dcsimg

Alpine Climbing yesterday

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Moze
    Dallas, TX

They have a section in NH called the Pemigewasset Loop. It’s in the vicinity of 31 miles. Every year they have a wilderness run. I met one of the runners last year training. I thought he was crazy. He was running up the mountain. I don’t mean jogging, I mean full out sprint up 2,000 ish feet. Fastest know time to finish? 6h27m48s.

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/32/pemigewasset-loop-nh

And what’s further insane is that they have these mountain races all over the US. They aren’t 31 miles though, they are 100 km or so. I’m not that much into it.

http://runchallis.com/race-info/

I’ll pass on the racing lol. I do it to relax. That would be fun though.

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

This was a hike just south of Mount Washington one morning. I decided to leave super early from my house and show up at the trailhead at about 4 AM so I could get this shot. I’d say I got it!

http://whittendesigns.com/pics/Jackson/DSC00549.jpg

Nice shot!

Resident Sign Guy

So, across the news feed was a story of a full lunar eclipse coming April 15th of this year. Two weeks away. Seems it is going to be in the middle at 3:46….AM! I have a tentative plan already to head to a peak to enjoy the view. Crossing my fingers for a great weather day. Will be brushing up on methods of taking the picture. The eclipse will last a little over an hour and be a little above horizon with Mars sitting on top of the moon. How perfect huh?

There was a window of opportunity today, and with a gap in my schedule…I said what the hey. Set out super early. Left my house at 2:45 AM, was about a mile from the summit when the sun rose.

This is probably one of the best views of Mount Washington anywhere in the White Mountains. This side of the mountain is the most popular to head up. You can barely make out the observatory at the top, plus the auto road on the right side of the picture. The trail on the bottom left heads into Tuckerman’s Ravine. My son and I are heading up to the Ravine to the right of the picture. Supposed to be the steepest grades in New England.

Mount Washington is 6,289′ high, which doesn’t sound like much, but the elevation gain compared to the 14,000′ peaks in CO and CA are comparable, just that we have more oxygen to breathe lol.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Nice man, keep the pictures coming. I’ve been hiking in Idaho, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia and some other places but have never made it up your way.

Resident Sign Guy

Upstate New York is nice as well. My son and I are planning to go to Mt. Colden and head up the Trap Dike.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

I grew up all over upstate, and yeah there are definitely some pretty parts. I miss it quite a bit (except the economy).

Resident Sign Guy

Someone had posted this hike in Colorado on the mountain climbing forum I’m on. Seriously going to do this someday. Slowly though, wow! We have a knife edge on Katahdin, but nothing like this.

I grew up in Colorado and did my share of hiking and climbing 14ers…never did this type of peak…that is crazy.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Someone had posted this hike in Colorado on the mountain climbing forum I’m on. Seriously going to do this someday. Slowly though, wow! We have a knife edge on Katahdin, but nothing like this.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe src=”//player.vimeo.com/video/71757831?theme=none&wmode=opaque” title=”Capitol Peak – Knife Edge” webkitallowfullscreen=”” mozallowfullscreen=”” allowfullscreen=”” frameborder=”0″ height=”433″ width=”770″></iframe></figure>

Man I almost got sick just watching that one. Great thread Kent.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Pretty cool, I think I need to get into that again. When I was in HS, I worked for a conservation corp in Vermont. We worked on the Long and Appalachian trails doing maintenance and built a few trails. Lived in the woods for weeks at a time, it was really nice.

Never did winter hiking, but think I may have to give that a wack.

On the picture note, if you open them in a new tab, it will bring them back to full size.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

I guess I don’t get that extreme climbing…not the free climbing anyway. Especially if you have a family, kids, etc. Ones slip and no more daddy, husband, etc. Not trying to start anything, I just don’t get the thrill-to-risk ratio…

Resident Sign Guy

Anonymous
    Inactive

Holy Crap!! NO way, That guy is crazy man. Although it’s so cool to see what a knife edge really looks like from that close but NO way.

For me climbing a ladder is a hairy adventure. LOL

NO WAY is right on Boyd.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I couldn’t even watch the whole thing, I just about lost my lunch. No thank you.

I guess I don’t get that extreme climbing…not the free climbing anyway. Especially if you have a family, kids, etc. Ones slip and no more daddy, husband, etc. Not trying to start anything, I just don’t get the thrill-to-risk ratio…

I understand, but there is also risk just getting into a car and driving down the road. There’s risk all around.

I’m guessing that this was not this guys first hike. I’m certain that there is much experience behind that kind of crossing, and calculated risk. I saw plenty of footholds where he was crossing. Sure, once bad move and he’s a gonner, but same in driving down the highway 70-80.

My son and I are heading to Mount Washington this summer to go up Huntington Ravine, supposedly the roughest, steepest trail in all of New England. I have no worries at all about it, as I never had any worries about walking on roofs without harnesses. I know the risks.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m with you on this point Moze. I stopped going in deadly large surf after the kids came in to world.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’m with you on this point Moze. I stopped going in deadly large surf after the kids came in to world.

Funny how those things change some of the things we do.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Yeah, it’s one of those things people are just going to have different views on.

Anyway, I hope you have a blast Kent, along with your son. There’s nothing like the outdoors.

Resident Sign Guy

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Yep, so true. I don’t think I’ll be getting that motorcycle for a long while yet, let alone doing some climbing like that, what a rush it would be, but just isn’t in the cards for me anymore.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.478 seconds