dcsimg

All your work boot questions

This topic contains 101 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  RonW 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 102 total)
  • Author

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Now that KEEN Utility is a sponsor of bethepro.com, they want to help answer your work boot questions. Use this topic to ask any work boot related questions and I will work with KEEN Utility to write up articles to answer some of your questions.

Aaron

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

what actually constitutes a warrenty issue with a boot. when i was selling 12 years ago we would tell the customer that if the upper portion of the sneaker starts coming apart before the outsole is showing signs of wear its covered

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

I would love to learn a few simple things to help boots live longer… especially if they don’t take a lot of time to do 🙂

John S

Anonymous

John S, I think it’s like an oil. In fact, The store I was buying mine from would do it as part of their service after the sale thing. Although I never took them up on it but I guess they would service them and replace the strings for free too when needed. I usually wore out the sole’s before the top anyway

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I would like to know if there are any recommendation on uneven wear towards the inside of the sole?

redwood
    Pro

Brian wrote:I would like to know if there are any recommendation on uneven wear towards the inside of the sole?

When you walk, just turn your ankles so that the outside of your foot makes contact with the ground. I was going to tell you to rotate your shoes, but I’m not sure if that is plausible or not. jk

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Brian,
    Look for something called Heel Straits. There are other brands out there too. They are basically wedges that you put in your shoe. You put the thick edge toward the side that you have excessive wear. The level out your foot so you hit the hole sole when you walk rather than one side first. Last ones I bought were only a few bucks a pair.

Anonymous

Jerry, I’ve never heard of those but it sounds like they would work except maybe the other way around, Wouldn’t you want the thick side on the side that doesn’t have any wear? Or, Just get a front end alignment 🙂

kzcarp
    Pro

I think if I stop introducing my workboots to lazy laborer butts I might get more life out of them. The laborers too, maybe.

kevin

Anonymous

Kevin wrote:I think if I stop introducing my workboots to lazy laborer butts I might get more life out of them. The laborers too, maybe.

kevin

Steel toe boots work best for that. I know, That’s what my boss always wore. 🙂

kzcarp
    Pro

That’s why I have the shiny toes on my boots.

kevin

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

No Brian,

The thick part of the wedge shifts the weight of your body to the other side of your foot. The shift in weight balances the wear. Think about the thick side “throwing” the weight and wear to the other side of your foot and boot. They may called Heel Straits also. I buy mine off the internet.

I used to “over pronate” meaning I ran my shoes over to the inside so bad that the sides of my boots would eventually make contact with the ground. Heel straighteners fixed me right up. A by-product was a major reduction in back pain.

Do they come in 11W or 11 1/2 W without steel toe ?

kzcarp
    Pro

Click on the ad in the margin and check them out. They make a bunch of different styles, steel toe and not.

kevin

All of a sudden I realized we have all the regulars posting again and I remembered why… It is the weekend!!! Good to have you all active on the forum!

John S

Anonymous

Jerry wrote:No Brian,

The thick part of the wedge shifts the weight of your body to the other side of your foot. The shift in weight balances the wear. Think about the thick side “throwing” the weight and wear to the other side of your foot and boot. They may called Heel Straits also. I buy mine off the internet.

I used to “over pronate” meaning I ran my shoes over to the inside so bad that the sides of my boots would eventually make contact with the ground. Heel straighteners fixed me right up. A by-product was a major reduction in back pain.

Ohhhhhhh ok, That makes sense. Sorry about that, Just thought you might have wrote it backwards. My bad.

woodman_412

That’s good to know about the wedges. I always wear out the inner side of the sole first too. I find that when the sole gets worn too unevenly then it starts to mess with my knees.

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

dan. sounds like you prontat… meaning your foot leans dominately inward.. try super feet insoles.. i started wearing them 2 years ago and they make a world of difference

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I learned about all this back when I wore leather soled cowboy boots. A shoe repair shop in Raleigh NC. He started building up the inside of boot heels about 3/16″. Boots lasted longer, back hip and knee pain went down. All around a good thing. When I stopped wearing leather soled boots I went to the heel straights.

On another tangent on boot comfort. I have had good luck with the Dr. Scholls inserts. The ones where you stand on the platform and it spits out the model you need. Kind of gimmicky but I like them anyway.

kzcarp
    Pro

Really, the DR.Scholls ? I wouldn’t have expected that. Of course that would require me not only to go to walmart, but to take off my shoes there also, both sort of freak me out a little. But good to know.

kevin

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.352 seconds