick around. Such rubbish!

I think California is an emissions test every two years to re-up

Here is quebec, you can be sent back any time by a cop, and if your car is worse than the legal threshold of the date of manufacture, it gets towed to a garage to be fixed – if you decide you still want to plate it.

A few years back, they were targeting any car that looked modified. Got a lot of them off the road, amd collected a lot of money in fines. They would get rich going after TDIs the same way – they left the factory already non-compliant

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

It’s not as good as they claimed to be, but is it actually bad enough to not pass the test? I kinda doubt it.

Doobie

It’s not as good as they claimed to be, but is it actually bad enough to not pass the test? I kinda doubt it.

Yes it is by a huge amount. Guess you haven’t been reading about it in great detail.

It’s outright fraud what they were doing.

This is more than some manufacturer defect here, fixing the defect and compensating car owners insofar as how it affects things. This can cause major shifts in government energy policies in Europe and NA as well as significant shifts in the oil and gas sectors especially if they start finding more manufacturers were doing the same thing which wouldn’t surprise me. The darling saviour of diesel may be over.

There was a good article in today’s Globe & Mail on page two of the business section by Carl Mortished that is not available online yet that sheds some perspective on what has been the upswing of diesel over the years and what the implications may be going forward.

VW is not the only culprit here. There are lots of forces that came to create this mess, but for now VW is the one on stage and there is no question they for their part deserve to be called….

Das A-holes!

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Yes it is by a huge amount. Guess you haven’t been reading about it in great detail.

No I haven’t, if it’s bad enough to fail emission test otherwise then it’s a lot worse than I thought. Will have to do read up on it.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

They were gonna toss it here too as saying that cars just don’t have the lack of emission levels they had decades before but the garages that spent the money on the very expensive testing units screamed bloody murder and forced it to stick around. Such rubbish!

I didn’t know about that, it is such a pain to go every few years to schedule a dang appointment. If you fail enough times, ie give them enough money, don’t they just pass you?

Doobie

I didn’t know about that, it is such a pain to go every few years to schedule a dang appointment. If you fail enough times, ie give them enough money, don’t they just pass you?

No. The test gets transmitted directly to the ministry. They don’t just pass you because you spent a bunch of money. You have to pass the emission test.

Thing is, hardly anybody was failing and is why they wanted to get rid of it. When they saw that it wasn’t that easy to get rid of it, they decided instead to up the ante. Now, if you have an engine warning indicator either on your dash display or stored in the cars computer memory, it fails you until you get the indicator problem corrected.

They just started that two years ago. I thought I’d be pooched bringing my 18 year old vehicle in last fall that has had an engine warning light on since 10 years ago due to a faulty sensor, but it turned out my vehecle was just over the limit of what vehicle age the new rules applied to so I didn’t have to spend some stupid money having to replace a hard-to-get-to sensor that was gonna cost an arm and a leg to replace.

The whole testing thing is just a load of crap AFAIC.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Actually the parallel code installed turned off all emissions functions while on the highway. It only lowered emissions during testing. So it was a gross polluter when in the hands of the consumer.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Even more interesting, Bosch warned VW that using this in production would be illegal

“… supplier Bosch created the engine management software that allowed TDI engines to enter a “test” mode that cheated emissions, but warned VW back in 2007 that its use on production cars would be illegal:

VW was also warned by one of its own engineers in 2011 about illegal emissions testing practices, a reportin the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung’s Sunday edition said, citing initial results of a VW internal investigation.

Bild am Sonntag said Bosch supplied diesel software to VW for test purposes but it ended up in vehicles on the road. Bosch wrote to VW saying that such use was unlawful, according to the paper’s report, which did not cite sources.”

From
    http://jalopnik.com/vws-diesel-cheating-began-with-cost-cutting-report-1733348111

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

wow, so with evidence that this was illegal they are going to get hit hard with penalties or a class action lawsuit. I wonder how this is going to impact their bottom line.

Doobie

wow, so with evidence that this was illegal they are going to get hit hard with penalties or a class action lawsuit. I wonder how this is going to impact their bottom line.

Stock price has dropped 30% in the first few days, although I don’t know what may have happened with it since.

An estimate I read is that it will cost them a year worth of profits.

I’m sure if they find other manufacturers who have done the same it would help VW, but if not, expect sales to suffer for the next few years.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

Youngin
    Pro
    Edmonton, AB

I should tell my roommate about this. Could get a smokin deal down the road.

I wonder if VW will be clearing out their inventory, or will try to keep selling at their previous selling prices under the premise that the car is still a good car…

I wonder if VW will be clearing out their inventory, or will try to keep selling at their previous selling prices under the premise that the car is still a good car…

They cannot sell them and they are off the website.

Orange County, CA

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

They cannot sell them and they are off the website.

but not all the vehicles are on the list right? I can’t remember how many of the cars are on it. I asked a few buddies i remembered had vw and they all told me their car wasn’t on it and they aren’t worried.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Dustin looks like you are also a fan of Eric the Car Guy. I watch his videos all the time.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

The local VW dealer near me has stopped all sales of TDI models.

My neighbour had just put a deposit on one and was give the option to take his deposit back or look at a gas driven model.

I beleive they have been mandated to stop any sale of the TDI’s to the public until the issue is resolved.
    Only deals out there will be the tree huggers that will want to ditch their cars or other second hand ones on CL / AutoTrader / KIJIJI.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

The local VW dealer near me has stopped all sales of TDI models.

My neighbour had just put a deposit on one and was give the option to take his deposit back or look at a gas driven model.

I beleive they have been mandated to stop any sale of the TDI’s to the public until the issue is resolved.
    Only deals out there will be the tree huggers that will want to ditch their cars or other second hand ones on CL / AutoTrader / KIJIJI.

Thats true – consumer trust probably knocked down the price of VWs not identified in the scandal. Im keeping an eye out for a deal on a Tuareg

But it would need to be a hell of a deal – Fraud brings the trust level to a new level of low. I expect companies to use every shady trick in the book to squeeze an extra buck out of customers, but they usually stay legal-ish in how they operate.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • The topic ‘Any of us using Volkswagon as a daily or work vehicle’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.367 seconds