dcsimg

A simple and beautiful finish

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I have seen variations of this finish all over so I decided to give it a shot. Not for hard wearing surfaces, but it is very easy and the results are wonderful. I don’t think the ratios are overly critical. If you replace the BLO with mineral oil, it is food safe. I think I may have found my “go to” finish.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That’s a winner, Jim.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

Looks good.
    I went with mineral oil on almost everything years ago for looks and simplicity.
    I’ll have to give this a shot.
    Where do you get your beeswax?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Looks good.
    I went with mineral oil on almost everything years ago for looks and simplicity.

Phil, I get mine from a local honey producer but online stores that supply candle makers will be able to hook you up. It usually goes for 6 – 8 bucks a pound.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Looks good.

I got mine at a health food place. I am going to look into some local apiaries when I need more.

woodman_412

Looks like a nice finish Jim. Thanks for sharing the video. One of my favorite finishes is the Tried and True Varnish oil which is a mix of linseed oil and natural varnish resins. The natural finishes are much nicer to work with.

Dan

danpattison.com

lulu
    Pro

I’ve been using beeswax for years. I love the way it looks. it also great for bringing life back to old furniture.

Trifles make perfection, but perfection is no trifle.
    Michael Angelo

My favorite too

Beeswax is pretty cheap on amazon, sold in little beads that dissolve easily

@JimDaddyO, do you coat more than once? Do you follow up with a furniture paste was and buff it up? Thanks for the video by the way. You do a nice job.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

@JimDaddyO, do you coat more than once? Do you follow up with a furniture paste was and buff it up? Thanks for the video by the way. You do a nice job.

yes, when it cooled and hazed a bit I added more. I put on 3 coats. It has been sitting for a few days now and I will give it a light rub with a rag. I may add a coat of furniture wax to it, depending on how it looks. It feels nice too.

yellaD
    Pro

That’s a great video on how to use bee’s wax. I will use this finish with mineral oil for surfaces that touch food.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Another great informative video JDO. The finish looks great.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

ThanX for the video Jim.
    I’m going to check with a local who sells honey and see if they deal with wax also.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JDO Thank you for posting the video. Very nice look on the finish.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

ThanX for the video Jim.
    I’m going to check with a local who sells honey and see if they deal with wax also.

if you are talking about the guy who lives a few streets away, I believe he makes beeswax candles. The last time I went he had a bunch.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

ThanX for the video Jim.

if you are talking about the guy who lives a few streets away, I believe he makes beeswax candles. The last time I went he had a bunch.

@r-ice,
    Yea that’s the guy.
    Good to know he also deals in bees wax.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I use Mineral oil and Bees wax on the salad spoons I make. I hit the wood with a heat gun and the oil just sucks in.

I will try the BLO.

Bet the smell is great !

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Nice finish, Jim. I also like the way beeswax works on wood finishes.

@Lakelover
    , that’s a nice idea, using the heat gun!

Pat

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.485 seconds