dcsimg

Another Deck Collapse

This topic contains 142 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  kurt@welkerhomes.com 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 143 total)
  • Author

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i just picture the universal studios earthquake attraction.. thats the closest ive been to a actual earthquake

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Oh I hear you on the DIY channel.

Let’s not pick on the DIY Chanel too much! After all, over ambitious homeowners gain their motivation on DIY, then call us when the project gets out of hand!

Very true. And they get out of hand far more often then one would think.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We had anchors specked on a job with posts that were about $150 each. I questioned the architect on the loading and we were able to substitute about $10 in hardware to replace each of them as they were so oversized.

here we typically set on the post and use a double 2X for the beam which we notch into a 6 x 6 and fasten the o=posts to the beam with bolts to the Fasten Master Thru-Loc.

do you guys use anchors for the post to beam connection. ive only done it once but i know in seismic regions their mandatory.. here its not

Of course we did, but then we were in the middle of Seismic territory. Think the movie San Andreas. It was less then a mile from my old house and these jobs.

That’s how you build a deck thumbs up mark .

I think the anchors make a deck look better, not that you always see them but I like the industrial strength look of them.

Mostly the clients hate the look is what they tell me . They say it breaks the clean look of the wood structure .

Always willing to learn .

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think the anchors make a deck look better, not that you always see them but I like the industrial strength look of them.

Yes they look cool and industrial, but at around $ 70 ea. they better.

This one is on the ocean and is Stainless steel at about 250$ is not cheap at all.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Yes they look cool and industrial, but at around $ 70 ea. they better.

This one is on the ocean and is Stainless steel at about 250$ is not cheap at all.

It should be gold plated for that kind of money . That is a lot of dough just for one bracket .

redwood
    Pro

Mine were all hot dipped galvanized. You can get zinc electro galvanized for probably $30 – $40

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Mine were all hot dipped galvanized. You can get zinc electro galvanized for probably $30 – $40

That is about the same price that I have seen them here .

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That was a state job so that’s why they went with the SS. It wasn’t their money, it was ours.

Dirty

redwood
    Pro

The problem here is that you can’t use EG with our pressure treated lumber. Even hot dipped is considered border line. SS is much preferable, but at the cost Dirty quoted, I took my chances.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

The problem here is that you can’t use EG with our pressure treated lumber. Even hot dipped is considered border line. SS is much preferable, but at the cost Dirty quoted, I took my chances.

Mark I just seen an article about them changing the chemical makeup of pressure treated again . If I could only remember where .

Always willing to learn .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That was a state job so that’s why they went with the SS. It wasn’t their money, it was ours.

Either way…its still the tax payer’s money!

How many of those things did you use?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

All the pressure treated here has another coating that’s Brown over the ACQ. I think it’s to help protect fasteners.

redwood
    Pro

All the pressure treated here has another coating that’s Brown over the ACQ. I think it’s to help protect fasteners.

I might be out of the loop now, but the brown tinted PT was making headway while I was working and it was just coloring and had nothing to do with making life easier for the fasteners.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Either way…its still the tax payer’s money!

How many of those things did you use?

We only used 4 on that entry arbor. All the others were to be SS but it was too much so they had galvi steel fabbed up.

Dirty

redwood
    Pro

Those are some huge connectors DWB, they make the bolts/lags look so puny. Fabrication costs on those would be huge here.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

A coat of flat black or wrought iron or hammer tone paint would look cool on those connectors too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Those are some huge connectors DWB, they make the bolts/lags look so puny. Fabrication costs on those would be huge here.

Thoes were speced out by the engineer. state job you know. They act a sheer too because there is no 45º knee bracing.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Thoes were speced out by the engineer. state job you know. They act a sheer too because there is no 45º knee bracing.

They also create a unique look by eliminating the knee bracing it gives it a nice open look.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Mark I just seen an article about them changing the chemical makeup of pressure treated again . If I could only remember where .

A while back they did change the makeup of PT lumber to make it less corrosive. Recently I read that they are going to up the percentage of chemical retained in the wood to be able to use the wood on decks. there are several levels of retention and they are changing the requirement for decks to the same as ground contact.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 143 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.767 seconds