dcsimg

Anti-Fatigue Mats

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 213 total)
  • Author

Maybe it’s time to try a mat

@Dabbs, I notice how my back and knees feel if I am on one of my mats or if I am working off the mats on the concrete floor. A mat will help you big time. Don’t buy the cheapest – they are thinner and have less padding to help you out. Or even stack 1 on top of the other.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

agreed mats are a huge help

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I wish I could work in one or 2 spots so I could use one, I need it badly.

The holes and slight tab under the mats allow water to dry out more quickly and not promote mold. Big problem for me is sawdust gets in the holes so I just vacuum when I’m done

It sounds like the holes aren’t too terrible for vacuuming up? That was my biggest concern with something like those

I am definitely intrigued by John L’s recommendation:

http://www.tscstores.com/5-X-7-X-12-HORSE-TRAILER-MAT-P14215.aspx

A year later and that is exactly what I thought when looking at it again just now. Looks like a really viable option

No, no problem vacuuming. The mats are really heavy so and the holes are spaced pretty closely so when you vacuum it cleans them out quick without lifting the mats. I really though about getting horse mats because they are really thick like my mats and they are sometimes cheaper to buy but for me air flow is really important because of humidity and moisture.

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

I used to stand on epoxied concrete for 12 hour shifts – we finally got mats.
    So nice!

woodman_412

At the moment I’m using some pieces of 1 1/2″ thick rigid foam insulation to stand on at my workbench in the basement. I didn’t have to worry about mats in my old shop since it had the nice wood floor. The anti fatigue mat from my first basement shop is still kicking around but it’s pretty compressed now and doesn’t provide much cushion.

Dan

danpattison.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe it’s time to try a mat

@Dabbs, I notice how my back and knees feel if I am on one of my mats or if I am working off the mats on the concrete floor. A mat will help you big time. Don’t buy the cheapest – they are thinner and have less padding to help you out. Or even stack 1 on top of the other.

I noticed a big diff in the shoes I wear, for a while I was wearing a pair of very flat hard ‘boat’ shoes with no socks till I finally caught on they were doing it. Now it’s only thick socks with much better sneakers, I could last longer with them……I have a kneeling mat that’s pretty big (about 20″x30″) I’m going to try next, Just to see if it makes a big difference

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have seen the interlocking mats but not these .I have a cement floor in my shop and it sure would help my back feel better .

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have seen the interlocking mats but not these .I have a cement floor in my shop and it sure would help my back feel better .

Yeah you and me are in the same boat, If I’m out there past the point of the bad pain for much longer it puts me down for a couple days. That’s why it takes me so long to get a birdhouse done…..Well ok that’s not the only reason LOL, It’s just one reason 🙂

woodman_412

The cabinet shop that I was working in up until a couple months ago had 3/4″ thick rubber mats that were made from recycled tires over the entire shop floor. They worked really well and kept things comfortable no matter where you stood. They are usually used in horse stalls and gyms.

Dan

danpattison.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve seen what they use in horse trailers and thought that was pretty hard, Maybe it isn’t. I’ll have to take a closer look next time I’m at the farm outlet store

woodman_412

I’ve seen what they use in horse trailers and thought that was pretty hard, Maybe it isn’t. I’ll have to take a closer look next time I’m at the farm outlet store

Yeah my first thought was that these mats would be too hard to be of much help too. I was surprised by how well they worked though. No matter where you stood or walked in the shop it gave some cushion which made a big difference come the end of the day. Less wear and tear on the bottom of your shoes too compared to walking on bare concrete.

Dan

danpattison.com

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

even some carpet will help, yes as well as good shoes.

woodman_412

Another thing that I’ve found helpful standing or walking on concrete over the years is SuperFeet insoles. They have a hard plastic piece that goes under your heel and it shifts your weight forward just a bit and reduces strain on your body. I’ve found that my Keen boots haven’t needed the insoles since they are quite comfortable as is but other shoes and boots I’ve had the insoles made a big difference.

Dan

danpattison.com

Hmmmm.. how about a kneeling pad…. would any you guys consider getting this?
    http://toolguyd.com/custom-leathercraft-foam-kneeling-pad/

John S

Cork also works well. At the Festool training center in Vegas the entire floor is covered with cork tiles.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve got one.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have them too. Great for working on cars, and for detailing paint. I have gel filled ones that really work on concrete as well as the dense foam ones.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

woodman_412

I used to use a kneeling pad but ever since I got my Blaklader pants I always use the knee pads that came with them so I don’t have one anymore. If you were going to stand in one spot for awhile a kneeling pad would certainly work to stand on.

Dan

danpattison.com

I picked up on of these for the Mrs. and myself. The knees are not what they used to be. 🙁 Kneeling on concrete is not what I want to do.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=72349&cat=2,42194

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 213 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.485 seconds