dcsimg

8" Skil Saw Outlaw Worm Drive Metal Cutting Saw.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

The Skil Saw 8” Metal Cut Saw at first glance looks just like any other worm drive saw. But when you look closer it is a fine piece of machinery, with the attention to detail expected from this company. The handles are solid and comfortable, wearing both gloves or not. Some tools have handles that are large, making them uncomfortable to hold with gloves on, but this isn’t the case. Trigger feel is smooth, and a nice solid click leaving no guess work on power being sent to the motor.

Left of the trigger handle is the depth adjustment guide. A simple lift of a cam lever releases tension for proper depth adjustment. Adjustment marks are clearly marked every ¼”. These cast and black filled markings range from ¼” to 2 ¼” for adjustability of cutting various materials and outlined well in the owners manual.

The upper part of the saw is also overbuilt to incorporate a “chip catch”. The chip catch can be easily removed from the saw with the push of a single button located at the top front of the cover. Simply push the button, swing the catch away from the saw and lift it out of place. This cover is comprised of a heat shield on top, to help reduce heat, and a metal mesh screen on the side which provides ventilation. The chip catch is filled from the top, and on the main housing of the blade, there is a feed that chips are channeled through, guiding them into the catch. The chip catch is also simply enough emptied out by turning it upside down and shaking. While the chip catch did a great job, it didn’t catch all of the chips made when cutting. Some were still noticed on the saws shoe, the ground, and workspace.

I liked the arbor washer, with it’s raised letter writing and directional arrow for removing the arbor screw, it really gives a classic feel.

Other markings, beautifully crafted let you know that it is a true Skilsaw Wormdrive saw. The 77 stamped in the handle screw, the Skilsaw markings around the saw, all give it a nice quality feel.

There are some other things though, that will reveal themselves in time to be problems or not. The vent holes for the motor, and motor housing are large and open. While they will be able to keep the motor filled with fresh air when being used, I have some concern that they may become filled with metal chips, and thus ruining the motor. Causing shorts, or maybe some other issues. As I mentioned previously, not all of the chips are caught. I think it may be possible at a sight that isn’t kept clean, chips could find their way in there.

I’m am also interested to find out how well the cut view windows hold out. Being that they are made out of glass I saw the possibility of them being broken if the saw is thrown around too much.

So, on to the meat and potatoes of the review. How did the saw cut for me? I used this saw to cut extruded aluminum, roll formed foam filled aluminum, galvanized steel tubing with .6mm walls, and 2″ x 2″ x ¼” angle iron. The aluminums were no work for the saw, and it cut through them like butter leaving clean crisp cuts. Both of these materials fed the chip catch with fine aluminum chips that were easy to empty out.

The galvanized steel tube also was cut smoothly by the saw. These tubes are constructed of rolled steel, with a fold over and pressed seam. On the seam, the saw slowed slightly, but cut through without issues. I never felt that I had to actually use force to get the saw through the material. Checking the chip catch after 10 cuts, there was significantly more particles contained within.

This saw, according to the manual which was included states that 2 ½” x 2 ½” x ¼” as the maximum. After cutting the stock that I had available, I can only assume this restriction is bassed only off of the blade size. I had no problems cutting the angle iron and the weight of the saw itself was enough to pull the saw through when it was angled 45* downward. I actually held some of the saws weight. All of the cuts were smooth, with only slight burrs at the end of the cuts where the metal would fall to the ground. The chip catch for the angle was much fuller than the other metals, and after cutting the angle, the chip catch was almost hot to the touch. Since I could touch it though, I don’t believe that it was hot enough to create any issues, and it cooled off quick. It was of course a thicker material. After 10 cuts in the angle it was about as full as I would want it to be.

Cutting any of these materials was simple. In the end, I could cut them as thin as I wanted without issue. In all, the Saw is a great buy, and I expect it to serve me for many years to come. If someone does a lot of metal cutting, this is definitely a saw to purchase.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Excellent review. I have used the Milwaukee, which is pretty nice, but if I ever have to buy one I would probably get this one.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

looks like a beaut! i am really impressed that it could handle slices that thin. Now this is for untreated steel right?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Great review Sven.
    How did you find the blade? Are the teeth still good to go?

Good thing that it doesn’t throw sparks like an abrasive.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

looks like a beaut! i am really impressed that it could handle slices that thin. Now this is for untreated steel right?

Just plain old angle iron. The steel tube is galvanized, but nothing fancy.

Great review Sven.

Thanks.

Excellent review.

Thank you.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

awesome review sven!

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

@svensshutters great review Sven, I hope one day to put together a detailed review like yours,
    I don’t really need a metal saw, but after reading through your review, very tempting,

redwood
    Pro

Thanks Sven, do you know or expect it to be able to cut rebar?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Great review Sven. Sounds like a really nice saw.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sven, you did a great job on that review!

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Wow that was the best review I’ve seen here in a long time, thanks Sven

monman1
    Pro

Great review svensshutters!

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Good one Sven, I don’t think there will any problem with chips in the motor. I have cut miles of steel 2×6 18ga. with a regular skil HD77 and it had no issues with chips in the motor.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I see no reasons why it would not be able to cut rebar. I’ll look to see if Ihave any laying around and check it out this weekened.

Good one Sven, I don’t think there will any problem with chips in the motor. I have cut miles of steel 2×6 18ga. with a regular skil HD77 and it had no issues with chips in the motor.

Thanks Randy for the information. Good to know. I know that there was someone that had problems with impacts or something that was having issues because of metal chips, and it came to mind as I was looking at the saw.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sven very nice review, Thank you for posting. Great job.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Sven very nice review, Thank you for posting. Great job.

Thank you Bill.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Super review Sven, I like how it’s designed with the blade on the left. I didn’t know it even has a chip catch, Although your pics are great I’m still not sure exactly where it is. but it doesn’t matter, I really really need to get one of these. Thanks

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

That was a great in depth review. Enjoyed reading all your thoughts and experiences with it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have cut rebar with my 18volt saw but with the price of blades I’d stick with other ways to cut the rebars.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Super review Sven, I like how it’s designed with the blade on the left. I didn’t know it even has a chip catch, Although your pics are great I’m still not sure exactly where it is. but it doesn’t matter, I really really need to get one of these. Thanks

The chip catch is the piece that gets removed that has the screen. I’ll find a good picture of it a little bit later. Gotta go and drop some stuff off at the dump.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.662 seconds