dcsimg

Addition over Garage

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Another question, what are the thoughts of the white shakes on the addition.

Are you talking about the siding? I see the lap is bigger. It looks to be a different siding than the old house has.

It is actually a panelized shake siding on the area above the garage. It has about an 8″ exposure, the house id a double 4 steel siding.

Oh Okay,, at first it looked like a lap siding but with a better look I see it’s a shake siding.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We will be scraping the entire ceiling and retexturing I guess. A project for later in the week as the weather will be crappy later in the week.

Oh man hope you figure out what the problem is for it not to bond.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We are also remodeling the kitchen on this project. The cabinet maker that the owner picked just finished the cabinets so we demoed the old kitchen a week ago, and then rewired and patched drywall and plaster.

We are having a couple issues with the old ceiling texture letting loose but the new cabinets should go in this week and it will get measured for granite.

Weather really slowed us down on the exterior on this and the cabinet maker slowed us down on the interior.

What type of ceiling finish is it
    I’m sure once you are finished it’s going to look great
    Nice that they are putting in granite countertops
    I actually like the contrast with the new siding being white ,

The ceiling is a sprayed popcorn. It flaked off again today when we tried to patch the texture. It seems to have a poor bond. We will be scraping the entire ceiling and retexturing I guess. A project for later in the week as the weather will be crappy later in the week.

Ah okay , is it an open concept design , can you just do the kitchen or does it extend farther than the kitchen area
    Are the new cabinets going right to the ceiling or stop short.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We are also remodeling the kitchen on this project. The cabinet maker that the owner picked just finished the cabinets so we demoed the old kitchen a week ago, and then rewired and patched drywall and plaster.

We are having a couple issues with the old ceiling texture letting loose but the new cabinets should go in this week and it will get measured for granite.

Weather really slowed us down on the exterior on this and the cabinet maker slowed us down on the interior.

The ceiling is a sprayed popcorn. It flaked off again today when we tried to patch the texture. It seems to have a poor bond. We will be scraping the entire ceiling and retexturing I guess. A project for later in the week as the weather will be crappy later in the week.

Ah okay , is it an open concept design , can you just do the kitchen or does it extend farther than the kitchen area

We will have to scrape the kitchen, old dining room, living room, steps and hall way. It will be fun to bag everything off and scrape it.

We removed a will between the kitchen and living room to open it up and expanded the kitchen with an island and built in. This took over the old dining area. the new dining area will be the old Living room and the new living room is above the garage.

The new cabinets will go right up to the ceiling.

We will have to scrape the kitchen, old dining room, living room, steps and hall way. It will be fun to bag everything off and scrape it.

We removed a will between the kitchen and living room to open it up and expanded the kitchen with an island and built in. This took over the old dining area. the new dining area will be the old Living room and the new living room is above the garage.

Yeah that’s what I thought , those homes weren’t open concept back then
    Sounds like a big enough job , what will you be using for the removal of the old popcorn ceiling , one of those big round drywall Sanders , apparently they work good
    Will you just skim coat it after , or redo that style of ceiling.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Yeah that’s what I thought , those homes weren’t open concept back then
    Sounds like a big enough job , what will you be using for the removal of the old popcorn ceiling , one of those big round drywall Sanders , apparently they work good
    Will you just skim coat it after , or redo that style of ceiling.

We will use a Hudson sprayer and a drywall knife. This type of ceiling will scrape off easily with a misting from a sprayer wipe off. We will retexture the whole ceiling with a knockdown texture. With careful scraping, the ceiling should not require any patching or minimal at least. Something we can take care of with some 45 or 90 minute compound and have it done in a day.

It helps that this area will receive all new floors so we don’t have to be as careful with that. the carpet is out already.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Sounds like a fun job, I hope the popcorn wasn’t hiding a very bad ceiling and it doesn’t need too much work to get it ready for texture.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It helps that this area will receive all new floors so we don’t have to be as careful with that. the carpet is out already.

Thats a big plus right there to save some time.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.375 seconds