dcsimg

Adding frost-protected shallow footings to existing slab

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Arzie 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Arzie
    Pro

Hello eveyone,

Does anyone have experience with adding frost protected shallow footings under an existing slab? Existing garage is 24×22. Need frost footings in order to attach to the house.

Reason for this method- very narrow lot so extensive excavation would be very difficult.
    To narrow of a lot to move the garage and pour footings and blocks.

I live in east central MN so regular frost footings would need to be 48″ deep.
    The local building official isn’t very well versed in Frost-protected shallow footings so I’m trying to gather as much information as possible.

Thank you!

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would have to agree that the local official in not well versed in shallow frost protected foundations, as they are not allowed under a garage in Minnesota per the building code.

Section R403.3 of the 2015 Minnesota state building code: . . . . . Foundations protected from frost in accordance with figure R403.3(1) and table R403.1(1) shall not be used for unheated spaces such as porches, utility rooms, garages and carports, and shall not be attached to basements or crawl spaces that are not maintained at a mean temperature of 64 degrees Fahrenheit.

Sorry to bear bad news.

Arzie
    Pro

Thanks Kurt!

I suppose I should have mentioned that it is a heated garage. Kind of a bit of important info. I forgot to mention oops

I’ll keep everyone posted if I figure any out!

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Even Heated, they still except them as there is no assurance it will be kept above 64 degrees permanently. While you may, the next owner may not and that is where the issue comes in.

Arzie
    Pro

That makes sense. Thanks Kurt

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

no problem, another Minnesotan here. I tried it and was not able to get it through in our area a while back, Or was told it was extremely difficult and expensive.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

Just trying to stir a bit of conversation here….would it be allowable to place a grade beam around the perimeter, under the slab, and then tie that to helical piers?

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

Arzie
    Pro

Interesting thought. I’ll have to look a little further into that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.332 seconds