dcsimg

another bandsaw thread

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    yellaD
    Pro

What bandsaw do you have at the shop? Either standing or portable? I couldn’t find a thread that dealt with woodworking bandsaws specifically. I’m interested in getting one but I don’t want to spend over $700 CAD. Currently I am looking at kijiji ads for used ones, but I don’t know which is better (aside from looking at the usual stats like HP, throat “, max cut height, etc)…we have two crappy beat up ones at the Woodworking Club so it’s hard to tell…

A suggestion would be to go to woodworking magazine sites like FineWoodworking.com and Woodworkersjournal.com to see their reviews on various bandsaws. They do a great job of comparing them and giving you the pricing. Based on your budget you might find what you want at Grizzly: https://www.grizzly.com/

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I too have heard grizzly makes good saws. I’d love to have one myself!

Bandsaws don’t seem to be discussed much here…interested to hear what others say.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

yellaD
    Pro

Yeah Fine Woodworking has a 2016 tool review, I was flipping through it. Quite comprehensive, I forget which 3 bandsaws they chose as best rated. I will take a look at the magazine tmrw.

yellaD
    Pro

Loving the Grizzly site. It gives me confidence that they specialize in bandsaws.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/The-Ultimate-14-Bandsaw/G0555

or splurge on 17″

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP-Bandsaw-Anniversary-Edition/G0513ANV

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I eventually would like a large floor standing one but I make do with my harbour freight metal band saw. It does a decent enough job on wood as well, it was inexpensive and and has a smaller footprint.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Loving the Grizzly site. It gives me confidence that they specialize in bandsaws.

That means the site is doing it’s job. The Grizzly co. does not manufacture tools to say, they have them built to their specs and with their name on them.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I would buy the largest saw you can fit and afford. Large saws do everything small saws do and more. I think that the all steel framed saws are the best for stiffness and less vibration. I think that some of the Rikon, Grizzley and Laguna saws are rated well. I have an 18 inch Euro-made Laguna and it is a phenomenal piece of machinery – I used it for most things when I need a stationary tool. It rips perfectly with less waste than a table saw and takes up less room.

Orange County, CA

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

a nice bandsaw is definitely on my list

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I’ve got a Rockwell 14″ from the mid 1970’s.
    I got lucky at a local lawnsale and scooped this thing up for $100.
    I do know that the odd time they pop up on KIJIJI for about $300+, if you are in the market for a used one just keep your eyes pealed.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have the Rikon 14″ I picked it up for about $800 last fall. I have seen the same version in the 6 range or less with the open stand. Open stands are much cheaper than the enclosed stands.

Woodcraft just had a great price on the same one I have got 599 or 699

In most of the tests the Rincon came in just behind the Laguna in rankings, but the Laguna was a lot more money.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I’m looking at getting the Milwaukee fuel bandsaw, perfect for everything I need it for.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have this table saw from Grizzly and have used it for 15 yrs and not one problem. http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3-HP-240V-Cabinet-Left-Tilting-Table-Saw/G1023RLX I love it. As for my band saw I have a old sears and it does ok but I would rather have a better one.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Good advice on getting the biggest you can afford. The footprint of a 17″ saw is not a heck of a lot bigger that a 14″. IMO 3/4 HP on a 14″ saw is an absolute minimum if you plan to do much resawing. 1 HP makes life a lot easier.
    Dust collection capability should be on your radar, too. A lot of older saws are available for a good price but they may fall short here.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

I am very interested in what you end up with as I have an older Sears 14″ that I have gone as far as I can with, add-ons and modifications included. I have upgrading in the back of my mind so I would appreciate your research.

W

Will

yellaD
    Pro

Interesting…The maing reason I haaven’t gotten a bandsaw yet is because I can really only fit one or the other..band or table saw. I have a drill press and mitre saw on a stand and only 1 car garage. So far I’ve been using a hand me down mastercraft table saw that I’ve abused, I need to replace soon, that’s why I was thinking bandsaw. I only use the table saw mainly with a dado blade and as a table top (lol), not much else that can’t be done with another tool.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Interesting…The maing reason I haaven’t gotten a bandsaw yet is because I can really only fit one or the other..band or table saw. I have a drill press and mitre saw on a stand and only 1 car garage. So far I’ve been using a hand me down mastercraft table saw that I’ve abused, I need to replace soon, that’s why I was thinking bandsaw. I only use the table saw mainly with a dado blade and as a table top (lol), not much else that can’t be done with another tool.

A band saw takes up a lot less space than a TS and I would say its much easier to roll around than a TS. What size is your garage?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have a cheap Mastercraft band saw and that’s exactly what it is CHEAP !Waste of money !

yellaD
    Pro

I think the garage is 14′ X 23′ , a small single car garage. 10′ ceilings though.

yellaD
    Pro

The Finewoodworking magazine tool review lists the Powermatic 1500 ($2500) as editors choice as well as the Laguna 14/12 ($1100) as their readers choice, best value, as well as editors choice. They ranked two Grizzly drill presses as their picks though. The grizzly bandsaw had the highest ranked fence, and the only ranked slightly behind the honorable mentions. Also one of the cheapest they tested.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.517 seconds