dcsimg

Angle grinder dust shrouds

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Looking into dust shrouds for 4.5″ or 5″ angle grinders.

It seems some are vendor specific, and some are generic/universal.

The dust shroud for surface grinding is different from a shroud for cutting.

So my questions are:

(1) It seems many of these inhibit your visibility. While it may not be so critical for surface grinding, it’s important to see when you are cutting concrete blocks or cement boards in place. Who is the best in terms of visibility?

(2) Has anyone made a dust shroud that can serve both grinding and cutting? In other words, may be a shroud that can be reconfigured for the task?

(3) In general, is your experience is a Makita shroud perform the best for a Makita grinder, a DeWalt shroud better for the DeWalt grinder etc…or is a third party shroud like Dastool, CutBuddie worth considering?

Doobie
    Pro

I’ve only got shrouds by Bosch specific for my Bosch disk grinders and my surface grinder so I can’t really help other than in regards to visibily for cutting where critical, use a guide of sorts to execute.

I’d also think that experience via frequently doing cuts without a guide with a shroud on is also doable accurately, but likely for those who do such on a daily basis which is not me.

CB
    Pro

Did you pick out your grinder yet, or is the dust shroud issue part of your decision algorithm?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

MK Diamond makes some good shrouds.
    http://www.mkdiamond.com/concrete/ixl_00.html

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro

I’ve always had the impression that MK Diamond make good everything!

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Did you pick out your grinder yet, or is the dust shroud issue part of your decision algorithm?

Pretty much decided on DeWalt if I am going corded with the grinder, and Milwaukee if cordless.

Since I do more cutting then actual surface grinding, a cutting dust shroud needs to be part of the equation. As far as I know DeWalt has a grinding shroud but not a cutting shroud. Milwaukee and Bosch has both.

The shrouds made the Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita etc…are mostly metal shrouds with no visibility.

Third part “universal” shrouds they do have transparent shrouds, however, in reading reviews many of them complained that they don’t fit on brands they claim to fit.

Also noticed some complained that in a cutting shroud, as soon as the cut line is longer than the length of the shroud, the dust extraction fails because the cutting blade throws more dust into the groove then spin around the shroud.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I don’t see a cutting shroud on MK Diamond’s offering. I see a few surface grinding shrouds.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I don’t see a cutting shroud on MK Diamond’s offering. I see a few surface grinding shrouds.

We usually cut wet with a saw.

Dirty

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Outdoors on a horizontal surface I would also do it wet.

Inside on a vertical surface, like bathroom tiles and cement boards, with an angle grinder wet cutting is not always that easy…unless I use a squirting bottle on one hand and the grinder on the other.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Inside on a vertical surface, like bathroom tiles and cement boards, with an angle grinder wet cutting is not always that easy…unless I hold a squirting bottle with one hand and the grinder on the other.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Inside on a vertical surface, like bathroom tiles and cement boards, with an angle grinder wet cutting is not always that easy…unless I hold a squirting bottle with one hand and the grinder on the other.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

test

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

If it’s a floor slab I will wet cut.

If it’s on a vertical surface like 3/8″ porcelain tile over a 2″ thick mud bed with metal lath or concrete wall it’s easier to just use a grinder. Those are the use cases I want to use a cutting dust shroud. I have tried once with a squirt bottle in one hand and the grinder in another that doesn’t work too well.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

This thread is perfect timing for me. I’ll be cutting a vent for a range hood on the side of my house through brick. I’m thinking I should score it with an angle grinder and then chip with my cordless rotary hammer on chipping mode. The vent will be about 3”x11”.

j

CB
    Pro

I have mostly Milwaukee corded grinders (four of them) so I ended up picking a Milwaukee branded vacuum shroud. But it is more for optimized for grinding, rather than cutting, and it is made of plastic, not metal, and it is black, not clear. And it isn’t quick release either. I’ve had it for 25 years, so I’m sure things are a lot different today.

So in answer to your question #3, I went with the same brand shroud as the company who branded the tool, since the diameters would match. Not the diameters of the cutting or grinding wheels, but the diameters of the shroud collar that mates with the gear housing. I didn’t want any monkey business with the fitment. I wanted to pay the professionals (tool designers) for their already vetted and known to fit cleanly solution.

Hence, I asked if you had selected your grinders of choice yet, because that might very well dictate either which dust control you go with, or which grinder you go with, due to the dust control.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

If it’s on a vertical surface like 3/8″ porcelain tile over a 2″ thick mud bed with metal lath or concrete wall it’s easier to just use a grinder.

I like to us a saw on horizontal or vertical because I can attach a guide for the saw fence can ride on and tape on some plastic under so the slurry can be controlled.

Dirty

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

If it’s on a vertical surface like 3/8″ porcelain tile over a 2″ thick mud bed with metal lath or concrete wall it’s easier to just use a grinder.

I like to us a saw on horizontal or vertical because I can attach a guide for the saw fence can ride on and tape on some plastic under so the slurry can be controlled.

It all depends on the job I guess.

I have one coming up soon that I need to make a few rectangular cuts in the ceiling.

Old 1955 multiple ply rock lath ceiling. 3/4″ gypsum core backing, then another 3/4″ of brown coat plaster, then topped with a 1/8″ egg shell plaster, then may be 6-8 layers of paint over the years, wire mesh at all corners. A wet saw will be too heavy to hold upside down, slurry will rain on you.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It all depends on the job I guess.

I have one coming up soon that I need to make a few rectangular cuts in the ceiling.

Old 1955 multiple ply rock lath ceiling. 3/4″ gypsum core backing, then another 3/4″ of brown coat plaster, then topped with a 1/8″ egg shell plaster, then may be 6-8 layers of paint over the years, wire mesh at all corners. A wet saw will be too heavy to hold upside down, slurry will rain on you.

I would do a plastic tent for the one if you don’t want any dust to be in the house.

Dirty

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.479 seconds