dcsimg

Another deck collapsed today

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

This thread seemed like a good place to add another deck Colapse that happened over the weekend. Third floor deck colapsed onto the second then the first. It does not look like that big of a deck to hold so many people. My guess is that there were people on all three platforms.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dozens-injured-after-porch-collapses-in-connecticut/ar-AAiKq2s?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Yeah right I saw that also. Party went overboard this time. I don’t know what people thinks there’s weight limit on everything you don’t put a 10 person in sedan. So don’t put so many people at the deck.looks like first separated from the house I don’t see joist hangers on it that maybe the reason also

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Yikes that’s no good. I’d think if there were people on all three platforms there’d be more serious injuries reported, but you may be right. Scary either way. How could the deck joists be attached to the ledger without hangers? If they were only toenailed in then of course it fell. Would have been only a matter of time.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

What I get out of that is 30 to 40 people being treated for injuries at a college student party, with at least alcohol involved. Now, it’s a shame people got hurt. But I get the picture in my head of the movie “Frat House”. I bet less than 1/2 the people attending had to be treated, so how big was this shin dig? I can only imagine……sounds like a couple of places I have been in my youth.

I also wonder if there were any engineering students there…..you know, ones who could count and do a rough estimation in their heads.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Only 8 years old. some heads are going to fall on this one.

Shocking news indeed, this has to be partly the architects fault surely, that and perhaps the builders.

wow how does the water get there and cause dry rot. I thought in this day and age the beam would’ve been made of stainless or something.

My thoughts entirely … this whole building has to be a timber frame construction hence the joist ends sticking out the wall, why was pressure treated not used? At least that would have given the support joist a longer life than 8 frigging years.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

Yeah right I saw that also. Party went overboard this time. I don’t know what people thinks there’s weight limit on everything you don’t put a 10 person in sedan. So don’t put so many people at the deck.looks like first separated from the house I don’t see joist hangers on it that maybe the reason also

There would be no joist hangers in this construction, what you would need is those support joists go back in to the apartment several feet to act as support for the ends that would cantilever out.

Similar to this (simplified version)

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thats a mess, I hope no one was hurt too bad.

scary. Hope to hear more and some good news

From the pictures it looks like it was in disrepair . I would think water infiltration into the wood and rutting out by the 10d nails they must likely used .

Always willing to learn .

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

wow that sucks – but glad that nobody got killed during that incident.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yes it does suck,,,,
    Well on the bright side some carpenter will have some work rebuilding it.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

From the pictures it looks like it was in disrepair . I would think water infiltration into the wood and rutting out by the 10d nails they must likely used .

thats weird, i guess people don’t see that and get it fixed, they just think if it aint broke don’t touch it. when in reality they should have someone going over it like a maintenance type deal.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Most people just figure that if it is up there it must be able to support all the weight you put on it. No one looks at or considers what the design limits are.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

had the wrong quote

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

There would be no joist hangers in this construction, what you would need is those support joists go back in to the apartment several feet to act as support for the ends that would cantilever out.

We have seen issues with this design in our area. Over time, moisture gets ,minto the point where the joist penetrate the house and causes them to rot and fail, even with treated lumber

Clev08
    Pro

Yes it does suck,,,,

Let’s just hope it isn’t the same carpenter who built the first one…

Yes it does suck,,,,

Let’s just hope it isn’t the same carpenter who built the first one…

From the look of it, the build may have been ok, and then it was ignored for decades despite visible rot.

You have to maintain stuff too.

redwood
    Pro

We have seen issues with this design in our area. Over time, moisture gets ,minto the point where the joist penetrate the house and causes them to rot and fail, even with treated lumber

Yes, this method can work, but it is often detailed incorrectly, which leads to really bad and expensive problems.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Scary, I expect some responsibility is due the people on the deck, the land lord for lack of maintenance and the original carpenter for construction choices.

Will

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I posted about this deck collapse at the beginning of this page of this thread. I just found this article with the cause determined. we seldom ever find out the cause of these failures that make the news. It is always informative and a learning experience to know the “Why”.

In this case it was the failure to replace the deck ledger and fasten it properly when the decks were replaced in between 13 and 25 years ago. The contractor replacing the decks relied on the 90+ year old ledger board and the 90+ year old nails that it was fastened with. The article states “the nails were very corroded….”

here is a link to the article in the Hartford Courant with the complete article.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-trinity-porch-collapse-report-20160929-story.html

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.798 seconds