dcsimg

Alpine Climbing yesterday

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

The peace and quiet of mountains. Got to love it. Beautiful pics.

Well, that was an epic fall into the drink 🙂 My wife witnessed me hopping across the stream and make it to the last rock, only to slip and fall backward into the stream. Face first, heading downstream…honestly didn’t even get a scratch. But my dSLR and Android phone…might be toast. The dSLR I am most concerned about. The phone I was already to replace anyway, but the camera body is like $700. It’s not looking good.

Ironically…the brook I fell into is called Whitin Brook.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

But my dSLR and Android phone…might be toast.

Oh crap. That sucks. I’m surprised you don’t pack that stuff in zip lock bags or something. Sounds like it may have been slightly funny until the realization of the phone and camera.

Well, I have to be prepared for that shot, so I take that educated risk. It finally bit me. My phone seems somewhat OK. I’m losing charge pretty fast, but not sure what is going on. I think it fared surprisingly well. My dSLR got dunked good and I made the mistake of turning it on to see if it was OK. Some funny things happened with the display readout and then it said “attach lens” and then bloop…out permanently. Has not recovered at all. I would much rather have the phone go than the camera. I need a new phone. My camera was pretty nice.

Anywho, here’s a taste of what we did yesterday. It was a desolate ass kicker. We saw 3 people total, which is shocking. And rugged as hell. Some seriously steep pitches. Good views though, as always.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Great shots Kent.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Some nice photos, thanks for posting. Beautiful view.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Gorgeous. Nice views for sure.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well, that was an epic fall into the drink :) My wife witnessed me hopping across the stream and make it to the last rock, only to slip and fall backward into the stream. Face first, heading downstream…honestly didn’t even get a scratch. But my dSLR and Android phone…might be toast. The dSLR I am most concerned about. The phone I was already to replace anyway, but the camera body is like $700. It’s not looking good.

Ironically…the brook I fell into is called Whitin Brook.

Dam Kent that’s just sad to hear! I hate to say this now but my kid packs his Cannon 5D around in wet boats and such in a water proof DaKine back pack.

Yeah, it’s toast. The phone works fine apparently, but the camera is completely unresponsive. Hiking isn’t much of a watersport, but apparently that day was.

So, I have been absent here for awhile. I have been on vacation and lots of mountain climbing. My son and I Thursday are going for the big one. Mount Washington, which is the tallest peak in all of New England. The other day I went up Mount Adams, which is the 2nd tallest, and actually more strenuous than Washington. Pictures just cannot describe the beauty of this place. Only one way to get to Adams, you must climb.

Another one I went to while on vacation over 4th of July weekend was Acadia National Park. Now, these guys are tiny mountains compared to the White Mountains, but the one I went to was called the Beehive, and I will tell you what…there’s not much out there more rugged, steep, and dangerous than this little guy. One false move and it’s curtains.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s some great views! I missed it, how old is your son? It’s great he spends time with you. Mine is to busy to spend time with me now.

He’s 19 and still in school, but still…he does the same…too busy most of the time. Just like that damn song says “cats in the cradle”

We are heading to the big one tomorrow…the king of mountains in the northeast. Taking the absolute toughest trail in NE.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So, I have been absent here for awhile. I have been on vacation and lots of mountain climbing. My son and I Thursday are going for the big one. Mount Washington, which is the tallest peak in all of New England.

I climbed Mt. Washington when I was in college. We did it in March and went to the top on a Saturday, then spent the night at the summit. Saturday night there was an ice storm and it made for an interesting descent.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

We are heading to the big one tomorrow…the king of mountains in the northeast. Taking the absolute toughest trail in NE.

Sounds like a hard couple days. Have fun and be safe. Take lots of pics!

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I climbed Mt. Washington when I was in college. We did it in March and went to the top on a Saturday, then spent the night at the summit. Saturday night there was an ice storm and it made for an interesting descent.

I imagine, that is usually a borderline month to be climbing Washington with the avalanches. Do you recall the trail you took? I’m guessing either Ammosoosuc or Lion’s Head.

Sounds like a hard couple days. Have fun and be safe. Take lots of pics!

Just one day only, we are badass! 🙂

This will give you a small sampling of where we are going. Huntington Ravine.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I imagine, that is usually a borderline month to be climbing Washington with the avalanches. Do you recall the trail you took? I’m guessing either Ammosoosuc or Lion’s Head.

I forget the trail. We drove up from Boston in my room mates VW, parked it and started the climb up. Next day we cam back down using our ice axes as anchors to keep from sliding. We had a good time. The view was nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Did you see the big hotel? That at least puts you on the west or east side. Ice axes, lol…I’m not there yet. Crampons, yes. Ice axes, nnnnnope. I will this winter though. I was on some hairy spots last winter where I really needed one. The only hotel left after the massive rush in the last 1800’s to early 1900’s. Amazing that this is the only one left.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Just like that damn song says “cats in the cradle”

Yes I know. Mines in Indonesia surfing and putting his Cannon 5D to good use.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Do not remember the hotel. But that thing is impressive.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well, we survived! I thought MAYBE with all the hiking I have been doing I could keep up with my son….no go 🙂 Man, he has a set of lungs and legs on him. We got to the really steep part and I said “oh, this is the part everyone talks about” and he proceeded to practically sprint up the face. Just in awe of his athleticism.

The Huntington Ravine surely lived up to the hype. It’s steep. Just about as close as you want to get without ropes and belays. Total trip was 10 miles and about 4500′ in elevation gain. Took us 8 hours total. The rocks were frikken incredible. All day long, on rocks. My feet are killing me!

We get to the top of the ravine climb and as they warned, it’s anti climactic when you sit there and see cars wizzing by with bumper stickers that say “this car climbed mount washington”

oh, isn’t that neat….your CAR climbed mount washington. You must have broke a nail doing that 🙂

We get to the actual summit and there’s a line of tourists 40 deep all getting pictures. We are nice and get in line. I’m not getting off this rock pile without proof baby. We get next in line, and out of the corner of my left eye I see this young man, about 15 or so, creeping up towards the summit. I look left, straight at him with the “oh no you aren’t” look and he cowers like a bad dog lol. Don’t you DARE cut in line when I just climbed this beast! I will go Grizzly Adams on you!

My son and I had a great time, a great day, and will be revisiting, hopefully in less than crowded conditions.

One last note, they have this thing called the cog railway. There’s 3 engine/car combo’s. One is a steam engine. They climb and descend on this track and it has cogs on the tracks. Pretty interesting really. Where it goes down the mountain…steep!

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.412 seconds