dcsimg

adding a bathroom to a basement

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

Hey guys looking for some opinions here. I already have a working toilet installed in my basement. I am hoping to make it a full bathroom with a stand up shower. Here is my question. Have you guys ever installed and used one of these systems?
    Is it worth the money or cheaper just to plumb everything in normally with the toilet already being there?

http://www.saniflostore.com/Saniflo-Turboflush-M300-Elongated-Kit-M300ELONG.htm

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I have not personally used this system but I just get weary of it failing or getting clogged. If you are able to tie into the stack I think you are better off. I am not sure your exact setup so its really hard to say.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would say you’re better off waking up the floor and plumbing everything in normally since you already have the plumbing under the floor. that system is much more of a retrofit and I would only use it if absolutely necessary. I think people would be suspicious on a refill with a system like that also.

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

I have not personally used this system but I just get weary of it failing or getting clogged. If you are able to tie into the stack I think you are better off. I am not sure your exact setup so its really hard to say.

Not really worried about a clogging issue..these actually have blades to chop up your offerings in the toilet. Which normal toilets dont have.

I would say you’re better off waking up the floor and plumbing everything in normally since you already have the plumbing under the floor. that system is much more of a retrofit and I would only use it if absolutely necessary. I think people would be suspicious on a refill with a system like that also.

Thanks for the advice Kurt. I really dont want to disturb the floor if I can help it but I may just have to.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I fear what would happen if the pump fails. Do you immediately get a backup or flood? If you don’t have a floor in your basement I guess its not a huge concern but something to be cognoscente of.

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

you are right in your concerns…it still connects to the stack just above the cement…I would never mount it so it actually had to fight gravity to pump out the waste. just connect the discharge pipe as close to the floor on the stack as I can. But I am leaning on busting up the concrete floor and doing it right.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

redwood
    Pro

So where is your waste line Jim. If you don’t need to pump the waste up, you can use standard fixtures.

In my old house, we had our washer in the basement and had a small pump that pushed everything up, with something like a antisiphon valve that prevented waste from coming back to the washer.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

Mark I was hoping you would chime in here.

I added two pictures of what I am currently dealing with.. the stack to the left of the toilet and some other pipe to the right that I am not exactly sure what it is there for. Plumbing is not my strong area and I am starting to think this is a job for me to hire someone for.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

Attachments:
    redwood
    Pro

Well the good news is that your main waste line must be under the basement. The bad news is that you will need to cut out some concrete.

I’m no plumber, but you might need someone to come out and locate where the lines go before you cut the concrete. Though my guess is it runs parallel with wall. It looks like cast iron pipe. Personally, I would cut out the concrete and let a plumber take it from there.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

Thanks mark. I have a buddy who is a plumber/ slash HVAC tech coming to help me install the furnace soon. I think i will ask him for some free advice when he is here 🙂

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

FLAUER
    Pro
    MENOMONEE FALLS, WI

Jim, I rented an apartment that added a tub/shower in the basement. They avoided having to bust up concrete by building it above the floor. Definitely a cheaper way of doing it. Unfortunately, they neglected to build up a step. It was a long ways down stepping out of that shower!

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

I bet it was! I have considered that but I want to do it right. I live in a tiny house with one bathroom and by adding a second bathroom in the basement and another finished spot as a second living room I think i can really make the value of the home go up or at least have a good selling point. with that being said, I think I am going to go the expensive route and do everything the right way 🙂

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING

I am looking at installing bathroom in the basement of our new house. There is sewer lines going into the concrete floor. The drain line is not to far from where we want to put the bathroom. Just not sure which direction they go. If I have to I will hired a Plumber to rough in the sewer line I will. I was just wonder if there is a way I locate the sewer line myself. This project might happen right way. Any advice will be a big help.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

…I was just wonder if there is a way I locate the sewer line myself….

Rent one of these….

OLD THREAD WARNING

I am looking at installing bathroom in the basement of our new house. There is sewer lines going into the concrete floor. The drain line is not to far from where we want to put the bathroom. Just not sure which direction they go. If I have to I will hired a Plumber to rough in the sewer line I will. I was just wonder if there is a way I locate the sewer line myself. This project might happen right way. Any advice will be a big help.

To bad your far away from me , I could send my friend Joe , he’s incredible , he’s a plumber , and it’s amazing how he knows exactly where the line would be going , that is why sometimes hiring a pro for things like that is a good idea ,

Most plumbers know what the code is , and they know where the drain lines run.

Good luck with that Greg.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

…I was just wonder if there is a way I locate the sewer line myself….

Rent one of these….

<figure class=”oe-video-container”>

<iframe title=”The EASIEST way to find your Drain Line Under Basement Floor Slab” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/qGN5y_-QMZc?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=”” name=”fitvid0″></iframe>

</figure>

Yeah I will have to look into.

To bad your far away from me , I could send my friend Joe , he’s incredible , he’s a plumber , and it’s amazing how he knows exactly where the line would be going , that is why sometimes hiring a pro for things like that is a good idea ,

Most plumbers know what the code is , and they know where the drain lines run.

Good luck with that Greg.

I will likely hire a plumber. But I will what I can to save a few dollars. It is project I won’t be starting till after we get settled in.

Greg

OLD THREAD WARNING

Your going to have open the slab either way . You can open up where you putting new drain lines . You could find the direction and connect to it if you come across it save some money from the demo at least .

Always willing to learn .

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING

Your going to have open the slab either way . You can open up where you putting new drain lines . You could find the direction and connect to it if you come across it save some money from the demo at least .

I do realize I have to open up the slab. I need to find out what direction the drain lines run so I can open up the slab. I have no problem hiring a plumber to do the locate and run the drain lines. I would like to save some money by doing some of the work myself.

Greg

OLD THREAD WARNING

I do realize I have to open up the slab. I need to find out what direction the drain lines run so I can open up the slab. I have no problem hiring a plumber to do the locate and run the drain lines. I would like to save some money by doing some of the work myself.

Are you putting in a full bath . Save some money if you start the prep work for the new drain and if you find the direction of the line it’s a score during the dig . Look forward to hearing how it turns out .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie

OLD THREAD WARNING

That’s what I was gonna do myself. I know generally where the drain would go and just figured I would pound out the concrete til I got it.

But in Greg’s case, does he know which gemeral direction the drain goes?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.321 seconds