dcsimg

Any Montanans here?

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

@aa_custom,
    Now floating down the Clark Fork is an attention-getter for me. 🙂
    I am currently (slowly) working on building a McKenzie River boat for floating the North Fork of the Flathead. Soon as the weather warms up a bit I should be back at it with the epoxy for the scarf joints on the sides/bottom.
    Need to work out the 9ft5wt that I built for myself on a full weekend float trip.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

@MTRoads thats awesome. I’ve always wanted to build a boat, never had the room or time to do it though. My guide was asking me all kinds of questions about it when he found out I was a carpenter. Told him I’ve never built a boat, but gave him some insights on bending wood.

How do you like the flathead? Was hoping to get a chance to fish it while on our trip, but it wasn’t in the cards. Looks beautiful though. If I end up out there I will certainly pester you about your boat though haha.

The Clark Fork trip was awesome. We put in at St Regis and floated down for the day. Caught enough to get bored of nymphing, then just hammered them on caddis’ which was probably the most fun I’ve ever had with a fly rod.

MTRoads
    Pro

@aa_custom, depends on what part of the Flathead you are talking about. North Fork, Middle Fork, South Fork or Flathead Lake itself. Lot’s of variety depending on which you go to.
    Pestering about the boat is encouraged – I need to keep going on it so I can put it on the water. Trying to keep under the $250 mark for materials so sometimes I have to wait to certain items to come up on sale.
    I have never floated the Clark Fork, but I am planning on it once I get the boat finished.
    By the way, you know that in order to be a Montana resident – you must own a minimum of 6 fly-rods – don’t you.

Stan

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

@MTRoads we were in glacier, so I think the north fork is what I was trying for. The stretch we drove along out of whitefish was beautiful. It turns into a warm water fishery near the lake, right?

I’ve only got two rods right now. I just bought an orvis mirage for my 6wt though. Maybe I’ll have to put down my festool catalog and pick up a sage catalog.

MTRoads
    Pro

@aa_custom, depends on which roads you traveled on.
    All three forks come together at Columbia Falls (about 10 miles east of Whitefish).
    From Columbia Falls, the North Fork runs along the western border of Glacier Natl park towards Canada. Middle Fork runs along the southern border of the park towards the east and the South Fork comes into Columbia Falls from the south out of the Bob Marshall Wilderness area.

The catalog you need is from Hook & Hackle 🙂 They sell rod component kits you build – makes a very nice rod if you have the time and patience for the build process.

A few scraps and you have a rod wrapping station.

Stan

Attachments:
    aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Nice. I’ve never built a rod. Seems like a great way to get an awesome rod for a great price though.

MTRoads
    Pro

Been a while, so what sort of decision did you come up with on the move – and how many rods have you built so far?
    🙂

Stan

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.336 seconds