dcsimg

another bandsaw thread

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    yellaD
    Pro

On kijiji there’s a lot of older King Canada and Craftex brand bandsaws here in Ontario.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I think the garage is 14′ X 23′ , a small single car garage. 10′ ceilings though.

If you are on the Grizzly site, you may want to try out their shop plan feature. It will let you lay out tools and workbenches to get the best use of space.
    https://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

yellaD
    Pro

I was just messing around withe layout tool. Nb. It has all their tools’ footprints plus misc. to help plan your shop. My shop looks so much roomier on paper!

I think the garage is 14′ X 23′ , a small single car garage. 10′ ceilings though.

When crowded, having mobile bases for your power equipment makes it way easier to adjust accordingly depending on what you plan to work on. I have them including one for my table saw. I move the table saw out of the way when not in use. The mobile bases give you a lot more flexibility.

yellaD
    Pro

My DC system, oscilating spindle sander, plywood rack are on dollies. The mitre saw stand and table saw are the portable versions. The wood rack is fixed, the clamp rack and hanging stuff is all french cleat system. I have a foldup plastic table that is for assembly but now just collects stuff. I need more vac hoses for each tool as well as a mitre station (on wheels) to get the biggest footprint out of the middle of the floor. If I get a bandsaw, I’d put it on the left hand side of shop as material overhangs to the right usually, and move my mitre saw to the RHS. That way extra long material could potentially stick out the open garage to the left.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

When crowded, having mobile bases for your power equipment makes it way easier to adjust accordingly depending on what you plan to work on. I have them including one for my table saw. I move the table saw out of the way when not in use. The mobile bases give you a lot more flexibility.

They sure do. You do not need every tool for every job so you can configure the shop for the project you are working on and dedicate floor space to only those tools needed.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Andy,
    You garage is the same size as mine, with a car in there I never have enough room for my larger tools.
    As @PI_Woodworker Lon mentioned, if you can make you tools mobile. It sure makes things easier. I have to get a dolly system for my bandsaw so I can make it mobile.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Andy,
    You garage is the same size as mine, with a car in there I never have enough room for my larger tools.
    As @PI_Woodworker Lon mentioned, if you can make you tools mobile. It sure makes things easier. I have to get a dolly system for my bandsaw so I can make it mobile.

yah but your car is massive though, if your garage was just for working on woodworking or metal projects, you would have tons of room.

yah but your car is massive though, if your garage was just for working on woodworking or metal projects, you would have tons of room.

Keep the car outside. We gave up putting a car inside. Thanks go to my bride for her understanding.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Keep the car outside. We gave up putting a car inside. Thanks go to my bride for her understanding.

I couldn’t bring myself to do that with my 58. Maybe one day I’ll trade it for a MGB or Sprite.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Lance
    Pro

I have recently been looking for a band saw myself, I understand the concept of not buying too small, but are there any particular brands to avoid?
    Thanks!

I am going a different way – I figure I am low on space anyways, and Im not in a production setting, so I will go with handsaws for everything a bandsaw can do.

For resawing, there is a sweet frame saw kit that comes with a special plane to kerf a line around that the saw will follow. From everything Ive heard, you can resaw a board a foot or so wide at about a foot every couple of minutes. Maybe 20 minutes for a full 8-footer. No real capacity limits – you can go almost as wide as the frame saw being used, so long as you take your time

Im starting to realize that the reason I hated handsaws and thought they were so much work is because I had never used a good one or a sharp one. For a quick crosscut, they are so much faster than setting up the miter saw. Just lean it on a bench hook and go

Still find curves hard, but a good jigsaw will do those well

yellaD
    Pro

I’m in the same situation as you, we park the cars outside and GF is good about it.

@Montreal Medic, that’s very Tom Fidgens of you, 😛
    I’ve been trying to avoid getting both a bandsaw AND a great jigsaw, I’m trying to do one or the other…

I’m in the same situation as you, we park the cars outside and GF is good about it.

I’ve been trying to avoid getting both a bandsaw AND a great jigsaw, I’m trying to do one or the other…

Thanks!

Well, with the right handsaws, you dont need a jigsaw either technically, but my technique sucks, and Im limited by lack of space more than money (not that I have much to spare, but I can pay a premium if it takes less space while still giving good enough performance)

Although the good ones get really expensive fast. Its like hand planes. If you gear up in Veritas or Lie Nielson, it will be bad. Used is great

Problem with old saws is that most are in terrible shape, and Ive never even found a used frame or backsaw for sale for much cheaper than new.

If I was resawing often, I might care about a bandsaw, but for the little I do (just when I want to bookmatch a top or something) a handsaw does the job. Takes a little longer, but storage of the tools is a non-issue.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I started a bandsaw thread a few months ago when I acquired mine, It’s an older Craftsman 12″ that a auctioneer buddy came across and gave me. It’s going to need a minor tune up but I don’t mind, It came on a stand with wheels so that’s perfect in my small shop. The price was right and I’m so excited to use it

yellaD
    Pro

Thanks!

Well, with the right handsaws, you dont need a jigsaw either technically, but my technique sucks, and Im limited by lack of space more than money (not that I have much to spare, but I can pay a premium if it takes less space while still giving good enough performance)

Although the good ones get really expensive fast. Its like hand planes. If you gear up in Veritas or Lie Nielson, it will be bad. Used is great

Problem with old saws is that most are in terrible shape, and Ive never even found a used frame or backsaw for sale for much cheaper than new.

If I was resawing often, I might care about a bandsaw, but for the little I do (just when I want to bookmatch a top or something) a handsaw does the job. Takes a little longer, but storage of the tools is a non-issue.

I totally get you with price vs space issue. As far as handsaws are concerned I don’t know how to sharpen a saw blade so I don’t even bother looking at used. It’s easier to buy new jigsaw blades, so another reason I lean towards that route, but I do a lot of hardwoods that are 12/4 and 16/4 and the jiggy is not ideal.

Doobie

I have a cheap Mastercraft band saw and that’s exactly what it is CHEAP !Waste of money !

If you hang around woodworking forums, you’ll find a lot of folks who will confirm what John is saying here basically. Cheap bandsaws don’t last, have problematic issues, and give poor performance results. Truly not a piece of equipment you want to buy low end Chinese made crap. You’ll just pay for it twice.

I have a 14in floor model Delta I bought 13 years ago. It is Made In The USA and is actually the exact same model that Norm on NYW used on his show. I expect it will last me the rest of my days.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I was recently just at atlas tools where I was buying smaller items but the sales guys knows his pitch, as he slyly shows me the laguna band saws, wow they are sweet.

yellaD
    Pro

Yes stay away from cheap Chinese made crap, probably should be in “philosophical quote of the day” thread!

Doobie

I was recently just at atlas tools where I was buying smaller items but the sales guys knows his pitch, as he slyly shows me the laguna band saws, wow they are sweet.

Fifteen years ago when I was in the process of buying all my machines, I filled out a Laguna response card at a woodworking show asking to be contacted as well gave my business card to a rep on the floor asking to be contacted as I really would like to investigate buying one or more of their machines. Never got a reply from that so I contacted then by phone at their head office in California and asked for a rep to contact me which never happened either. I gave up on them figuring that is you can’t even contact me when I’ve got my wallet open for you practically begging to buy, I can only imagine what it would be like if I ever needed service from you.

Granted, things have likely changed since then, but for years afterwards, I would read on forums how others had nightmarish experiences with getting service from them. Investigate long and hard whether this is still the case with them if you are contemplating buying a Laguna machine.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.613 seconds