dcsimg

A Cordless Belt Sander!

This topic contains 46 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alex WoodsConstruction 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 47 total)
  • Author

For those of you who like to use belt sanders, Rigid has now come out with a cordless belt sander. I think this is a first for this type of sander. Interesting. Here is a link: http://www.toolboxbuzz.com/cordless-tools/ridgid-gen-5x-18v-belt-sander/

Profile photo of Austin
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I would love to get both a cordless belt sander and trim router that they have. I really don’t want to get into the ridgid cordless line however. If a red one comes along I will get it.

I see that looks okey i guess but for aome reason on any belt sander i felt if you push it down hard enough motor slows down i dont know how is that gonna work on battery power belt sander. Belt sanders are power hungry. I wish we can get beltsander from bosch but they dont make one

Profile photo of Austin
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I see that looks okey i guess but for aome reason on any belt sander i felt if you push it down hard enough motor slows down i dont know how is that gonna work on battery power belt sander. Belt sanders are power hungry. I wish we can get beltsander from bosch but they dont make one

My dad has an older bosch belt sander and it’s great. I don’t know why they stopped making them. But imo the old made in the USA porter cable belt Sanders are the best

Thanks for showing us information / link. It’s a great review.
    I still have to watch the videos tho.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Profile photo of Frank
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

For those of you who like to use belt sanders, Rigid has now come out with a cordless belt sander. I think this is a first for this type of sander. Interesting. Here is a link: http://www.toolboxbuzz.com/cordless-tools/ridgid-gen-5x-18v-belt-sander/

Ridgid is starting to up their game with cordless tools.
    I really like the looks of the sander and the reviews have been promising.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Profile photo of Bill
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

After watching the review I’m impressed. This and the cordless router need to be in my shop. Ridgid has stepped up their game.

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Not a tool that would be top of my list but I can see how handy it could be for some jobs. I could use one for scribing, for sure. How readily available are 3 x 18 belts? That is a size I have not encountered before..

There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in.
    Leonard Cohen

Profile photo of Jeff
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

its definitely interesting to see a cordless belt sander.. not a tool i would expect to see cordless. i have a feeling TTI might stick to just having the cordless belt sander within the rigid lineup, as of right now im pretty sure milwaukee has yet to even have a corded model. not to mention they might be wanting to use the rigid line to test teh waters with more obscure tools so to not tarnish the m18 fuel line like the nailer has

Profile photo of Tom
    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Not a tool that would be top of my list but I can see how handy it could be for some jobs. I could use one for scribing, for sure. How readily available are 3 x 18 belts? That is a size I have not encountered before..

My thoughts exactly. I dont remember the last time I used a belt sander. It may have been to clear some grooves on the truck rotors. LOL

But really scribing cabinet work its still the use.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Profile photo of r-ice
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

this is awesome, i’ve been eyeing sanders recently and belt sanders have seem to fallen by the wayside but with ridgids 18v one, i hope they are making a comeback, i could definitely use one.

Profile photo of Ron
    RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

My dad has an older bosch belt sander and it’s great. I don’t know why they stopped making them. But imo the old made in the USA porter cable belt Sanders are the best

Yes the old 504 sanders were the best made in my option.

I like the idea of a cordless belt sander.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

I see this as handy for scribing in place, which is just about the only thing I still use a belt sander for these days

Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

My thoughts exactly. I dont remember the last time I used a belt sander. It may have been to clear some grooves on the truck rotors. LOL

But really scribing cabinet work its still the use.

I have a 3×18 Makita and have never had issues finding belts at HD, although online is much cheaper with a better choice of grits and brands

Profile photo of Jeff
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

yah belt sanders arent really a high use tool.. only guys i see using htem are cabinet guys and hardwood floor refinishers regularly

Profile photo of Alex
    WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I think it looks pretty nice. @austin I agree 100% it would be great to have along with their cordless trim router. They would make a great pair, aside from needing another platform.

Profile photo of Warren
    Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I think a cordless orbital 5″ sander would be much better. I think Makita used to have one, but I don’t know if they still make it. Having all of the trim tools available in cordless would be pretty sweet. The power demands are not quite as great as they are for framing, and it is really easy to have chargers set up there too.

Profile photo of Greg
    GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Wow it does look like Ridgid is upping there game. The belt sander does look like a nice handy tool with no cord. I don’t think I will buy one as I have a corded belt sander that I hardly use. But I am with @warren6810 that cordless orbital 5″ sander would be much better. I will be keeping my eyes on what Ridgid brings out in the future. I only own a Ridgid router that works good.

Greg

Profile photo of Jeff
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

the makita cordless palm sander is still availabe.. its just tricky to find in stores

Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

Bosch does make a 1/4 sheet sander that is 18v but it’s NAINA

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 47 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.628 seconds