dcsimg

A.O Smith filtration systems

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Skillman 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Does anyone on here use or have used the filter system for drinking water for your home . I got some to try out at my house . The under the sink system is reverse osmosis so it should really help . We are on well water . My biggest problem is I need to drill another hole in my granite counter top since we only have one for the kitchen faucet . Only reason it’s been sitting in my garage floor .

Always willing to learn .

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Does anyone on here use or have used the filter system for drinking water for your home . I got some to try out at my house . The under the sink system is reverse osmosis so it should really help . We are on well water . My biggest problem is I need to drill another hole in my granite counter top since we only have one for the kitchen faucet . Only reason it’s been sitting in my garage floor .

No we don’t have well water , I use the 18 liter bottles of water in the water cooler
    Plus our water comes from the water filtration system in our town
    I assume that if you drill a hole in the granite countertops it’s going to be permanent and require filter changes.
    How often would you need to change the filter. And are they expensive. Is there other options ,

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

What is it about your water that you need to change? Does it need to be purified? High hardness? Sulphur? Sediment? Iron? An RO system will have prefilters to remove sediment and an activated charcoal post filter for taste. The RO membrane will take out virtually all the pathogens and the minerals leaving water that is close to distilled.

You will need to have another hole in the countertop for the RO tap if you go that route.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I install a lot of water filters, mostly canister style, both residential and commercial.

A.O. Smith is fine, so is American Plumber.

It depends on what you’re trying to remove.

If you have high iron content, like the vast majority of wells in this country, you’ll destroy an RO system pretty quick.

Doing a test first is the best idea. Hopefully, you have a lab nearby, and just bring a sample to them, and order the well water package.

It’ll test for Iron, Manganese, turbidity, Hardness (as Calcium), a few more I can’t think of at the moment, depending on the area maybe a couple other minerals, and if you’re interested, a Coliform count.

Goin' Down In Flames........

Doobie
    Pro

Basically, what Seven-D suggests, if not already done. Has your well water been tested? And what is the issue? Not every purification system is meant for all potential issues. If you’re near farms, a whole other set of purity issues may be involved especially.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have drinking water faucets in many if my rental apartments. They used to be a feature people like. Nowadays, not so much for several reasons.

One, the water coming out is room temperature, not chilled. Most people, especially if you are in South Florida, prefer chilled water. So they have to walk over to the fridge for some ice. Yes I know, a long 36″ walk in most cases LOL.

Second, many modern refrigerators have the water dispenser built in, the water comes in through the ice maker line. If water and ice are both available at the refrigerator, the one next to the sink will be unused.

No one wants to have to replace the filter for the drinking faucet AND the ice maker.

CB
    Pro

Remember the Instant Hot water dispensers for tea and instant coffee that used to be popular in the 80’s? Not something one would have in a rental, for liability reasons, but I plumbed one into my home, and never use it.

I bought a fancy 3 full size cartridge plus captive air tank RO system for under the sink, and was intending to pipe the output of that into the refrigerator ice maker AND the instant hot water dispenser under the sink, but then got old and crumdgeony, and didn’t like being startled by the noice of the ice maker auger, so I disconnected the ice maker.

I didn’t like the idea of stagnant water, so didn’t use the instant hot. Hence, I never hooked up the RO system, preferring to keep the cabinet space to store kitchen cleaners and the like.

So, I guess I wasted a fair amount of money on stuff I thought I would use. But I have burned through quite a few coffemakers over the years.
    Stopped buying Braun, then stopped buying Krups, and now can’t kill this Cuisinart I’ve been running for the last 5 years. I fill it with store bought steam distilled water… obviating the need for the filtration system.

In other words, no matter how you slice it, I’m still wasting money.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Second, many modern refrigerators have the water dispenser built in, the water comes in through the ice maker line. If water and ice are both available at the refrigerator, the one next to the sink will be unused.

Good point. Best use of the RO is to feed the fridge outlets. Keep in mind never to use copper on RO water. It will destroy copper in a very short time. The lack of minerals in RO water will cause it to actively seek to replace some mineral content. Water does not like to be without mineral content.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Doobie
    Pro

I’ve been a spring water drinker for over 3 decades. We have 4 coolers in our house for those big bottles. It just simply tastes better than municipal chlorinated tap water.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Good point. Best use of the RO is to feed the fridge outlets. Keep in mind never to use copper on RO water. It will destroy copper in a very short time. The lack of minerals in RO water will cause it to actively seek to replace some mineral content. Water does not like to be without mineral content.

Good info , I never thought of that
    Makes sense.

Thanks guys for the info . The big worry around here is the nitrate levels . I will let you guys know when I finally get it installed and if I have any problems with the system .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.380 seconds