dcsimg

A New Member to the BTP Staff

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Welcome aboard Jim. Sounds like you know your way around a job site. That should help us all here at BTP.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Hi Pros,

I want to thank you for the warm welcome to the forum. I have been monitoring BeThePro.com for some time and feel like we have an incredible community here of skilled tradespeople who are creative, dedicated and above all professionals. My goal is to learn from this community and provide opportunities that help all of our members learn more, win more and in general be more successful in their business. After all it is BeThePro, so I definitely will be adding functionality and content that aligns with those goals.

While I am new to Bosch in general I am no stranger to professional contractors. Before I entered the digital marketing arena in 1996 I ran successful residential/commercial painting and remodelling businesses for over 10 years. I have run operations that spanned 18 states and employed more than 400 painters and carpenters. I have also been recognized by the PDCA for the work I did on painted ladies (multi-color Victorian homes) and various Frank Lloyd Wright homes in the Chicago area.

See below for a few examples of the type of projects I worked on residentially. Most of my commercial work was on churches and large condo complexes (working as a contractor to the management assn’s).

After retiring from contracting I have been heavily involved in online marketing for the last 18 years (you remember before there was an Internet in most people’s minds). I have helped companies from Fortune 500 brands to mom and pop local businesses get greater value from using online tactics to market their businesses. I hope that I can provide quite a bit of information for BTP members when it comes to marketing their businesses successfully both online and off. One of my goals is to expand the resources found on the Business Discussion forum.

I am really happy to be here and to serve you as your newest admin team member. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions or needs and I will do my level best to help you out.

Nice to see you have back round in the trades .

Always willing to learn .

redwood
    Pro

I don’t think that there are any professional painters posting on this site, so if you still remember your stuff Jim, I can imagine you will get some questions regarding your former trade.

Here is the first one. Which type of paint is better for trim these days, oil or water based?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Hi Jim,

Welcome! It is great to get more finishing guys contributing on here. That is one area where I could always use some new tips and techniques.

Orange County, CA

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

welcome Jim, looking forward to an additional perspective on the site.

Welcome Jim !! Glad to have you on board. I look forward to having your interaction here. Thanks also to Jenny for your continued help here with questions and issues!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Hey Jim, welcome. Great to see you have expertise in both fields! I’m sure you will be a great help to the BTP community!

A Working Pro since 2004

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Welcome aboard Jim. Nice paint work on the Vics !

The news of the day! Welcome aboard Jim. You bring a lot to the table for sure. Glad to have you.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Glad to see Jenny got some help!

Welcome!

--Steve

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Welcome aboard. Love the old homes. Very nice. Can’t wait to get to know you better.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

we look forward to helping you.

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

I don’t think that there are any professional painters posting on this site, so if you still remember your stuff Jim, I can imagine you will get some questions regarding your former trade.

Here is the first one. Which type of paint is better for trim these days, oil or water based?

Oil based is definitely old school. There are excellent latex paints, but I always looked for acrylic latex if I was after the longest lasting coating. Much of what happens with exterior paint failing is due to poor substrate prep. Always wash surfaces, sand glossy areas and and uneven areas (where old paint “chips”). Then use a really good oil or latex primer. I preferred oil based primers as they penetrate wood better. But if you are looking to paint over existing latex you can always use a latex primer. Anything from Zinzer is usually good. If you have to cover stains try using their shellac based primer.

If you have bare wood, then try going with a high quality acrylic based stain such as Woodscapes from Sherwin Williams (http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/catalog/woodscapes_exterior_acrylic_solid_color_house_stain/).

The issue with oil based paints is they are not flexible. In northern climates the extreme flexibility in temperatures can cause wood to expand and contract making oil brittle and crack.

The real trick is making sure you have a well prepared surface. There is an old painters saying “no amount of great paint can fix bad wood”.

I hope this was helpful.

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Jim

Hope you like the new challenge ahead. I like finishing wood work/painting in general.

Ever have a caddis fly hatch happen as you paint a house ? Some days you should just stay home 🙂

Will look forward to your participation

Brendan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Jim, Thank you for the informative post on paints.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Ever have a caddis fly hatch happen as you paint a house ? Some days you should just stay home

That sounds like being carpet bombed by mother nature.

Great advice on paints Jim. Never heard it explained so well. Thanks for the expertise.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Welcome aboard Jim. It’s great to have a fellow tradesmen here! Funny you should mention Frank Lloyd Wright. My son studies him in architecture school. We Have a FLW home on the big Island the is a vacation rental that rents for 800$ to 1,000 a day.
    http://www.vrbo.com/108255
    Sounds like you made a good move into digital marketing.
    Marketing myself is something I fail at.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We Have a FLW home on the big Island the is a vacation rental that rents for 800$ to 1,000 a day.

That is one nice house in a beautiful setting. FLW did some beautiful house designs. They are always pleasing to the eye.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

@dirtywhiteboy that is a beautiful home! Wow, wow, wow! I would love to see a thread with more of FLW homes and design – it is always interesting stuff!

@bethepro thanks for info on which paint to use with trim… I think even I am able to understand a little bit now 🙂

John S

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

@dirtywhiteboy that is a beautiful home! Wow, wow, wow! I would love to see a thread with more of FLW homes and design – it is always interesting stuff!

i’ll second that – really beautiful home.

Welcome Jim.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.507 seconds