dcsimg

Any idea how I prepare this disaster fireplace?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

daknuts
    Pro

So I can install stacked stone ledger panels? It’s going to be used as a gas fireplace only from now on.

I’m guessing that I can use mortar to level over the brick and use something like Hardy board for over the studs further out? Should I use lath? Or is there a better way?

I also want to lift up the opening to about 12″ on the bottom and raise the gas tube ‘burner’ to almost that height, too.

Will adding a couple of rows of any type bricks to the bottom edge be sufficient to adhere the stacked stone panels to down there?

Thanks for your patience 😉

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Oh boy that looks to be a mess. I’m sure some one will be able to help you out.. I have never used or seen a fire place in use myself.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I generally don’t advise people to hire a professional for a DIY project. However, installing a stacked stone ledger panels seems like lots of work. I will recommend you to go for a handyman to help you with building this fireplace.

daknuts
    Pro

Homieray
    Thanks for ur response, but I’ve already completed the job myself a few weeks ago by just going for it using common sense. It took about a week and a half due to the fact the fireplace bricks were in such a jacked up state.
    Lots of cement to smooth the wall out and then ledger boards to hold up the stone as it was installed. Done.

Attachments:

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Homieray
    Thanks for ur response, but I’ve already completed the job myself a few weeks ago by just going for it using common sense. It took about a week and a half due to the fact the fireplace bricks were in such a jacked up state.
    Lots of cement to smooth the wall out and then ledger boards to hold up the stone as it was installed. Done.

Wow huge difference , congrats nice job
    Did you have to replace or make sure the bricks behind were solid and not moving.
    Looking really good 👌

daknuts
    Pro

Did you have to replace or make sure the bricks behind were solid and not moving?

Yes, a couple, but most of the bricks were solid and only required a coat of mortar to get level. Also covered the wood studs on the outside(s) with cement board and gave it a levelling skim coat of mortar, too. I also had to install another row of bricks across the top of the opening so I chiseled out some mortar on the side stacks and mortared in an angle iron ‘lintel’ to support it.

Took a few hours a day for over a week to let all those layers set before moving on to each step!

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Did you have to replace or make sure the bricks behind were solid and not moving?

Yes, a couple, but most of the bricks were solid and only required a coat of mortar to get level. Also covered the wood studs on the outside(s) with cement board and gave it a levelling skim coat of mortar, too. I also had to install another row of bricks across the top of the opening so I chiseled out some mortar on the side stacks and mortared in an angle iron ‘lintel’ to support it.

Took a few hours a day for over a week to let all those layers set before moving on to each step!

Well you sure did a nice job Danny
    Hope to see more of the projects you working on
    Go on over to the introduce yourself thread say hello to the other members.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Homieray

That looks very nice, great job on the fireplace.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Homieray

Impressive work. Can you provide some detail on the stone facing please. Really good looking finish.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

but I’ve already completed the job myself a few weeks ago by just going for it using common sense. It took about a week and a half due to the fact the fireplace bricks were in such a jacked up state.

The before and after photos are amazing, very nice work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.343 seconds