dcsimg

Addition over Garage

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I took a photo of the Gable end with the false gable

What give the lower gable roof Strength,, what keeps it from blowing away?

I was kinda wondering that too but I’m not a professional framer by any means. If I was maybe tackling that, a 2×8 or a 2×10 knotched out to a 2×4 for the part protruding to the exterior fastened to the framing studs inside maybe? Or is that it doesn’t even need anything beyong just a 2×4 as it really won’t carry much of a load anyways even in heavy snows.

We have built the false gables like that forever and never had issues. With the 2 x along the wall fastened well and the sheeting fastened to it and everything else fit well, you can stand on it and it is solid. Our snow load is 40 PSF, so that is not really a lot to hold since it is only a foot wide.

In some remodels we have done, I have seen porches hang on houses buy the roof sheeting and the connection to the wall. In one particular case, the porch roof extended out 8′ from the house and the posts had settled so much, over time, that you could put your hand between the top of the post and the beam that was supposed to sit on the post. I was amazed that it sat there without issue, for years I would guess. there were a lot of things wrong on that job, two few posts on the porch, no frost cover, to small of footings, to small of posts and I could go on. It amazes me as to what we find sometimes.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The drywall is done and ready for paint and trim

Looks like a pretty decent sized room ,

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Looking nice, always looks nice once the drywall in in. What kind of flooring will go down?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Looking nice, always looks nice once the drywall in in. What kind of flooring will go down?

I believe that area will be carpet. The room is 22 x 26 , so it will make a nice sized new family room

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

And really looking nice too. Nice work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We started siding since the weather is warming up

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looks to be coming along nicely. That is a lot of new space for the HO.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looks good , is this nearing completion , is the exterior trim and siding the only thing left to finish

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We are also remodeling the kitchen on this project. The cabinet maker that the owner picked just finished the cabinets so we demoed the old kitchen a week ago, and then rewired and patched drywall and plaster.

We are having a couple issues with the old ceiling texture letting loose but the new cabinets should go in this week and it will get measured for granite.

Weather really slowed us down on the exterior on this and the cabinet maker slowed us down on the interior.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

It looks really nice. I am sure you are happy for the warmer weather.

Weather really slowed us down on the exterior on this and the cabinet maker slowed us down on the interior.

This has to be really frustrating things happen you have no control over.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

It looks really nice. I am sure you are happy for the warmer weather.

This has to be really frustrating things happen you have no control over.

Yes it is, that is whi I like to use my subs. we work with them a lot and they take care of us. If we need something by a certain date, they typically do it. We would have had the kitchen done a long time ago.

Another question, what are the thoughts of the white shakes on the addition. the owner thinks it is to bold with being white but a lot of people actually like it. they are thinking of changing to yellow, but since the house siding is old and faded, we will not get a exact match.

Any thoughts. I don’t mind the color or boildness.

Doobie

Another question, what are the thoughts of the white shakes on the addition. the owner thinks it is to bold with being white but a lot of people actually like it. they are thinking of changing to yellow, but since the house siding is old and faded, we will not get a exact match.

The white looks fine. Just as you say, matching the yellow might be an eyesore of sorts

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Another question, what are the thoughts of the white shakes on the addition.

Are you talking about the siding? I see the lap is bigger. It looks to be a different siding than the old house has.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Another question, what are the thoughts of the white shakes on the addition.

Are you talking about the siding? I see the lap is bigger. It looks to be a different siding than the old house has.

It is actually a panelized shake siding on the area above the garage. It has about an 8″ exposure, the house id a double 4 steel siding.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Any thoughts. I don’t mind the color or boildness.

It looks good to me. I think it is nice to give it a different look.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Hope the HO understands the delay especially being without a kitchen for a week.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We did not tear out the old kitchen till the new was ready, but then we had to remove walls and repair plaster. They understood this up front that they would not have a kitchen for a period of time. we do our best to minimize it.

This one is being difficult as when we texture the ceiling patches the adjacent texture is so loose, it wants to come down with the least little amount of moisture applied. We are making one last try today before we end up scraping and retexturing the whole ceiling.

We are also remodeling the kitchen on this project. The cabinet maker that the owner picked just finished the cabinets so we demoed the old kitchen a week ago, and then rewired and patched drywall and plaster.

We are having a couple issues with the old ceiling texture letting loose but the new cabinets should go in this week and it will get measured for granite.

What type of ceiling finish is it
    I’m sure once you are finished it’s going to look great
    Nice that they are putting in granite countertops
    I actually like the contrast with the new siding being white ,

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

What type of ceiling finish is it
    I’m sure once you are finished it’s going to look great
    Nice that they are putting in granite countertops
    I actually like the contrast with the new siding being white ,

The ceiling is a sprayed popcorn. It flaked off again today when we tried to patch the texture. It seems to have a poor bond. We will be scraping the entire ceiling and retexturing I guess. A project for later in the week as the weather will be crappy later in the week.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.610 seconds