dcsimg

8" Skil Saw Outlaw Worm Drive Metal Cutting Saw.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

It is both a catch and a shroud. I was amazed how much chips it held. it is odd to get used to emptying your saw.

Interesting concept, I wonder if that is in response to an upcoming safety requirement to contain sparks on the job site.

What requirements are those? I haven’t heard anything about it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Kurt for helping with the answers. It is a nice concept and pretty efficient.

Sven, I am just finishing my review , I really do loike the chip catcher, it works well.

It does, and the saw is really nice. Would like to take the 12″ chop saw for a spin some time. I’m sure that one is amazing as well.

Thanks Kurt & Sven, Yeah I’d like to try that 12″ Chopper myself. I wonder if it has a chip catcher too??

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I wonder how fast the chip catcher fills up and what happens when it’s full?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good question, It would be a pain if it fills up fast and ya have to stop a lot to empty. Since it’s also the shroud the chips must get reground up by the blade til they can fly out the bottom or something, Sounds hard on the blade. I’m sure that would create a lot of heat too

redwood
    Pro

Good question, It would be a pain if it fills up fast and ya have to stop a lot to empty. Since it’s also the shroud the chips must get reground up by the blade til they can fly out the bottom or something, Sounds hard on the blade. I’m sure that would create a lot of heat too

I would think there has to be some separation between the blade and where the chips are stored. It does seem like the shroud would fill up somewhat fast.

What type of metal work is this saw actually intended for. Metal roofing and siding?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would think there has to be some separation between the blade and where the chips are stored. It does seem like the shroud would fill up somewhat fast.

What type of metal work is this saw actually intended for. Metal roofing and siding?

I know a guy that has one and says he actually cut 2″ solid square stock with it. But as quoted in Svens review;

This saw, according to the manual which was included states that 2 ½” x 2 ½” x ¼” as the maximum. After cutting the stock that I had available, I can only assume this restriction is based only off of the blade size. I had no problems cutting the angle iron.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It does seem like the shroud would fill up somewhat fast.

What I’m wondering if a guy needed to cut a mass of one length and went to the stack of 18ga. say 2×6 and pushed one full layer out and made a line would it cut them all say 20 of them with out filling up?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would say it would probably cut all of that without filling up. I had made a lot of miscellaneous cuts then cut a leg off of a channel that was about 2′ long and almost 3/8″ thick. After the second cut it was full and I emptied it, but that would equate to a lot of 18 GA studs

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

How fast it will fill up is directly proportionate to the thickness of the stock you are cutting. After the 10 cuts of angle it was getting pretty full, but it wasn’t close on the thinner aluminum.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

How fast it will fill up is directly proportionate to the thickness of the stock you are cutting. After the 10 cuts of angle it was getting pretty full, but it wasn’t close on the thinner aluminum.

Must be like dust control trying to contain flying stuff at the work site. Guess if you have the saw you’ll have to monitor the chip catch and make sure to empty.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Can you see a cut line of do you need to make a off set line?

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I would say from the pics Sven posted it will be hard to see the cut line. Not much of a sight window.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I would say from the pics Sven posted it will be hard to see the cut line. Not much of a sight window.

It looks like you just fallow the groove on the front of the table and do a hail marry.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

it will be hard to see the cut line. Not much of a sight window.

Looks rather small and hard to see.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is it possible to remove the chip catch and just let em fly? Probably not a good idea though

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Is it possible to remove the chip catch and just let em fly? Probably not a good idea though

@Dabbs,
    Looking back at Sven’s pictures

It appears that there still is a blade guard but the chips shute looks like it would send the chips toward the user.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I don’t think that would be a good idea. I think the chips would fly back at you.

An offset line would make things much easier, but it could be done. I didn’t pay too much attention to it as I was just doin rough cuts. I was able to make some really thin cuts though sing the sight window.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

:

I don’t think that would be a good idea. I think the chips would fly back at you.

Good point Sven. They probably want to contain the chips for various reasons.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

:

I can see breathing hot metal chips being detrimental to you health. lol.

Anonymous
    Inactive

:

I can see breathing hot metal chips being detrimental to you health. lol.

Ouch lol, Yeah my buddy says with the one he’s got (I forgot the brand) he insists on using a full face shield because of the flying hot chips

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.530 seconds