dcsimg

Advantages of staying same platform for 12V and 18V?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 10 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

If you are going with both the 12V and 18V platforms, what are the advantages of going with the same brand for both?

I can think of:

On some brands you can get a charger that lets you charge both 12 & 18v batteries.

You can use the same technology like One Key for both platforms.

If you buy a job site radio or whatever most likely you will have a built in charger for both voltages.

Anything else? Are these advantages big enough to stay with one brand?

Doobie
    Pro

You pretty well nailed it.

There is maybe one more. It’s only aplicable in certain rare circunstances, and is not observed as a rule, just a potential edge when it comes to warranty service with a brand and only if one bothers to register the tools they’ve bought.

Basically, the more tools you have registered and on account will likely get you better customer service when you have a problem with one of their tools. Trust me, this can make a difference with how you are treated on the phone with them.

I probably have over 50 Bosch tools on account and each time I call in to register a new tool, you can tell at some point the rep is noticing how many tools are registered and their tone on the phone changes to one of even better service they want to offer. Often they will thank you for your loyalty in their goodbyes to you. Which makes sense when you think about it. A heavy user of a company’s products is exactly who they want to keep happy and thank wholeheartedly for their patronage.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I use Ridgid for my 12 volt line. It’s just a very economical tool and works very well. I’m working on slimming down my 18 volt line from three or four batteries to two.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

A heavy user of a company’s products is exactly who they want to keep happy and thank wholeheartedly for their patronage.

Honestly, I think that is the only reason to choose a single mfg for multiple battery platforms.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I probably have over 50 Bosch tools on account and each time I call in to register a new tool, you can tell at some point the rep is noticing how many tools are registered and their tone on the phone changes to one of even better service they want to offer. Often they will thank you for your loyalty in their goodbyes to you. Which makes sense when you think about it. A heavy user of a company’s products is exactly who they want to keep happy and thank wholeheartedly for their patronage.

Your are probably right. I am sure the person doesn’t get treat the same the person with 50 tools.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Good point on the loyalty part. It’s good to hear that loyalty makes a difference with Bosch.

Doobie
    Pro

Good point on the loyalty part. It’s good to hear that loyalty makes a difference with Bosch.

It should with any company. Especially when they can see that the customer is a frequent user. If they don’t in a situation like that, it’s time to park your dollars elsewhere.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

I prefer owning multiple platforms from multiple brands. It opens up a lot of options. When my crew is using my tools it’s because they’re working directly with me and otherwise they have their own tools and I don’t provide them. They’re all contract rather than employees so there’s not a real advantage to me sticking to only one platform. I have an L-BOXX 4 I take to sites with chargers and batteries for all my different platforms. It’s the same box I’d use if I had only one. If I had a massive construction company with employees and I provided vehicles, equipment, phones and tools, I’d definitely stick to a single battery platform. In my opinion, there’s no real advantage of using only one brand for two voltage platforms, at least for me. If the items you mentioned are important for you, then I see an advantage.

j

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

It should with any company. Especially when they can see that the customer is a frequent user. If they don’t in a situation like that, it’s time to park your dollars elsewhere.

It’s few and far between nowadays.

Down here, for example, Comcast the cable internet provider offers special low rates to new customers only. Existing customers? Sorry, no deal. So many people switch between AT&T and Comcast every 2 years to get the “new deals”. Or threaten to quit and rely on their retention department to lower rates.

Banks are the same way. Bank of America, Citibank, no “loyalty” when it comes to servicing long time customers.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Very hard to stay with one manufacturer and have all the tools you want/need. I like Bosch Tools I really do; if they have a tool 12V or 18V then they are my first choice. Does Bosch have a cordless solder tool, a cordless stapler, a cordless rivet gun, cordless table saw etc? No. They have been working on the table saw for like 3 years; hello I need it now. The CORE has been out 2 years and we were promised lots of new tools that would take advantage of the CORE technology; we are still waiting. In short if you need a good quality tool that lasts a long time and Bosch has it out right now I’ll buy it but if Milwaukee, DeWalt, or Makita has a tool Bosch doesn’t have and I can use it, I’m buying it because waiting for Bosch to develop a new tool and bring it to market is an exercise in futility the cordless table saw is a great example.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

They have been working on the table saw for like 3 years; hello I need it now.

If it takes them that long to put a tool together maybe they should stick with something they already know.. windshield wipers & auto parts??

Dirty

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

auto parts

cross auto parts from that list. It’s a hit and miss with those LOL

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

If it takes them that long to put a tool together maybe they should stick with something they already know.. windshield wipers & auto parts??

Bosch’s R&D is kinda slow. They make good tools they just don’t have a as good a lineup as say Makita or Milwaukee.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

But they have dishwashers washers dryers toaster ovens blenders juicers but Marita Milwaukee don’t.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

auto parts

cross auto parts from that list. It’s a hit and miss with those LOL

I thought Bosch auto electric motors were the best? They are used in Porsche, Benz and Volvo and other fine cars.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I thought Bosch auto electric motors were the best? They are used in Porsche, Benz and Volvo and other fine cars.

Bosch sensors are really high quality. If you can find a place that sells them they are worth the extra money.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.478 seconds