dcsimg

Another Deck Collapse

This topic contains 142 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  kurt@welkerhomes.com 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 143 total)
  • Author

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

This one did a complete flip landing upside down. Our TV news had better pics… only a handful of nails holding the deck to the house and posts.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/Regional-Poconos-Coal/several-people-injured-after-deck-collapse-interrupts-childs-birthday-party/26854200

looks like the ledger wasn’t lagged, just nailed. yikes. wonder how many people were on the deck, though. article doesn’t say.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Looks like one crappy built deck.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

any bets on
    #1 handyman, no permit

#2 homeowner – no permit.

#3 contractor- with a permit.

I sure as heck hope it isn’t #3…

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

Thatkid
    Pro

I can’t get over how many decks have been collapsing and that people can’t seem to understand that they can’t just put in a couple 16s and expect it to be ok.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

any bets on
    #1 handyman, no permit
    #2 homeowner – no permit.
    #3 contractor- with a permit

My vote is #2, diy’er

It amazes me how we live in a world of seat belts, motorcycle helmet laws, helmets on bicycle riders, helmets,arm and knee protectors on skate board, and folks will go for the cheapest price no matter how safe the construction on their homes

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Wow, that’s awful. Hope they find the builder.

A Working Pro since 2004

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Why do people think decks can hold unlimited loads of people? You hear of collapses because too many people are on them. That situation was just not right. So sorry for the children who are simply innocent victims.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

The ledger held on with nails – I have seen that a few times. It also looks like there wasn’t enough posts in the front – you can see two in the video and I am assuming that there is one on the other corner that wasn’t visible. I just don’t get how somebody could build something like that and think that it was safe…

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That second video leaves me to believe that the deck is original to the house as they said it wasn’t inspected since it was built. The city apparently knew the deck existed, but must have neglected to inspect the thing. Hopefully they find the person responsible for such a piece of crap.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Hopefulyly some guy will get the work to rebuild it. This time to plan.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Come on guys a 16 will hold 150 lbs, so if there’s 15 nails it should hold 15 people.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

What is amazing is it held up for many years with just nails.

redwood
    Pro

I’ve seen a lot of decks that were just nailed to the house and they lasted 25 years. I don’t think it was that uncommon 30 years ago, 10 years ago, yes.

They talk about it not being up to code. Well most decks built 10 or more years ago are not up to current code. For the longest time there were no guidlines for decks, much less mention in the codebook. It was always left up to the inspector, and we all know how good they were.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It amazes me how we live in a world of seat belts, motorcycle helmet laws, helmets on bicycle riders, helmets,arm and knee protectors on skate board, and folks will go for the cheapest price no matter how safe the construction on their homes

Yep. That lowest bid comes back to bite you.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I’ve seen a lot of decks that were just nailed to the house and they lasted 25 years. I don’t think it was that uncommon 30 years ago, 10 years ago, yes.

True but I have also seen some decks built in the 70’s that had carriage bolts through the ledger. Using nails for the ledger may not have been uncommon but I doubt it was ever considered the best way.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Come on guys a 16 will hold 150 lbs, so if there’s 15 nails it should hold 15 people.

you got small people out there Cali, only 10 in the midwest, LOL.

There is a deck where my parents have a timeshare, that is 3 stories, (three levels of decks) that is totally out of code and it was rebuilt that way a few years ago. rail balusters spaced at 5 + inches, beams overspanned, joist overspanned and all Joist hangers fastened with 1.5″ Joist nails, even the slant nail double shear hole. I don’t think that nail can penetrate the ledger by more than a half inch. There are no permits or inspections there.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 143 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.612 seconds