dcsimg

amish show

• This topic has 89 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Nyx.
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Some more for posterity and detail purposes.

That is beautiful looking stuff !

I wish I had the opportunity and time to spend to work with and learn from them.

staker
    Pro
    Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Beautiful wood and arches in that house.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I wish I had the opportunity and time to spend to work with and learn from them.

I worked with some Amish guys before building a wrap around porch and they said I sure know my sh#t 🙂

I wish I had the opportunity and time to spend to work with and learn from them

I could really go for that too! It may be a summer trip to see them at work in Indiana/Ohio area.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We don’t have any to speak of in this region. We’re planning on a Pennsylvania trip this year sometime. Driving through Lancaster county on our way south last year, it was amazingly beautiful. Don’t normally do the tourist thing, as I grew up in a tourist trap, so hopefully there’s not too much of that.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Did you buy your BR set directly from the Amish ?

staker
    Pro
    cranbrook2
    Pro

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/kR0rdIbCoCU?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

It is pretty amazing how fast they can snap a barn up .It looked liked they had some contractors there too . A few guys were wearing shorts and Amish cant wear shorts .

Thanks for sharing the barn video. That is so cool how they all come together to help someone out. I would not desire to follow their lifestyle but that would be one aspect I am totally envious of.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Thanks for sharing the barn video. That is so cool how they all come together to help someone out. I would not desire to follow their lifestyle but that would be one aspect I am totally envious of.

It wouldn’t be a bad lifestyle – strong community/family ties, lots of honest work, and simple. No taxes. No big car loans. No big home loans….I have met a lot of Amish and I have met very few who were a-holes and even fewer who weren’t happy with their life – I can’t say the same of most of my neighbors.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

cranbrook2
    Pro

It wouldn’t be a bad lifestyle – strong community/family ties, lots of honest work, and simple. No taxes. No big car loans. No big home loans….I have met a lot of Amish and I have met very few who were a-holes and even fewer who weren’t happy with their life – I can’t say the same of most of my neighbors.

I agree completely ! I see them every week and they all are very nice honest up beat people .The kids are hard working and very well mannered and respectful .They always do everything as a family and all seem very happy .

staker
    Pro

I think it’s a great life style, honest and hardworking.

staker
    Pro

Thought you’s might enjoy this one.

Well said. Their values on family are unreal. They share so much time together with very little for entertainment that is man made. Quality time.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I really hate to see when they bring young children to the site and have them working. I am stalking some kids not even 10 or 11 yet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I really hate to see when they bring young children to the site and have them working. I am stalking some kids not even 10 or 11 yet.

You don’t get to be a pro at 21 by starting when your 18 😉 Amish depend on the whole family to pull their weight.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We keep them kids way too long, unnaturally.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

It wasn’t that long ago that almost everybody kid that age worked in one way or another. My dad was born in 1944 and only went to school until the 6th or 7th grade when his father pulled him out of school to work with him in his shop and on the farm. It was the same for all of his siblings – they went to school long enough to learn to read, write, and do basic math then that was it. My dad made me stay in school but I started working for a neighbor at 10 cleaning out horse stalls before and after school and I started going to jobsites with my dad around 13 or 14.

I think this is part of the issue with the trades lacking workers and the general poor work ethic so many people have now. A few generations ago a lot of people had to start working before their teenage years and now it isn’t uncommon for a person to have never worked until they graduate from college in their early to mid-twenties. If I hadnt started working until I was in my mid twenties I doubt that I would have the same attitude towards working that I have.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

That’s for sure , agree 100%

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.797 seconds