dcsimg

Air Brush and Trim

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I asked about this awhile back and I finally tried it out today. An airbrush works great to touchup trim painted with lacquer. Fast, easy, clean and handy as all get out. I used a double action since that is what I had. I had to thin the lacquer down a little. You are working with a very tiny needle and orifice. I made a mess getting started so I didn’t want to handle my cell phone to take pictures. I have a little more to do tomorrow so I will try for pictures then.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

My HVLP is technically a touch up gun, so I’m familiar with the smaller needle and cap size (1.0mm) I prefer it that way after using it for a while.

What did you get? What size needle and cap set? I only thin lacquer 5-10% or so…not even sure if that much is necessary.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

The brush I was using today had a .5mm needle. and a 1/3 oz cup. At 2 inches the spray patter is less than 1/2 inch.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

The brush I was using today had a .5mm needle. and a 1/3 oz cup. At 2 inches the spray patter is less than 1/2 inch.

How is the overspray with the airbrush?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

If you pay attention to where you are pointing it the overspray is almost non-existent. If you wave it around like a kitten playing with string you can get it all over. I was using canned propellant which is chloro carbons. Between that and the lacquer fumes I got pretty lit up.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

That’s interesting… just spotting nail holes?

--Steve

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I was thinking one might be nice when trimming white lacquer cabinets.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

That’s interesting… just spotting nail holes?

That and touching up marks on trim where the carpet was drug in. A couple of places I had to fill in door mortises and a few cat scratches. Faster than anything i had used before.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Wow…mine has a 10″ pattern! I guess they aren’t so similar!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Where I had to spray right next to other painted surfaces I used 1 strip of 1/2″ tape and only needed about half of that width.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW I use an airbrush doing painting on restoration parts and the overspray is practically nil. You could touch up a cabinet in a house and be fine.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

woodman_412

That’s a great idea to use an air brush, I’ll have to give that a try. I have a nice higher end air brush from years ago when I built models that I don’t really use much now but it would be perfect for that. Thanks for the tip!

Dan

danpattison.com

Jummul
    Pro

That’s a great idea! I don’t have an airbrush unfortunately but I like the spirit 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.555 seconds