dcsimg

A Cute Little Shiny Diamond Plate Project, Guess What It Is

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Either a cover for a dash gauge or it’s a helmet for Puppy Monkey Baby.

lol it is a helmet, medieval style.

Ok the helmet guess made me laugh, Maybe if I can persuade the dog I’ll see if it fits him.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had a feeling it might be for a motorcycle, since it’s not a headlight cover is it a headlight mount?

Pretty good guess, I can see that one…….But I kinda tricked yous all again with that hint. Yes it’s for a Harley, But not a bike. A golf cart lol 🙂 ..Sorry, That may have been a bit towards the meanish side. Here’s a pic of it…… A very special friend saw it and said it looked like a frog LOL, So that’s what I call it now to the owner lol

Even though I am out of guesses, or rehashing ones that have already been put forward, I have to say nice work for a jigsaw, hand roll and the ballpeen 🙂

Thanks, I’ve been more into metal fab than woodworking all my life. Since I don’t work anymore I pretty much lost easy access to the cool machinery, So I got into woodworking more now. To be honest I enjoy metal fab more, And my shop wasn’t near as dusty before either lol

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

To be honest I enjoy metal fab more, And my shop wasn’t near as dusty before either lol

That’s for sure. All of my woodworking gets done outside. Way too much dust.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok here’s the story behind why I made it

This is the buggy that quit running a few years ago and after the owner took it to a few repair shops with no success he gave up, They all told him the engine needed rebuilt ($1200) so I brought it home to do that for him to save him some $$$. But it didn’t need rebuilt at all, It still had good compression and the crank seals were ok. It just had major ignition and fuel issues, (the only other two needs for it to run)….I got it running great at my house at 4500ft elevation but up at his town it’s over 6000ft and it seemed a little slower/suffocating/sluggish to me.

I knew it was starving for air but rather than lean it out with a smaller main jet I decided the design of the air filter was very restrictive, It has a huge air filter but the stock housing intake opening is only bout the size of a quarter 1″ish.

I took the housing and air filter off and it ran great again at his house, But of course ya can’t run it like that. I could have but didn’t want to drill a bunch of Redneck holes in the housing as this buggy is a classic 1977 Harley, So this was the next solution.

Yes I could have exposed the entire filter by just making a plate for the top of it to hold it in place but the back tire would drench it if he got into rain/mud/grass etc (see pics).

So, With this design the open filter will be protected by a shield facing rearward towards the back tire and it’ll still get plenty of air 🙂

Here’s more pics

Clev08
    Pro

You were right, I would have never guessed that! Good thinking to protect the filter before it happened and became a problem

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

So, With this design the open filter will be protected by a shield facing rearward towards the back tire and it’ll still get plenty of air

Had me fooled when you said Harley. LOL

Good mod to open up the filter but to also have it protected at the same time.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

@Dabbs, thats some nice work!! Do you have much time invested?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@dabbs, thats some nice work!! Do you have much time invested?

Maybe 2 hours in this little project, but a LOT more time and expense in getting the buggy running. I had it for over a month, He paid for the parts but I didn’t charge him anything for my services. And I went to his house to get it (85 miles) + 1 night motel, then take it back when done………Total of 340 miles lol

But it doesn’t matter, He’s an 84 year old man and I like helping people that appreciate it. It’s suppose to be good karma??? 🙂 …. Plus I like the challenge of working on engines, and I just couldn’t let this old Harley die. It’s a classic

Hey @dabbs how’s about a taillight cover for a truck/trailer something like that?

Hey @dabbs how’s about a taillight cover for a truck/trailer something like that?

Looks like it could be some sort of head or tail light cover??

I guess it does look like it could slip over an industrial tail light or even a roof mounted strobe light, but nope. Nothing like that………

The power is out where I’m at this morning, when it comes back on I’ll post another pic with a hint 🙂

Blah!!!!! I thought I had it for sure!

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

dabbs, thats some nice work!! Do you have much time invested?

Maybe 2 hours in this little project, but a LOT more time and expense in getting the buggy running. I had it for over a month, He paid for the parts but I didn’t charge him anything for my services. And I went to his house to get it (85 miles) + 1 night motel, then take it back when done………Total of 340 miles lol

But it doesn’t matter, He’s an 84 year old man and I like helping people that appreciate it. It’s suppose to be good karma??? 🙂 …. Plus I like the challenge of working on engines, and I just couldn’t let this old Harley die. It’s a classic

Man that’s really cool of you Dabb’s. It is definitely good karma to help other’s.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Always sleep better after helping someone out. Karma is nice to have with you not against you for sure.

Doobie

Kudos to you Boyd for coming to the rescue. 👍

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

But it doesn’t matter, He’s an 84 year old man and I like helping people that appreciate it. It’s suppose to be good karma??? …. Plus I like the challenge of working on engines, and I just couldn’t let this old Harley die. It’s a classic

Kudos to you Dabbs. Always good karma when helping out someone who really appreciates the things done for them.

— Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boyd nice mod for the air filter. Hopefully that will cure the problem. Very nice work by the way.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

@Dabbs I knew what it was all along lol not at all, you had me.

Great story, and what a great guy, saving them tons of cash, and even engendered a good air filter cover,

Thanks for another great thread.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Man that’s really cool of you Dabb’s. It is definitely good karma to help other’s

Always sleep better after helping someone out. Karma is nice to have with you not against you for sure.

Kudos to you Dabbs. Always good karma when helping out someone who really appreciates the things done for them.

Honestly I Hate Karma, Seems like I only get the bad side of it. Karma Sucks!! lol ……

But I do like to help a friend in need, Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside 🙂 . And as long as I know they appreciate it it’s a win win

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Man that’s really cool of you Dabb’s. It is definitely good karma to help other’s

Honestly I Hate Karma, Seems like I only get the bad side of it. Karma Sucks!! lol ……

But I do like to help a friend in need, Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside 🙂 . And as long as I know they appreciate it it’s a win win

What a great feeling. help a friend and save a classic all in one.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Boyd nice mod for the air filter. Hopefully that will cure the problem. Very nice work by the way.

@dabbs I knew what it was all along lol not at all, you had me.

Great story, and what a great guy, saving them tons of cash, and even engendered a good air filter cover,

Thanks for another great thread.

I finished it off yesterday, I decided it may need some strength in the center at the wing nut. The original has some there too, As you can see by the design of the filter and the way this tightens down I was worried about it flexing out of shape as the filter center is hollow . I don’t remember it having a raised lip like the picture but it may have, Plus I used some fairly thin diamond plate.

So here’s what I came up with, Just made a simple fender washer type thing out of thicker diamond plate that should catch the filter body and then a stainless steel washer on top of that. Also added some 1/8″ foam insulation tape to them both cuz of the gaps created from the diamond plate material, Without it anything small enough (sand) could get sucked directly into the center of the filter and into the engine

Anonymous
    Inactive

What a great feeling. help a friend and save a classic all in one.

Yep, Plus he owns a bar and takes good care of me there 🙂 . It all comes out in the wash

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

So here’s what I came up with, Just made a simple fender washer type thing out of thicker diamond plate that should catch the filter body and then a stainless steel washer on top of that. Also added some 1/8″ foam insulation tape to them both cuz of the gaps created from the diamond plate material, Without it anything small enough (sand) could get sucked directly into the center of the filter and into the engine

Dabbs,
    That turned out great. Do you have a picture of it on the cart?

— Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.588 seconds