dcsimg

Air Tool Oil Bottles

This topic contains 23 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author

woodman_412

Have you guys found any air tool oil bottles that don’t leak? Anything I’ve ever had leaks if it’s not standing up and makes a mess. I was curious what you guys use or if you have any good solutions.

Dan

danpattison.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think they all leak. Most of my nail gun cases have oil smears in them from the bottle that they supply with the gun leaking. The only way i have kept them from leaking is to put the plastic internal cap backin then the regular cap. This time of year we use a winter grage oil so the guns dont freeze up.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I haven’t found anything yet that doesn’t leak – I just try to make sure the bottles are always put away so they don’t fall over, especially in the trailer.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

I would suggest putting them in appropriately sized zip locks bags so any leakage is easily contained. You can’t get much cheaper than a zip lock for a solution.

kzcarp
    Pro

The oil bottles that came with my Makita nailers didn’t leak. But there all used up and gone.
    Doesn’t get too much easier than a zip lock either, lon.
    I just try to keep them in the corner of a tool box wedged in.

kevin

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I have never got one that doesn’t leak or doesn’t have an un-even drip. I keep mine on my lubricant shelf where I have an absorbing mat under.

I just don’t get why they don’t make a good twist top version like gun lube.

Anonymous

I guess I’m not the only one, All my bottles have leaked, I always figured it was from that last drop that didn’t quite make it out and ran down the side of the bottle. Have you guys ever considered using an in-line automatic oiler? There’s a few different types but the one I like the best installs close to the tool itself. I had one once that I mounted on the output of the compressor, I figured it would be out of the way and everything would be cool. Well, With 75′ of air line on a reel the oil never made it to any of the tools. I like this one

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I guess I’m not the only one, All my bottles have leaked, I always figured it was from that last drop that didn’t quite make it out and ran down the side of the bottle. Have you guys ever considered using an in-line automatic oiler? There’s a few different types but the one I like the best installs close to the tool itself. I had one once that I mounted on the output of the compressor, I figured it would be out of the way and everything would be cool. Well, With 75′ of air line on a reel the oil never made it to any of the tools. I like this one

I have used an in-line oiler but when I am using my shop air for blowing I don’t want to get that oil residue on anything. I guess I could just use two hoses and add an oiler to one.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Most of the time I find an empty bottle when I get the tool and a case full of oil. I tossed the little bottles and just use one of these big ones now – it doesn’t leak:

woodman_412

I would suggest putting them in appropriately sized zip locks bags so any leakage is easily contained. You can’t get much cheaper than a zip lock for a solution.

Lon, I’ve tried using ziplock bags before and it does keep the oil contained but then it makes a mess on my hands when I take the bottle out to use it. Certain jobs that doesn’t matter but when you’re working with unfinished wood it’s a pain. You would think someone would come out with a great new oil bottle design that solved all of our problems.

Dan

danpattison.com

kzcarp
    Pro

Too bad the manufacturers cant package in cans like this,
    http://www.amazon.com/Goof-Off-Miracle-Remover-4-5-Ounce/dp/B001AHAN2M
    like the old 3/1 oil or lighter fluid. This one has been leak free and drip free.
    Of course its all volatile solvents stuff so I wouldn’t know if it did.

kevin

woodman_412

Your pics didn’t work Kevin but I think I know the ones that you mean. I have a little can of 3 in 1 oil in my shop that I use to wipe a light coat on plane blades, chisels etc after I sharpen with water stones to prevent any rust. That would be a much better design than most of the plastic bottles.

Dan

danpattison.com

kzcarp
    Pro

Yeah, weird, that’s why I added the link to the product.

kevin

Understood Dan. I was looking at solving the immediate issue of oil in the tool’s carrying case. I could go for a better bottle too. How about a bottle used for eye drops? My wife showed me hers and the top pops right off so you could fill it with oil. They don’t leak.

I forgot to reference your post Dan: Lon, I’ve tried using ziplock bags before and it does keep the oil contained but then it makes a mess on my hands when I take the bottle out to use it. Certain jobs that doesn’t matter but when you’re working with unfinished wood it’s a pain. You would think someone would come out with a great new oil bottle design that solved all of our problems.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i have several of those caps like the one matt posted.. those still leak .. the only way to keep em from leaking is to keep them upright… last year i had a 500 ml bottle of winter gun oil complelely empty out in the large toolbox i carry all my hoses and chords in.. .luckily the spool of rope that was in there soaked it all up….

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

kzcarp
    Pro

These are the ones I get when I need some. Haven’t had any leakage issues yet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQSYJ2?ie=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393177&creativeASIN=B000BQSYJ2&linkCode=shr&tag=mznanmn-20

Yes! See There you go, If I can think of it, chances are someone else already has.

kevin

Anonymous

I have used an in-line oiler but when I am using my shop air for blowing I don’t want to get that oil residue on anything. I guess I could just use two hoses and add an oiler to one.

Yeah that’s not a good thing, You could put together a little short length of hose with the oiler in it and quick connects on each end to put between the tool and the main air hose. That way it can be removed for blowing. 🙂

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Has anyone ever tried an eye dropper bottle?

Thoughts?

Yeah that’s not a good thing, You could put together a little short length of hose with the oiler in it and quick connects on each end to put between the tool and the main air hose. That way it can be removed for blowing.

I use 2 different colored hoses. Yellow for the oiled line and red for clean. I split the air outtake to different lines.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.462 seconds