dcsimg

A Little Shoot Out (*-*)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That’s a very comprehensive list of tools and a very thorough test. Not surprising that Fein did as well as it did but Dremel among the pro tools near the top spots blew me away.

Thanks for sharing.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Thats a great comparison they put together. Very thorough. Anyone in the market for an OMT should definitely take note.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Dirty Thank you for posting the shoot out. Good info here, enjoyed it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Great list, It was nice to see the Bosch cordless that I have in the top 10 and the Fein Multimaster that I also have near the top of the list.

I always thought these were a toy until i saw one used several years ago. they have come a long way since them in blade availability, performance and options form different manufacturers.

We use ours quite regularly for many things and would not be without them. I now have 3, one for each trailer.

Doobie

The tests they don’t do is the ‘run it all day’ and ‘oooops it fell off the roof’ tests. I can attest the Fein units do very well in this category, others I have no experience with.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Blades change I couldn’t care less. I’m not into a competition who changes the blades faster.
    Ergonomics is much, much more important. Used to my cordless 20V Dewalt ( en passant, I need around 3,14 seconds to change a blade) I did the mistake to hold, not use, just hold a $400 cordless Fein. My fire wood is shaped beautifully, with style, compared to that block of ice. No thank you.
    And the blades? At around $15 a piece they are frickingly prohibitive. With 3 blades I’m already into a 24″ K-body Revo Bessey. That I’m supposed to have for years and years not for a job.
    OK, that was my rant. Hit me now. 😀

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Not surprising to me…my Makita didn’t make the top of the list.

Its a great tool, but its heavy and a bit large in diameter for most people. I have pretty big hands, so its not a deal breaker for me, but I can see how it would be a problem for some. A brushless update should help in both of these departments (hint hint Makita!)

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I sold my Makita because the Ridgid was just so much better feeling in my hand. I’m glad the Ridgid did as good as it did.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’m glad the Ridgid did as good as it did.

RIDGID is making some good stuff and the warranty can’t be beat.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

And the blades? At around $15 a piece they are frickingly prohibitive.

They are, but I find the third party blades just don’t last as long.

One of the things I was told when I bought my first Fein 15 years ago was to try to dissipate heat buildup whenever possible via cutting back and forth. Plunging straight it really heats up a blade ajd ojce a blade has blued, they’re toast.

) I did the mistake to hold, not use, just hold a $400 cordless Fein. My fire wood is shaped beautifully, with style, compared to that block of ice. No thank you.

That’s about what I spent for my first one. Back then, money was a lot tighter, but I soon had no regrets as it made certain jobs so much easier. It was years til most people would discover this type of tool when was likely the Fein patent running out. Of course when it did the Fein’s dropped in price like a stone and I bought myself a second one but this time with the newer design for quick blade changes.

Before I did I called Fein Canada to ask them if they were made the same as the old ones except for the blade change mechanism and whether they were still made in Europe and not Asia. I got a positive reply from them on both of my concerns.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Not surprising to me…my Makita didn’t make the top of the list.

Its a great tool, but its heavy and a bit large in diameter for most people. I have pretty big hands, so its not a deal breaker for me, but I can see how it would be a problem for some. A brushless update should help in both of these departments (hint hint Makita!)

I have to say that is the one thing I don’t care for about my Makita OMT. It is really big in the hand.
    And it really could use a light.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

It’s stamped steel, probably something around 1050 steel. They make dozens of thousands per hour. It’s a consumable. Their price is a rip off.
    I buy my blades on amazon: $26 a 12 pack. Guess what: they’re good for fein too

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01MQ0D02E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@doobie
    , have you tried the Imperial blades? IMO, they are just as good as Bosch or Fein blades, and they are cheaper too!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@doobie, have you tried the Imperial blades? IMO, they are just as good as Bosch or Fein blades, and they are cheaper too!

The Imperial blades were very reasonable at the sale last Sunday and I’m still kicking my self for not getting the 4 pack for 16 bucks.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Always nice to see some serious consideration being given to what to look for in tools. Thanks for posting this @dirtywhiteboy. I’m not in the market for one, and have been exceptionally happy with my Bosch Starlock OMT, but I love seeing the merits and rooms for improvement on all the brands’ take on this tool.

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

@doobie, have you tried the Imperial blades? IMO, they are just as good as Bosch or Fein blades, and they are cheaper too!

The Imperial blades were very reasonable at the sale last Sunday and I’m still kicking my self for not getting the 4 pack for 16 bucks.

That brand I had not tried yet, although I have heard positive comments about in the past. I just hadn’t found them in my travels and was reluctant to order them online.

But not long ago, I saw that LV started carrying them although they are not as cheap even in Canadian dollars as he mentioned.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=71693&cat=1,43456

I’d like to get some for the 18V Starlock Bosch OMT I bought recently but I still haven’t got my head re-wrapped around what blades will fit on it. I remember Boyd (@Dabbs) explaining what was compatible with what a few years back, but I’ve totally forgotten how all that worked and never printed or bookmarked his post from back then. Doh! Can somebody give me the rundown on that or have a link to how the different OMT blade types are compatible?

I see LV also sells these no-name blades also which are much cheaper even than the Imperial ones.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=75649&cat=1,43456

Or are those Imperial blades also, but a cheaper line of theirs?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That was a good deal you passed up, but that sometimes happens, BTDT myself many times, wishing i got the sale price after the sale ended.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

KeeganC
    Pro
    Bloomington, IN

It’s stamped steel, probably something around 1050 steel. They make dozens of thousands per hour. It’s a consumable. Their price is a rip off.
    I buy my blades on amazon: $26 a 12 pack. Guess what: they’re good for fein too

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01MQ0D02E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve been buying those EZarc brand blades too, sure they aren’t quite as good as an imperial, Bosch, fein, etc, but at 25-50% of the price of other blades, they work great and I don’t feel bad about tossing them after a few uses.

Also found it strange that they had no tolerance in this review for trigger activated omt’s. I used a friends dewalt on a job for a couple tasks and quickly fell in love with the ease of use of the trigger. Not enough to get into a new battery platform, my corded fein is just “fine” with me, but wouldn’t mind having the makita cordless for quick tasks since I already have the batteries.

Excellent review and read – one of the best I have seen…well done! Dirty – thanks for posting the link.

Orange County, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.408 seconds