dcsimg

A tip: Viewing laser outside in sunlight

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I am working on a cedar shingle siding project right now and needed to run course marks around the house so we end up in the same spot when we get there.

Those who have used a laser outside know how impossible it is to see it, especially in sunlight. A friend of mine has a nice little tool with his laser, but not me. I have nothing. So, what is a man supposed to do? I will tell you!

A very simple piece of flashing!

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

right on, simple coil stock kent perfect. what about the cool red lense sunglasses

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Are the red sunglasses gimmicks Jeff, or do they really work? I have always been skeptical…

John S

redwood
    Pro

The man is supposed to go out and buy a receiver for his laser, if it did not come with one.

Most are universal, but a few are not.

How far away can you see the line on coil stock?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

I don’t trust the accuracy on the receivers. I swear I can move one of those 1/4″ and it still makes the sound that I’m dead on.

That line was taken from about 30′ away. I’d say 50′ or so. High intensity direct sunlight is always going to be tough though. This is just in case you forget your receiver lol

woodman_412

Thanks for the tip Kent, I’ll keep that in mind. What are you using for a laser?

Dan

danpattison.com

I have used some of Hilti’s different lasers and was always impressed with their accuracy and distance….

Anyone able to tell me if those laser glasses really help?

John S

redwood
    Pro

Those glasses work very poorly out doors. Yes, they are better then the naked eye, but not enough to replace a receiver.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I know that when I use mine inside, I often have to use my finger to get a good mark.

RLConstruction
    Pro
    Crystal, MN

What laser would you guys recommend? I am looking into getting a good, all around, self-leveling, laser.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Ben,
    What do you want to do with it? That makes a difference in whether you need a three dot or a cross laser. I really like the Bosch’s but I ended up with a Skil because I didn’t have enough $$ to get the Bosch. It is pretty good but seems a little weakly built. I just watch out for it and it seems to be holding up. I also have a Kobalt line generator that is not self leveling but it comes in handy.

I have a Robo Laser. Self leveling. It’s a wireless rotating laser. Works well for establishing level references around a room.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

If you ho for the dot, get the 5 dot, very handy for leveling and squaring.

I would echo Kurt in that if you do not get a rotating laser, at least get a 5 dot laser….

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Kent that flashing is brilliant
    I’ve been using the PLS180 and I seem to like it I also have the catcher with it because I have to

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.448 seconds