dcsimg

Addition over Garage

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

This week we started an addition over a garage. Thursday we took the roof off.

We used the forklift to peel the sheeting off the trusses then lifted the trusses up and cut them up and loaded them in the truck to go to the dump.

A little hand work at the end to clean up the top plates and along the existing house.

Attachments:
    Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Is that your blue truss jib there on the right? We have a homemade one that is very similar and also blue. Using the lift for demo is awesome. Makes a difficult job somewhat fun and easy.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We used the forklift to peel the sheeting off the trusses then lifted the trusses up and cut them up and loaded them in the truck to go to the dump.

Did they use any metal on the trusses in that area?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Did they use any metal on the trusses in that area?

no clips, just standard truss plated. Only 4 toenails on each truss, no Hurricane clips, so they popped fairly easily with a little help from a bar. Filled my two dump trucks with debris. It was a whopping 80 bucks to get them both dumped at the landfill. They give us a good rate on demolition waste instead of solid waste if the load does not have any paper or plastic in it.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Looks like a great project – keep the pictures coming

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

This week we started an addition over a garage.

What’s the intended use for the new addition Kurt?

Filled my two dump trucks with debris. It was a whopping 80 bucks to get them both dumped at the landfill. They give us a good rate on demolition waste instead of solid waste if the load does not have any paper or plastic in it

We don’t have a special rate for just construction waste, other than for shingles only. I’m just noticing our rates went up since the last time I looked too.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

This week we started an addition over a garage.

What’s the intended use for the new addition Kurt?

Filled my two dump trucks with debris. It was a whopping 80 bucks to get them both dumped at the landfill. They give us a good rate on demolition waste instead of solid waste if the load does not have any paper or plastic in it

We don’t have a special rate for just construction waste, other than for shingles only. I’m just noticing our rates went up since the last time I looked too.

They are using it for a new family room, the existing will become a dining room and we will be remodeling the kitchen also.

We pay about $65 per ton (Imperial) for regular trash (anything with paper, plastic, cardboard, carpet or new drywall) and about $25 a ton for demolition as long as it is free of the above items.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We usually get a roll off 10 or 20 yard can on the site for 5 or 6 hundred depending on where the site is and who’s can it is.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have a couple of full size dump trucks and a dump trailer. We try to haul our own trash when we can, it saves a lot on trash removal fees on projects. some projects we do use dumpsters however.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

we got the frame up and the addition ready for the roof. more misc framing to do, but we will at least have it under cover.

Attachments:
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

we got the frame up and the addition ready for the roof. more misc framing to do, but we will at least have it under cover.

Will it have a shingle roof or steel? In our area we see fewer and fewer shingle reroofs. New construction is primarily shingle still.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Will it have a shingle roof or steel? In our area we see fewer and fewer shingle reroofs. New construction is primarily shingle still.

Shingle roof, the owner is no willing to pay for steel.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Looks good! Did you have to do anything for that garage door header? I see the shear and tyvek is on. Trusses I assume.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Looks good! Did you have to do anything for that garage door header? I see the shear and tyvek is on. Trusses I assume.

The garage header was the trickiest part. The original header was way undersized to begin with. I calculated a header with both the floor and roof loads on it an it got really big as well as my point loads on each side of the door. I ended up spanning the floor side to side so I could take that load off of the door header but I still ended up with a 3 or 4 ply header if I kept it to a 11 7/8 LVL I could get it down to a two ply if I went to a 16″ LVL. The floor trusses were 18″ so in the end I ordered 2 – 26′ 18″ LVL’s and used them over the entire wall in place of a truss end panel. Other than them being heavy, it worked well and spreads the load out well.

By doing it this way, I basically have the same loads on the sides of the door and the foundation around the door as I did originally. Had I used the area over the door for the bearing point of the floor also, I would have had to do additional foundation work. Going side to side with the floor trusses, we only added 2″ to the structure height as the span was 4′ greater.

Doobie

I wanna see before and after on the stair work if you are able and have the time Kurt. Any hard to deal issues with integrating them?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I will do my best to get some photo’s. There will only be a 1/2 flight of stairs from the old main floor to the new upper level. It will take a little headroom in the garage, but it works. We have a plan we call a bonus room split with a room over the garage. The stairs are a similar configuration to that. we have built that plan a half dozen times.

here is a link to that thread https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/bonus-room-split/

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

It’s coming along – how much sq ft is the addition?

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

It’s coming along – how much sq ft is the addition?

The addition is 22 x 26 or 572 SF. We just matched the garage size. They will also get a kitchen remodel.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Got the framing complete yesterday and had the roofers there today to install shingles and re-roof the house.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Got the framing complete yesterday and had the roofers there today to install shingles and re-roof the house.

It’s looking great!! It’s nice it’s all getting a new roof. I like the eyebrow roof over the garage.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.511 seconds