dcsimg

Alpine Climbing yesterday

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Sounds like you had a big time.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Wow, first time looking at this thread and the scenery you capture is awesome. You take great shots!

A Working Pro since 2004

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The scenery shots are just amazing.

Nature photography is pretty forgiving. The lighting is almost always perfect. The ones from yesterday are from my Samsung galaxy 3 believe it or not. A little post processing helps quite a bit.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Looks like an awesome climb, Kent.

I think anyone hiking it should be able to cut to the front of the line. 🙂

Resident Sign Guy

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Nature photography is pretty forgiving. The lighting is almost always perfect. The ones from yesterday are from my Samsung galaxy 3 believe it or not. A little post processing helps quite a bit.

That’s great. My boy like to do a lot of under water stuff.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Did you see the big hotel?

I’ve been by that place a few times. It’s really something to see.

Nice pics of the mountain too. Can’t wait till my boys get older.

Last summer I was helping with some framing on an addition. Yeah yeah…I know. It was all part of the big kitchen project I did last winter. Anyway, while framing…I tore a tendon on my sacrum (that’s the lower back for those who think I did something to my nuts)

It has taken me a long time to get that healed. I did hardly any winter hiking. It was way too painful. Slowly I started getting better and this spring/summer I have gone on some incredible climbs. They have these groups and lists for the White Mountains. I found one called the Terrifying 25 lol. They aren’t death defying like the ones out west, but they are still fairly hairy.

I went on one today, and I tell you…every part of my body is sore. Over did it some. But had a great time. Son isn’t here anymore. He’s in the AF. I go on the big ones by myself. The little ones I take the family.

This was today’s. One peak north of Mt. Washington. Or two if you count Mt. Clay.

First picture shows you the terrain at Alpine level. Just a giant pile of boulders.

Every kid should enjoy this. Even if it is a blanket in the back yard. Get out of the house and do something. These experiences are great, thanks for sharing.

These are some more that I did a few weeks ago.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Awesome pice Kent. Thanks for sharing. That boulder pile looks like a tough climb.

Ron

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Beautiful pics KW I thought you were on the east coast?

That is so incredible. Greats shots

I am Randy… I mean dwb. White Mountains are rugged country. Mt Washington is actually on the 10 most dangerous mountains in the world. The weather there is unbelievable. The presidential range is probably the biggest attraction. Peaks are named (for the most part) after presidents. Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Eisenhower, Jackson, Pierce. All alpine zone. All deadly in winter months…even summer. We lost a woman last winter. Got caught in some nasty weather.

Beautiful area. It’s being overused though.

4th of July weekend, I did a (sorta) midnight hike on Maine’s biggest mountain. Katahdin. Very rugged country, might even surpass Mt. Washington in terms of ruggedness and difficulty.

I had gone 2 times earlier in the past 4 years and it was a pathetic experience with all the people on the summit at the same time, so this time I purposely set out to avoid the crowd. I left the trailhead at 1am with my trusty headlamps.

I got to the headwall about 15 minutes before it just started getting light out. That was 3000′ straight up for a mile and a half. No need for equipment, but I was huffing and puffing for sure. About halfway up and the sun broke the horizon.

One of the most memorable climbs I have done. It was a sensational day up there. Found two people had climbed a bit before me and made the summit before I got there.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Great pics Kent. It’s a beautiful place that’s for sure.

Ron

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

amazing pictures, excuse my ignorance but do you walk up these or do you have to do any technical climbing with apparatus ?

No technical stuff. At the most here on the east coast is a class 3 climb for hiking. Class 4 is where you start to need equipment. Class 3 is pretty hairy though. It’s possible to slip and cause serious injury if there’s wet weather. Or dry I guess.

Class 5 is what I consider rock climbing.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

No technical stuff. At the most here on the east coast is a class 3 climb for hiking. Class 4 is where you start to need equipment. Class 3 is pretty hairy though. It’s possible to slip and cause serious injury if there’s wet weather. Or dry I guess.

Class 5 is what I consider rock climbing.

thats awesome, thanks for sharing the photos. Unfortunately i live in Ontario which is pancake flat so we don’t get to do any good hikes up mountains like that.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I love those awesome shots!!
    It seems like every week over we hear on the news of someone falling and having to get rescued with the helicopter. Sometimes they get hurt very badly. It’s sad.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.344 seconds