dcsimg

Access Panel or replaster?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Hi folks,

A couple weeks ago I noticed some wet spots on the ceiling above our finished basement. There is no plumbing fixture directly above it, and it was right in the middle of the house so I knew it wasn’t rain water. I cut open a hole in the drywall and found a puncture fitting (not sure if that’s the correct term), like what was often used for fridge water lines, that had started to leak. Who put it there? Why? These are things I’ll never know.

I had a plumber come and remove the fixture. He used compression fittings to install a new section of pipe where the old fitting had been. My question is, now I am looking to close up the ceiling again. Can I use drywall and plaster to reseal the pipe into the ceiling or am I better off installing an access panel? My worry is that someday the compression fittings will leak and I’ll need to open it up again. Thanks!

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Hi folks,

A couple weeks ago I noticed some wet spots on the ceiling above our finished basement. There is no plumbing fixture directly above it, and it was right in the middle of the house so I knew it wasn’t rain water. I cut open a hole in the drywall and found a puncture fitting (not sure if that’s the correct term), like what was often used for fridge water lines, that had started to leak. Who put it there? Why? These are things I’ll never know.

I had a plumber come and remove the fixture. He used compression fittings to install a new section of pipe where the old fitting had been. My question is, now I am looking to close up the ceiling again. Can I use drywall and plaster to reseal the pipe into the ceiling or am I better off installing an access panel? My worry is that someday the compression fittings will leak and I’ll need to open it up again. Thanks!

We had a new water heater installed a few weeks ago, the crew used the same compression fitting as I see in your home.
    I hadn’t seen them before and was asking about expected life and leaks and so on. I was told that they are at least as good as a soldered connection and probably better.
    Based on that, I wouldn’t hesitate to repair with drywall and plaster.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

That’s a ProPress fitting.

Did the plumber say why the original fitting was leaking? Was the leak on the actual fitting or between the pipe and fitting? Was it a pin hole on the metal?

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

The fitting that was removed is a saddle fitting. It actually punctures a little hole into the pipe.

The new fittings are ProPress, they are just as good as soldered fittings.

You have dozens and dozens of fittings all over the place in your walls and ceilings. The chances of the one just replaced leaking before any of the others is non existent.

That doesn’t look like plaster to me. It looks like regular 5/8″ drywall. Won’t be too hard to patch that, especially if you saved the piece that got cut out.

You can get a can of spray texture from a lumber yard. It’s pricey, but perfect for little patches.

Goin' Down In Flames........

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Those are great fittings , we have been using them for a few years now , great fittings , don’t worry about it leaking ,
    Most probably will leak elsewhere LoL

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Okay thanks fellas for the replies.

Saddle fitting is correct. Thanks for the vocab! That was the point of malfunction.

The fitting that was removed is a saddle fitting. It actually punctures a little hole into the pipe.

The new fittings are ProPress, they are just as good as soldered fittings.

You have dozens and dozens of fittings all over the place in your walls and ceilings. The chances of the one just replaced leaking before any of the others is non existent.

Right I do know how effective solder connections are. Just hadn’t seen the new tech yet I guess. And you’re right, it is drywall. I’ll patch it up easy peasy. Thanks again all!!

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Those pro press fittings , if they leak it’s usually right after you installed them
    Either the copper wasn’t de burred properly and put a slice in the o ring or wasn’t crimped correctly , or when you pushed it on to the pipe the o ring wasn’t seated properly
    But that’s just from my experience
    Looking forward to hearing what you decided to do about this.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.306 seconds