dcsimg

A Cordless Belt Sander!

This topic contains 46 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  WoodsConstruction 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

For those of you who like to use belt sanders, Rigid has now come out with a cordless belt sander. I think this is a first for this type of sander. Interesting. Here is a link: http://www.toolboxbuzz.com/cordless-tools/ridgid-gen-5x-18v-belt-sander/

Yeah, thanks for the link Lon, I saw that the other day,
    I think ridgid is really coming out with some great cordless tools lately, even the cordless nailers they put out,
    Might have to look into maybe adding another battery platform soon

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

22 minutes of run time is a lot more than i thought it would have. Scribing cabinets and counter tops, it would be handy, not to deal with the cord. We do not do enough of that to justify it for me however.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I wish we can get beltsander from bosch but they dont make one

There a lot of good belt sanders out there.

Attachments:

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

22 minutes of run time is a lot more than i thought it would have. Scribing cabinets and counter tops, it would be handy, not to deal with the cord. We do not do enough of that to justify it for me however.

hmm only 22 minutes of run time, was hoping for at least an hour per battery.

22 minutes of belt sanding is quite a bit – For the things I see this used for, 22 minutes running would span at least an hour since Id imagine checking and rechecking would easily be 2/3 of the time.

Throw in 30 minute battery charge times (ish) and you get all day running with two batteries in rotation – and at a 1/3 duty cycle usage (no idea what its rated for) I doubt it will heat up too much

I dont see this as a replacement for a big 4X24 or bigger belt sander for all-day use, but for a quick scribe or two, 22 minutes of runtime is a lot

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

22 minutes of belt sanding is quite a bit – For the things I see this used for, 22 minutes running would span at least an hour since Id imagine checking and rechecking would easily be 2/3 of the time.

Throw in 30 minute battery charge times (ish) and you get all day running with two batteries in rotation – and at a 1/3 duty cycle usage (no idea what its rated for) I doubt it will heat up too much

I dont see this as a replacement for a big 4X24 or bigger belt sander for all-day use, but for a quick scribe or two, 22 minutes of runtime is a lot

Yeah that’s exactly how I see it being used, it’s just the convenience of no cords, just like the cordless router

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yeah that’s exactly how I see it being used, it’s just the convenience of no cords, just like the cordless router

Some guys work where the nearest power is 150′ away and then all the outlets are full….

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I really like the cordless belt sander, and cordless router from Ridgid both on my list.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Some guys work where the nearest power is 150′ away and then all the outlets are full….

I suppose that’s true – but are there that many scribes to do that it would burn through a bunch of batteries? And if so, wouldnt it make sense to hook up a more full sized sander anyways?

I love better battery life and all, but I can’t think of many times where this tool would be limited by battery life – same as the trim router

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I suppose that’s true – but are there that many scribes to do that it would burn through a bunch of batteries? And if so, wouldnt it make sense to hook up a more full sized sander anyways?

I love better battery life and all, but I can’t think of many times where this tool would be limited by battery life – same as the trim router

No doubt there are times that a corded belt sander or router is a must. But the times I could use cordless these two would be great.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I really hope the router and belt sander do well enough that other brands follow up with their own versions – I would love a cordless Colt for instance!

Charlie

Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

That’s true, but I’m sure those guys don’t just have one battery,

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Have batteries is a must.

Dirty

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I really hope the router and belt sander do well enough that other brands follow up with their own versions – I would love a cordless Colt for instance!

Me too, they already make a cordless die grinder it can’t be that much different. Although I have heard the cordless die grinder is pretty crappy. If they made a cordless colt it would have to be brushless.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This is true. It looks like almost all the tools RIDGID sells are bare tools. Do they have the cordless router in a kit with charger and batteries?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

This is true. It looks like almost all the tools RIDGID sells are bare tools. Do they have the cordless router in a kit with charger and batteries?

Not that I have seen Bill. I think this one is bare tool only.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I bought the impact with a battery and charger for 99 bucks.

Dirty

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Here is another review to check out.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I agree, it’s definitely not a replacement for a full sized corded belt sander, and shouldn’t be looked at as one. It’s more of a convenient cordless alternative for quick and smaller jobs.

However like just about any cordless tool if you have enough batteries you probably could run it non stop full time as if it were corded.

I agree, it’s definitely not a replacement for a full sized corded belt sander, and shouldn’t be looked at as one. It’s more of a convenient cordless alternative for quick and smaller jobs.

However like just about any cordless tool if you have enough batteries you probably could run it non stop full time as if it were corded.

That’s where I see the greates benefot to investing in the same battery platform- I have a lot of Bosch 18v batteries, and can bring them all if I need to – and enough fast chargers that I can run forever if need be.

So for something quick to moderate, I am untethered, and for something longer, I can charge a few fatpacks at a time and rotate as I go. As far as I know, the upper limit on requirement is 4 fatpacks with 3 quick chargers. If you have that, you will never run out of battery power.

That said, for most tools, a single spare battery is all it takes

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.413 seconds