dcsimg

Alpine Climbing yesterday

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 108 total)
  • Author

There’s a few of me who know what I’ve been up to for the last year. Winter came around and I found quite the community of winter mountain climbers, mostly in the White Mountains of NH. I’ve done night hikes, alpine hikes, and crazy mofo hikes. I have been fortunate on most of them to have incredible weather and scenery. Winter gives the best, clear views and the trail companions I believe are unmatched. Very friendly people.

I went yesterday to two mountain peaks. A long, snowshoe hike in the woods. Came back and met some real crazy bastids having a party at one of the appalachian trail huts. 2 miles to hike, and 70 people dressed up in suits.

Anyway, here are a few shots I took up top. I don’t believe Randy is willing to give up his Hawaii weather for this! Yeah, that’s about 5′ of snow on the ground.

I left one picture out to see if I can figure this image link thing here. May not happen, but we shall try.

Edit: Looks like it is the img in brackets, but it really resizes it.

So, here’s the link for a bigger picture. Guess I will just upload them at that size.

http://whittendesigns.com/pics/Kinsman%20Trip/DSC01296.jpg

The view is breathtaking. How cool you can go out and do that! So what happens when you fall in the snow?

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Great pics. Sure looks cold.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

The view is breathtaking. How cool you can go out and do that! So what happens when you fall in the snow?

Funny you should say that. They have these things called spruce traps. Small spruce trees will get buried in snow, especially by drifting. They completely mask that there is anything even there. Then boom! You fall in. Beginning of the year, not so much an issue. February, March….possible. Heavy snow years could be dangerous. Mostly just a good laugh. One persons story had them head over tea kettle, and was a really dangerous situation.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I left one picture out to see if I can figure this image link thing here. May not happen, but we shall try.
    <P></P>
    <P>Edit: Looks like it is the img in brackets, but it really resizes it.</P>
    <P>So, here’s the link for a bigger picture. Guess I will just upload them at that size.</P>
    <P>http://whittendesigns.com/pics/Kinsman%20Trip/DSC01296.jpg</P>
    <P></P>

That would be a perfect spot for a 10,000 sq ft log home πŸ™‚

Great pics. Sure looks cold.

Anything over 15″f is plenty warm. Once you start to climb, you’ll be ripping clothes off.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I grew up in Colorado Did a lot of snow skiing. And your right when your moving the temps become bearable. Still all that snow puts a chill in the air. lol

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Beautiful, we have a lot of good places to go around here too, but didn’t make it out this winter. I need to get more time carved out for this next winter.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cool but Brrrr, That looks just like my backyard. Well, Not actually my backyard but just a few miles away. I used to love the winters doing that kind of thing but only on a snowmobile, You have beautiful country there too. Thanks for the pics

Beautiful. My dad lives in NH and I have done a lot of hiking in the White Mountains — although never in winter. Great pics.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That looks very beautiful country up there.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Wow Kent that is just beautiful country!

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

wow..amazing views

Man that is truly beautiful! I definitely need to find something outdoorsy to do to better survive (and enjoy!) the winters here in the Twin Cities! I really need to have something to look forward to in order to better enjoy fifty straight days of below 0 πŸ™‚

John S

Take up hockey. That’s big in the Twin Cities and you mentioned you were athletic. πŸ™‚

Thats some incredible view.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

My favorite past time is hiking. I don’t get to do it nearly as much as I’d like unfortunately.

Resident Sign Guy

They have a section in NH called the Pemigewasset Loop. It’s in the vicinity of 31 miles. Every year they have a wilderness run. I met one of the runners last year training. I thought he was crazy. He was running up the mountain. I don’t mean jogging, I mean full out sprint up 2,000 ish feet. Fastest know time to finish? 6h27m48s.

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/32/pemigewasset-loop-nh

And what’s further insane is that they have these mountain races all over the US. They aren’t 31 miles though, they are 100 km or so. I’m not that much into it.

http://runchallis.com/race-info/

This was a hike just south of Mount Washington one morning. I decided to leave super early from my house and show up at the trailhead at about 4 AM so I could get this shot. I’d say I got it!

http://whittendesigns.com/pics/Jackson/DSC00549.jpg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.382 seconds