dcsimg

Any of us using Volkswagon as a daily or work vehicle

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

You might want to give this a read. If it is fixed you may have not as good a fuel economy.

That is a shame.

Course, if it gets me a deal on a VW Tuareg down the road, Im still in

And a porsche is still my dream.

So I guess I dont much care- beyond hoping people who are affected are compensated

But since I dont have one, anything that drops the price of a used one is good for me.

Although I have been becoming a Volvo loyalist gradually. Nice cars, cheaper service than my mazda3 needed

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I’m not sure what individual owners needs to be compensated for, it’s like those “I’m sad and only money can makes me happier” lawsuits. All fine should be placed in a trust fund for environmental restoration purposes because you know where it’ll go otherwise.

What really struck me in the article was this:

“Think of the United States after the Second World War – higher levels of taxation, fairer distribution of wealth, generous welfare programs – and with all that, remarkable development, political and social as well as economic.”

It’s quite impressive what was achieved then with comparably crude technologies, yet now US can’t even go up to ISS without hitch a ride.

I’m not sure what individual owners needs to be compensated for, it’s like those “I’m sad and only money can makes me happier” lawsuits. All fine should be placed in a trust fund for environmental restoration purposes because you know where it’ll go otherwise.

“Think of the United States after the Second World War – higher levels of taxation, fairer distribution of wealth, generous welfare programs – and with all that, remarkable development, political and social as well as economic.”

It’s quite impressive what was achieved then with comparably crude technologies, yet now US can’t even go up to ISS without hitch a ride.

If the main reason you bought the car was resale value, or fuel efficiency, or performance, you just got screwed by them intentionally and fraudulently gaming the system.

Maybe you get the car repaired (once they figure out how) by putting the car in low emissions mode at all times. Now your performance is shot, and your fuel efficiency takes a hit. By definition, you almost certainly took a hit on trade-in. So, you have taken a financial hit due to an intentional fraud by a corporation. That corporation needs to address those costs (Im not talking punitive get-rich amounts, just the real cost to you)

Some say that they would refuse the patch, but the car would still fail emissions, so could not get registered in some places – and dont forget those where you need emissions test every couple of years. Either way, you better be driving it into the ground, because your resell is nailed about as bad as selling a 70s exploding ford pinto.

Maybe they will still be good cars after the patch, but they wont be what they are now. And they cannot keep them as they are now due to emissions limits.

Honest mistake is one thing, but this was intentional, and known by dozens to hundreds of highly placed people at vw group. If their dishonesty costs me real money, I expect them to make it right. Not make me rich, but compensate me for the real impacts

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Good point, I drive mine into the ground so resell value isn’t something I think about.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

In reality who would have theirs fixed or corrected to give up performance and fuel economy. It appears that VW gamed the system for a long time. The car owners were not hurt until now, it was just emitting higher levels of emissions.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

If the main reason you bought the car was resale value, or fuel efficiency, or performance, you just got screwed by them intentionally and fraudulently gaming the system.

Maybe you get the car repaired (once they figure out how) by putting the car in low emissions mode at all times. Now your performance is shot, and your fuel efficiency takes a hit. By definition, you almost certainly took a hit on trade-in. So, you have taken a financial hit due to an intentional fraud by a corporation. That corporation needs to address those costs (Im not talking punitive get-rich amounts, just the real cost to you)

Some say that they would refuse the patch, but the car would still fail emissions, so could not get registered in some places – and dont forget those where you need emissions test every couple of years. Either way, you better be driving it into the ground, because your resell is nailed about as bad as selling a 70s exploding ford pinto.

Maybe they will still be good cars after the patch, but they wont be what they are now. And they cannot keep them as they are now due to emissions limits.

Honest mistake is one thing, but this was intentional, and known by dozens to hundreds of highly placed people at vw group. If their dishonesty costs me real money, I expect them to make it right. Not make me rich, but compensate me for the real impacts

how do older vehicles pass emissions tests? Cars like @58chevs 58 chev?

In reality who would have theirs fixed or corrected to give up performance and fuel economy. It appears that VW gamed the system for a long time. The car owners were not hurt until now, it was just emitting higher levels of emissions.

Given the choice, almost nobody. Sometimes the government makes you to be able to renew your registration

Classic car exemption. In quebec, special rules and plates over 25yrs old

I would love to listen in the board rooms of all the other car companies. Some might be having talks about how to subtly remove the software from their cars, or to make sure no one put in features that they don’t know about.

I read elsewhere they could be fined by the EPA up to $37000 per car that had the fake software on it… this could easily put VW out of business.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Yeah that’s not gonna happen, they don’t have have that much teeth.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have a buddy that works out of a V-Dub van and it works great, it’s a 3/4 ton and he can fit a 10foot ladder inside it.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I would love to listen in the board rooms of all the other car companies. Some might be having talks about how to subtly remove the software from their cars, or to make sure no one put in features that they don’t know about.

I read elsewhere they could be fined by the EPA up to $37000 per car that had the fake software on it… this could easily put VW out of business.

I wonder how many other car companies have been doing the same thing.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I wonder how many other car companies have been doing the same thing.

That is the question right now. I am sure there are a lot of nervous people out there.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

This is why I stick with Corvettes and Camaros 🙂

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@r-ice
    Because my car is older than 1987, no emissions test needed UNLESS…. I were to get pulled over by the Ministry of Environment. They would have to have reason to do that. Like if my car was spewing out smoke as I travel down the road, then they can tell me to go have my car tested. It would get tested as a “Hot Rod” and would have to pass 1970 emissions rules.
    They also check over the engine bay to see if I am circumventing any emissions equipment for the year of my block.

As for VW, a lot of peoples TDI’s resale value just took a tumble.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

@r-ice,
    Because my car is older than 1987, no emissions test needed UNLESS…. I were to get pulled over by the Ministry of Environment. They would have to have reason to do that. Like if my car was spewing out smoke as I travel down the road, then they can tell me to go have my car tested. It would get tested as a “Hot Rod” and would have to pass 1970 emissions rules.
    They also check over the engine bay to see if I am circumventing any emissions equipment for the year of my block.

We don’t have to worry about emissions at all where I live .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

On the other hand you could probably get a good deal on a VW TDI from a greenie looking to go greener.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

On the other hand you could probably get a good deal on a VW TDI from a greenie looking to go greener.

How much more fuel will it actually take? Will it be significant enough to worry about,I think I only know one person with a vw.

Doobie

Das A-holes!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 107 total)
  • The topic ‘Any of us using Volkswagon as a daily or work vehicle’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.365 seconds