dcsimg

A Winter Custom

This topic contains 98 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  JimDaddyO 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 99 total)
  • Author

Follow me on this not so fun start to a custom home.

It has been a struggle to get this thing moving thanks to the weather.

Finally getting some wall’s built after discovering the footings were over 1 1/2 out of level all over the place.

Finally got the wall’s up and beam’s set. Time to get the floor joist over and start rolling.

Floor sheeting and time for Christmas break. Which i am currently on.

Welcome back joe we missed the bearded wonder . How did you set the wall heights . You have a special method .

Always willing to learn .

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I’ve done a good bit of winter framing in Ohio….I could just imagine framing in a Canadian winter.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

Welcome back joe we missed the bearded wonder . How did you set the wall heights . You have a special method .

Hey buddy thanks lol. Well they were sooooo bad we had to shoot them all at there different heights. No shimming. I shoot ever 4th layout and cut them with the use of a rotary laser. Nail top plates on and scribe the in-between studs.

I’ve done a good bit of winter framing in Ohio….I could just imagine framing in a Canadian winter.

It is a eye opening experience that is for sure lol

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Finally getting some wall’s built after discovering the footings were over 1 1/2 out of level all over the place.

Is that about normal in your neck of the woods?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Wow with all that snow and stuff in the way looks like a lot of work before you can get to work.

Hey buddy thanks lol. Well they were sooooo bad we had to shoot them all at there different heights. No shimming. I shoot ever 4th layout and cut them with the use of a rotary laser. Nail top plates on and scribe the in-between studs.

Gosh arnt lasers handy. It would probably take 3 times longer with out one to get things level

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

nice shots joe

#canadiancarpentershavethebeard

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

<a href=”https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/a-winter-custom/#post-600473″ rel=”nofollow”
    target=”_blank”>JoeCanning wrote:

Is that about normal in your neck of the woods?

Randy yeah every winter. We aren’t even into the worst of it yet.

Wow with all that snow and stuff in the way looks like a lot of work before you can get to work.

Gosh arnt lasers handy. It would probably take 3 times longer with out one to get things level

It definitely discouraging when you show up but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get out of the basement. Lasers are essential tool for a framer now a days. I feel if ya don’t have one, you are doing it wrong.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How do you go about making your wall right with the foundation that way? I have put down the sill plate and shimmed at each layout to get a level starting place.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Follow me on this not so fun start to a custom home.

Certain;y does not look like fun.
    Will be following..

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Interesting to see this, we ave one we will be starting in Minnesota in a couple of weeks. Not a Canadian winter but about as close as you can get in the states.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

How do you go about making your wall right with the foundation that way? I have put down the sill plate and shimmed at each layout to get a level starting place.

I saw a guy lay plates tight then chisel out or electric plane the joist locations rather than shim. A solid method but time……..omg

When I looked at the first couple of pictures I smiled and said to myself thats what its all about right there. A few guys cold weather thinking out a build and making it come together.

I miss working with a couple of guys………then I thought its not the cold its the dam wind that kills the motivation and fuels tempers.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I don’t miss working in the cold. The first house I ever helped build was in the dead of winter. I was young and able , I could never do it now.
    Looks like a very big house your building.

As much time shovelling as putting in nails. I do not envy having to work around the conditions you are.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.622 seconds