dcsimg

6 panel door

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I currently have a flat hollow wood door and replacing it with a 6 panel hallow door to modernize the home. I got it used and it has a few scratches and ding.

My questions is how can I fix the dings since it looks like the face of the door is like particle board? 2nd is what the best way to paint the door. I want it white so painting it with a brush or roller?

Thanks.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

The new door is made of what?

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

When you bust a piece of particle board the busted part has a shred soft feel. One spot of the door I tried sending on has that same texture.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Buy a new slab.
    It’s much cheaper than fixing a busted one.

Doobie

I currently have a flat hollow wood door and replacing it with a 6 panel hallow door to modernize the home. I got it used and it has a few scratches and ding.

My questions is how can I fix the dings since it looks like the face of the door is like particle board? 2nd is what the best way to paint the door. I want it white so painting it with a brush or roller?

Thanks.

When you bust a piece of particle board the busted part has a shred soft feel. One spot of the door I tried sending on has that same texture.

Show some pics so we can see exactly what you have there and are dealing with.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Thanks.

It’s difficult to patch a 6 panel door . And make it look right. Most have a wood grain pattern to them.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I will echo what the others are saying, so it all depends on the amount of damage. Light scratches and dings can be repaired on wood and even particle board.

On real wood putting a damp rag on it then a hot iron will swell the fibres and with patience will take the ding out, depending on the depth. DO NOT do this with particle board. Water is a no no on it.

Seeing as you plan to paint anyway, and if it is particle board, you can sand the area a bit and fill it. Auto body filler works great for this. Note that if you have an embossed wood grain this will ruin the look. If it is a plain flat panel you are set.

After the filler has dried I would sand it, then cover the whole door with high build primer. You can find this also in the auto paint section of the store in a spray bomb. Sand, repeat if needed, then paint.

Be careful about which paint materials are compatible with each other. If you are in doubt, a sealing primer like Kilz, which is alcohol based can be painted over with just about anything. Auto primer ought to be pretty safe though.

Protect your lungs while spraying paint.

I generally filter the air through a cigarette….lol (that part was a joke, don’t do this).

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Thanks.

It’s difficult to patch a 6 panel door . And make it look right. Most have a wood grain pattern to them.

It’s very difficult , but I have done a few in the past
    I used a foam paint brush and when the plaster or putty starting to set after I’ve smoothed it out , I’ll just lightly trowel the brush over it try to replicate the grain , definitely not perfect but those times worked for me because usually they were behind the door and sometimes a coat hooks were placed slightly higher than the previous one was.

A good quality paint and brush also follow the grain.

Good luck with that , let us know how it worked out.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan
    Anonymous
    Inactive

A new slab is less a hundred bucks.

There’s not a really good way to make a patch look good on a 6 panel door.

If it’s really small, just painting over it might be the best thing.

As far as painting, I use a mini-roller. A brush will leave noticeable lines in the door. I’ve never felt like breaking out and then cleaning the sprayer for a door. 😮

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Thanks for the comments. I got the doors for next to nothing.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

A new slab is less a hundred bucks.

Around here a new slab is around $30 CAD.

I have a few pics.

Kinda hard to see by the picture , you said hollow ?
    What’s the bottom , is that foam or something.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I have a few pics.

It’s not foam it’s wood. The middle of the door is hallow inside. It’s not a solid.

I have a few pics.

It’s not foam it’s wood. The middle of the door is hallow inside. It’s not a solid.

Ah ok just from the picture it looks like it’s blackened almost looks like foam

Doobie

Like Jim Daddy points out well, it’s a fair amount of work, and even then, it may not turn out right enough that you’ll be satisfied.

Is the damage at the bottom only?

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Top and bottom. Door was slightly to tall so I had to cut some off. So I ended up trimming off the top and bottom and looks nicer. Lucky on me.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Sounds like the best solution is to give the door fresh coat of paint and call it done. If the dings and marks are in places that are not noticeable. A coat a paint might get you by until you buy a new door. Alot depends on what you want.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Top and bottom. Door was slightly to tall so I had to cut some off. So I ended up trimming off the top and bottom and looks nicer. Lucky on me.

Ah ok , that will take care of it , how much did you trim off , those end and top fillers are not very big or thick if you want , if I recall correctly they are around 1 inch or something like that.

Doobie

So basically problem solved other than maybe a coat of paint?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.266 seconds