dcsimg

Acme Tool

This topic contains 101 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Sprokitz 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 102 total)
  • Author

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

No not Wile E. Coyotes favorite supplier. This one has lots of good stuff. I haven’t dealt with them and I am not sure how their prices are. I did however get their catalog today in the mail though. 91 pages of tools. Yes I said 91 pages of tools. All kinds, all brands. It reminded me of the Christmas Catalogs Sears and Penney’s put out. Anybody dealt with them?

kzcarp
    Pro

I got one too. I showed it to my wife and said it was my Christmas Wishbook. 🙂
    They have been around for quite a while. They used to do mail-order business as Tool Crib of the North. Amazon bought their mail order operation as it’s start into tools, like 15 years ago. They did have a non-compete agreement but that must have expired a few years ago.

I haven’t purchased anything from Acme, but when they were tool crib they were solid.

kevin

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

I’ve never heard of these guys before. Just checked out their website and it looks like they have almost everything. I see that they only have stores in MN, Iowa and North Dakota. Also requested a catalog. Keep us updated if you buy anything from them

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Jim,
    I think the question is not if I order but What I order.

I just showed my wife the catalog she gave me that long suffering smile and just shook her head.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Acme has a store in one of the Minneapolis suburbs and several throught Minnesota, Iowa and North Dakota. They are owned by Acme Electric. Back in the 90’s they were called Tool Crib of the North. They had a good catalog business and Amazon boutht them. They became the tools part of Amazon. A few years ago the non compete with Amazon ran out and Acme Electric opened reteil stores and a catalog operation under the Acme Name. I buy quite a bit of tools there. they Have a real nice big showroom and lots of tools to fondle. Their prices are not to bad. you will always find something cheaper online if you look hard enough. Online I think they will match prices.

I recently purchased a Makita track saw there. Their regular price was about 20 or 30 bucks higher than online but they had a Makita promotion going on and I was able to get it at 10% off which made it a few bucks cheaper than I could get it online.

As a business, I have to pay sales or use tax on anything I get online so the sales tax does not matter, I pay it either way.

the long and the short of it, they are a very reputable organization that I keep going back to.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Thanks for the detailed anaylysis Kurt.

In OK you have to pay use tax on eveything you buy business or personal. Only sorta loophole is you can pay it as a standard percentage of income or keep records and pay the actual amount.

redwood
    Pro

Yes, Tool Crib of the North was my main online supplier of tools, back before they were bought out by Amazon. They had a great catalog that came pretty frequently.

I have checked their pricing since they reopened as Acme and they are decent, but as mentioned, you can get better pricing elswhere.

They had such a cool name back then and now they are Acme. They need to do better then that.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

way back when they were tool crib my wife ordered something for me and had it sent to her work. when she told the receiving people to watch for a package from the tool crib, that it was a present for her husband and to bring it to her without opening, their minds were everywhere but on power tools.

These folks are great. Big selection of stuff and they get it to you quick. I have only ordered via the internet. One of their stores has not been along the way in my travels so I have not been there to check things out. Someday and it should be a fun spot to stop.

It seems like I have ordered from them in the past and I think everything went OK with the transaction.

Orange County, CA

I would agree with Kurt – it is a solid tool store (and I am glad to be relatively close to one)… but honestly their prices are often higher than even HD (who amazon normally beats, obviously). It is great, however, to have top notch tools all in one spot and centrally located so you can grab and go. And like Kurt said – it is always fun to go and get your hands on different things other big box stores don’t typically carry.

John S

I wish there were more all tool stores around, but I do not think that they make a ton of money or it is difficult to make it work. The ones that used to be around me are no more. I have to order most things online based on reviews and feedback from forums such as this one.

Orange County, CA

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

Wish there was one of these stores closer to me. Would love to check it out

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

I will say my small disclaimer of a bad experience I had in the store. They say they price match, but the don’t price match amazon (but HD, Lowe’s, etc are fair game)… and when I tried to do that, they gave me a particularly hard time about it. Even more, a week later the tool went on sale for another $25 cheaper than what I bought it for because of a holiday sale… I don’t get why they would hassle me so much over a price change…. Left a bad taste in my mouth for sure – as if I were a bad guy trying to give them my business.

John S

Other sidenote: From my limited experience, I think they treat their customers who do large $$s of purchasing from Acme very well (or at least, the guys they know by name they treat quite well), whereas the small guys are just that…

John S

Well, I must say that stopping by Acme is always a treat for the inner toolaholic. Boy, they have quite the store…

Festool, Bosch, Milwaukee, all sorts of miter saws, powermatic, Jet, sawstop, all sorts of nailers, all sorts of huge air compressors…. pretty much ridiculous.

John S

redwood
    Pro

Dang, they do have a nice store.

I know there were some comparative pricing mentioned above, I just wanted to say I just had to replace my blower and a chainsaw. HD beat out Amazon on both by a decent margin.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Great pics, John! Looks like a great store to go visit and spend some money!

Resident Sign Guy

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Nice pictures! Makes me want to spend money lol.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I need to stop I and look at lasers. Ultimately that will lead to looking at a lot of other things. It is always fu. To wander there and look at the new items, they always have something new.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.777 seconds