dcsimg

A neat little landscape project to improve curb appeal

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Miamicuse 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

This is a rental property that I want to better the curb appeal, and to experiment with a few ideas.

Here are the pictures of the front yard in it’s original existing state. A narrow concrete walkway in the middle leading to the front door, lawn to the right, and a large patch of bald space to the left where grass don’t grow under the oak tree.

Below is the plan drawing of the area. There is the bigger oak to the left of the walkway, and two palms to the right side, and I want to lay something out to tie all these together and give it some “structure”.

I wanted to create a set of wood borders (inside and outside borders) around the tree to the left. Another pair of borders will be on the right side of the walkway, going north then east, ending in a “FIGURE 8” shape surrounding the two existing palms. On the four corners of the walkway, the borders will be widened to create four planter sections. Like this:

The execution is fairly straight forward, nothing too challenging except for the daily rain delays, and in the middle of it I decided to redo the water line from meter to house LOL.

The borders are to be 4×4 PT lumber secured to the ground with 36″ 3/4″ rebars. In between the two borders where you see the light blue shaded areas are to be medium size river rocks, “flowing” into the figure 8 “pond” with the two palms. The “yellow” shaded areas are to be planted and mulched.

I spent a bit of time staking the outline out, because I know the perimeter where I want to set these borders will have tree roots that I need to deal with, and I want to minimize cutting into that. After some back and forth adjustments, I was able to find the needed elevation to set these borders.

Towards the pair of palms I laid out the figure 8 border with wood edging. Didn’t quite like the look of it though.

So the next day I switched it to half size Chicago bricks.

Then after weed fabric and filling in the river rocks, and adding in four 16X16 concrete blocks as “inside planters”, some plants, here is the final product.

Oh yes, the sprinkler lines and water lines kind of side tracked things for a day.

That looks about a million times better.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

That looks incredible – nice work! I love how you took the time to set the elevation to avoid disturbing your tree’s roots as much as possible. Seems like you thought of everything!

Charlie

Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

looks great, i need to do a bit of that as weeds have taken over the the front yard, the previous owners started with a rock garden and weeds.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Wow, that looks a whole lot better. I really like the contrasting/complementing colours of the borders and the mulch.

Great piece of work there!.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Awesome work, quite a bit of work too I imagine, I expect it will pay off though, well done.

Will

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Big improvement ! Now if you can do something with the green fence across the street.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

That looks incredible – nice work! I love how you took the time to set the elevation to avoid disturbing your tree’s roots as much as possible. Seems like you thought of everything!

I try to do as much planning ahead of time, instead of trying to fight the root with an axe. Still there were two spots I needed to notch out to make room.

Still we ran into the water line (old galvanized) and it’s so badly corroded I decided to trench and put in a new line.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Wow, that looks a whole lot better. I really like the contrasting/complementing colours of the borders and the mulch.

Great piece of work there!.

Thanks! I used a semi transparent stain on the 4X4.

Originally wanted white color river rocks, but the natural colored one was on sale so went with that.

Mulch was just standard eucalyptus mulch.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Big improvement ! Now if you can do something with the green fence across the street.

LOL across the street is another renovation for a pool and city made them put up temp fence during construction. Once done with child proofing the green fence will go away.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Definately unique….. kinda like an obstacle course for mowing and trimming

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Huge difference. Excellent work.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Those 90° corners are going to make for a bunch of trimming.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Those 90° corners are going to make for a bunch of trimming.

LOL yes. Actually there are only 7 corners TOTAL (4 inside corners and 3 outside corners) that meets grass. The rest are butt up to concrete walkway, landing or mulched planted areas.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Since I used 4X4 lumber, I had hope to stay with lumber around the two palms.

I didn’t want a rectangular border though, thought a figure 8 or peanut shape is softer.

However I had a hard time thinking of something that can bend/curve like I need it to.

I tried the half cut wood edging. Didn’t like the look at all.

They have plastic edging that is cheap and easily bent. I didn’t like that either.

I end up with half cut chicago bricks on sale at a local quarry for 10 cents a piece (I bought a large lot some years ago).

Are there other options that may work out better? I won’t change it now but in the future if I come across similar situations sure would like to have a few more ideas.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It looks good. You are not worried about the termites and the lumber on the ground?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Wow, huge difference, much much more curb appeal, great attention to the details, and great work.
    Thanks for the pictures and detailed dwgs,
    Keep it up looks great.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

It looks good. You are not worried about the termites and the lumber on the ground?

I used PT #2 ground contact rated 4X4s.

It won’t last forever.

Termites are everywhere down here, drywood and subterranean. The house has wood fences all around with 4X4 wood post deep into the ground. I am sure there are termites in the surrounding trees. Fortunately we see more of the drywood termite varieties and less of the most aggressive sub termites.

The most common problem with attracting sub termites (in my experience) is actually the air conditioning condensate drink dripping continuously from a pipe that’s only 2″ from the house. The AC is running all the time and that patch of soil is constantly wet.

I have Termidor treatment around the foundation perimeter.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.496 seconds