dcsimg

Any Montanans here?

This topic contains 26 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  MTRoads 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Hi. Long time no post….

Looking at moving to Montana later this year. Either the Flathead valley, or the Missoula area.

Wondering if anyone on here is from Montana and can provide some insights to the building/remodeling market out there.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Minnesota, Not Montana, but having been in the Flathead valley previously, I can say it is a great place. I also have a cousin that is a chiropractor in Butte.
    he also lived in Kalispel for a while.

What is the reason for the move?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Hi. Long time no post….

Looking at moving to Montana later this year. Either the Flathead valley, or the Missoula area.

Wondering if anyone on here is from Montana and can provide some insights to the building/remodeling market out there.

No, most here are from canada, most Americans have left the room and are across the street.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

There is MTRoads on the site who is from Montana. His signin says “Near Glacier National Park”. You could send him a private message or @mtroads might be checking in.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

This American is still here. Ohio

Hi. Long time no post….

No, most here are from canada, most Americans have left the room and are across the street.

There are a lot us us here…. but Im sure there are still more yanks than canucks

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

@aa_custom,
    I live in Kalispell. Building/remodeling is just starting to come back here, you can typically depend on the market being about 3-5 years behind the rest of the country for some reason.
    If you have any specific questions I’ll see what I can dig up for you.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

@mtroads

Mostly trying to decide what I want to do when I get out there. Seems like there is a fairly strong new higher-end new construction market at the moment. Thinking about trying to set up as a trim installer, or debating if I should just try and find a job with a crew, as it seems like it’s a small area with a fairly saturated market too.

I’m also wondering how it compares to a place like Missoula. Seems like there are more people in Missoula, but mostly transient since it’s a college town. More money, but less people in whitefish/kalispell.

@kurt@welkerhomes were getting tired of city life. Have been wanting to move for a while and we visited Montana over the summer to see if we would want to live there, ad decided we very much want to live there. Looking for a place that has access to great outdoor recreation, less crowded, but still close enough to some population center that we can make a living.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I grew up in North Idaho, about 20 miles from Montana. Does that count?

MTRoads
    Pro

Sounds like you have already done some research. About all I can recommend is more research and planning. Be sure to look at housing costs if you plan on purchasing – the costs around here shock quite a few people.

For most of the locals, the access to the outdoors, activities and scenery outweighs the high cost of living (either that or we were born/raised here and can’t afford to get out).

Stan

Clev08
    Pro

I don’t in Montana but I do live and work in a college town. The cost of living is high here because of all the money surrounding the University. The housing market is not what it was 5 years ago but it is still quite steady. I trim houses ranging from $450,000 to $1,000,000 with a crew. I got this job because I had a connection to a guy who painted houses and met the guy I work for now on one of the jobs. Best advice, get a job and start meeting people and making strategic connections. more times than not these connection will eventually lead you to the job/opportunity you are looking for.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@mtroads

Mostly trying to decide what I want to do when I get out there. Seems like there is a fairly strong new higher-end new construction market at the moment. Thinking about trying to set up as a trim installer, or debating if I should just try and find a job with a crew, as it seems like it’s a small area with a fairly saturated market too.

I’m also wondering how it compares to a place like Missoula. Seems like there are more people in Missoula, but mostly transient since it’s a college town. More money, but less people in whitefish/kalispell.

@kurt@welkerhomes were getting tired of city life. Have been wanting to move for a while and we visited Montana over the summer to see if we would want to live there, ad decided we very much want to live there. Looking for a place that has access to great outdoor recreation, less crowded, but still close enough to some population center that we can make a living.

What about spending a long weekend their, or a few days during the week when construction is going on, might get a better feel for what you are looking for, bring along your portfolio and sell it to some of the contractors in the area, and as MTRoads suggested to check out the home prices.

As you can tell by my profile I’m definitely not from their lol

Good luck with your decision and research, looking forward to hearing what you and your family decide.

Anonymous

were getting tired of city life. Have been wanting to move for a while and we visited Montana over the summer to see if we would want to live there, ad decided we very much want to live there. Looking for a place that has access to great outdoor recreation, less crowded, but still close enough to some population center that we can make a living.

‘tired of city life’ There’s yer answer and I agree, I suggest move if ya can. Although I’m about 200 miles South of Missoula in Idaho I really don’t know much about the work up there, But I do know this is a great part of the country to get away from the big city life and into the outdoors. I made the big move 29 years ago from the big city life in the midwest and would never ever ever go back….Good luck

MTRoads
    Pro

@aa_custom, Thought an article that came out in a local paper may be of some interest to you.

http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/kcfw/flathead-co-has-building-boom-labor-shortage/340329461

Stan

KenW
    Pro

Hi. Long time no post….

There are a lot us us here…. but Im sure there are still more yanks than canucks

I stalk the pages but don’t make many comments as of late 🙂

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

@aa_custom, Thought an article that came out in a local paper may be of some interest to you.

http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/kcfw/flathead-co-has-building-boom-labor-shortage/340329461

Thanks, I’ve been talking to someone in Whitefish who sent me that from the local paper. Might need to start looking for trim companies to talk to.

My friend has an unlce who owns a hardwood mill in Arlee. He said he could get me in touch with some builders out there.

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

were getting tired of city life. Have been wanting to move for a while and we visited Montana over the summer to see if we would want to live there, ad decided we very much want to live there. Looking for a place that has access to great outdoor recreation, less crowded, but still close enough to some population center that we can make a living.

‘tired of city life’ There’s yer answer and I agree, I suggest move if ya can. Although I’m about 200 miles South of Missoula in Idaho I really don’t know much about the work up there, But I do know this is a great part of the country to get away from the big city life and into the outdoors. I made the big move 29 years ago from the big city life in the midwest and would never ever ever go back….Good luck

Yeah. We are feeling pretty claustrophobic in the city. Neighbors never shut up, garbage all over the damn streets, too much traffic. When we got back from our trip there was a shooting at least once a week in a four block radius from our house. People dealing drugs and soliciting sex in the alley behind my house. etc etc. Just done with it.

Give me open space, elk and mulie tags, and rivers full of native trout and I’ll figure out how to make a living to stay there.

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

@mtroads

What about spending a long weekend their, or a few days during the week when construction is going on, might get a better feel for what you are looking for, bring along your portfolio and sell it to some of the contractors in the area, and as MTRoads suggested to check out the home prices.

As you can tell by my profile I’m definitely not from their lol

Good luck with your decision and research, looking forward to hearing what you and your family decide.

We spent a few days in Missoula, and only one in Whitefish. Missoula was super fun, and had a lot going on, but it didn’t seem to have a lot of residential building, other than student housing. Tons of commercial work, and all the restaurants and bars were really nicely done, which is a thing I’m not used to seeing.

Whitefish seemed like it has an older, wealthier demographic. Tons of really nice new homes were being built while we were there. We drove around and creeped on jobsites and it looked like there was a lot of work to be had. That, coupled with being able to work in 4 separate cities close enough together seems like it could be a solid choice.

MTRoads
    Pro

Thanks, I’ve been talking to someone in Whitefish who sent me that from the local paper. Might need to start looking for trim companies to talk to.

My friend has an unlce who owns a hardwood mill in Arlee. He said he could get me in touch with some builders out there.

I assume that is Buckeye Hardwood and Lumber? If so, I have purchased lumber from them only a couple times (distance). Here in Kalispell we have Glacier Hardwoods which is where I purchase most of my lumber.
    http://glacierhardwoods.com/

Stan

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

I assume that is Buckeye Hardwood and Lumber? If so, I have purchased lumber from them only a couple times (distance). Here in Kalispell we have Glacier Hardwoods which is where I purchase most of my lumber.
    http://glacierhardwoods.com/

Yep. We spent a day with hank and his wife while we were out there. Didn’t get to check out their shop unfortunately(not really that unfortunate, as I was floating down the Clark fork with cutthroats trying to yank the rod out of my hand that day).

Seems like he makes some really cool stuff, he was telling me about a specialty saw mill he invented for this rustic oak flooring he makes.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.236 seconds